Author Topic: Parkhouse Hill and Chrome Hill  (Read 4566 times)

joester

• Veteran Member
Parkhouse Hill and Chrome Hill
« on: 21:42:36, 25/05/09 »
A bankholiday Monday spent on a short but steep Peak District ridge-walk...

The route is self-explanatory, the terrain suprising, and the views are superb.

Approaching Parkhouse Hill from Earl Sterndale.

A flat bit after a very steep bit.

Approaching Parkhouse's 'summit'.

Descending Parkhouse.

Chrome Hill from Parkhouse Hill...

... and Parkhouse Hill from Chrome Hill.

Final part of the ascent (!) of Chrome Hill.

In retrospect it would be a better walk the other way round, we'll save that for another time I suppose.
Parkhouse would actually be a Grade 1 scramble in the other direction (I.e. climbing up from side you can see in the last photo.  On Chrome Hill you (mostly) get the choice to use your hands as well as your feet, but there's plenty of rock to scrabble about on if you want to!
solvitur ambulando

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
Re: Parkhouse Hill and Chrome Hill
« Reply #1 on: 14:28:35, 28/05/09 »
Descending Parkhouse.

That reminds me very much of the Crib Goch arête, only with more grass! ;D Great photo's, looks like you had a good day. O0 I've not been to that part of the White Peak before and it looks like I'm missing out so I'll have to schedule in a walk there.  ;)
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

Walking Mummy

« Reply #2 on: 20:31:35, 28/05/09 »
Hey Joester

Is this a good walk with kids?

Kathryn
www.thats-perfect.co.uk - the perfect advertising solutions for you!

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:06:56, 28/05/09 »
Hey Joester

Is this a good walk with kids?

Kathryn

Perhaps not -

It would depend on what your kids are used to. 
I don't think I would openly recommend others to take their kids over Parkhouse Hill.
Care is also required on Chrome Hill, the East flank is precipitous.

Neither need be any more alarming than an ascent of Thorpe Cloud in Dovedale, though nervous children and their parents might do better than to descend/ascend the north edge of Parkhouse (the 'path' is a steep gulley to the right of the limestone pillar visible in my 6th photograph). 

It is actually two concessionary footpaths that run across the tops of the hills, it being deemed as Access Land in 2000 (before that, the landowners would actively dismiss rogue walkers from these hills). 
Public footpaths run here and there either side of both hills, the valley is beautiful enough without making an ascent.

Park in quiet Earl Sterndale, and potter out from there.  We took the path from the Quiet Woman pub (it goes through the pub's yard and out the back).

Go and have a look!
solvitur ambulando

Cogstar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:59:50, 29/05/09 »
Kathryn if your kids were ok on The Roaches I think they will be fine on Chrome Hill  through summer months. It'll also feel like they climbed a real hill too and it is a gorgeous valley.

Just make sure they can walk the 'there and back' distance though. Pop into Longnor afterwards for treats.  :D
Get Big Picture

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 00:23:12, 31/05/09 »
At last a ridge I may be able to manage! I've had chrome hill on the list for a while. I think it's one to do before we go to the lakes - a short but demanding ridge line.

Whilst I may not be able to handle striding edge I think I can manage this one.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy