Author Topic: Advice please, Which Hilleberg?  (Read 5097 times)

taxino8

Advice please, Which Hilleberg?
« on: 13:11:30, 06/04/19 »
I’m considering saving up and lashing out on a Hilleberg tent but haven’t any experience of them except watching loads of YouTube videos.
I’ve narrowed it down in my head to either an Akto, Soulo or a Niak, I’ll only be using it from Spring into Autumn and I’m leaning towards the Niak because of the extra space (I like a bit of room and I’ve seen the Akto likened to a coffin!).
Any advice from people who own or have owned these tents will be greatly appreciated.

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Advice please, Which Hilleberg?
« Reply #1 on: 13:44:17, 06/04/19 »
If you're only going to be using it spring to autumn, do you really need something that bombproof? Hilleberg tent are expensive twice or even three times as much as other brands. Personally, I wouldn't say they were any better that other quality brands.

Alto's are cramped, Soulo's are heavy, not seen the Niak.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:51:28, 06/04/19 »

What Owen says.

You could buy a top notch 3 season tent for half the price of a Hilleberg, and a perfectly serviceable one for a quarter of the price.

Are you backpacking, wild camping, or 'boot of the car' camping?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

taxino8

« Reply #3 on: 13:53:01, 06/04/19 »
If you're only going to be using it spring to autumn, do you really need something that bombproof? Hilleberg tent are expensive twice or even three times as much as other brands. Personally, I wouldn't say they were any better that other quality brands.

Alto's are cramped, Soulo's are heavy, not seen the Niak.
I’m at an age where I can more or less buy what I want gear wise, within reason, so thought I’d like to upgrade and go a bit lighter and also have some comfort knowing should the weather get really wild I’d probably not have a tent around my head.
Thanks.

taxino8

« Reply #4 on: 13:54:15, 06/04/19 »
What Owen says.

You could buy a top notch 3 season tent for half the price of a Hilleberg, and a perfectly serviceable one for a quarter of the price.

Are you backpacking, wild camping, or 'boot of the car' camping?
A bit of wild camping and hopefully some backpacking too.
No intention of car camping, I’ll be up on a hill somewhere in the UK.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:06:46, 06/04/19 »
I had a look at the Niak, curiosity got the better of me, and I am struck by how similar it is to the £340 TrekkerTent Saor, which is a slightly smaller one man 4 season tent weighing in at 1.25kg. A tent that I have had my eye on.

I know which one I would go for.

http://www.trekkertent.com/home/home/35-saor.html#/colour-green_40d_silnylon

Owen has a different model made by TrekkerTent, if I recall correctly.

taxino8

« Reply #6 on: 17:13:27, 06/04/19 »
I had a look at the Niak, curiosity got the better of me, and I am struck by how similar it is to the £340 TrekkerTent Saor, which is a slightly smaller one man 4 season tent weighing in at 1.25kg. A tent that I have had my eye on.

I know which one I would go for.

Thanks, I’ll have a look. Just the sort of information I’m after.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:16:34, 06/04/19 »
I have to laugh at the Hilleberg prices - £43 for a set of 10 Y extruded alloy tent pegs (I paid £4 for 6 exactly the same in Millets), and £12 for a set of 10 plastic guy line runners (I bought what looks like exactly the same thing from ebay for £1.66). Rip off, in my opinion.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:20:54, 06/04/19 »
Thanks, I’ll have a look. Just the sort of information I’m after.

I've just noticed that the Saor tent is subject to design change. I believe that TrekkerTent are a one man band, and that the tents are made to order. I particularly like this line on their website - "Trekkertent will work directly with customers to tailor these products to a specific fit or functional requirement." Why not get in touch?

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:14:10, 06/04/19 »

I have the Phreeranger, very well made, up to similar standards to Hilleberg tents. I'm happy to use it year round. I also have both the summer and winter inner tents. The summer one has mesh sides, the ground sheet is made of a very shiny silnylon. The winter inner has solid sides and a Matt finish ground sheet. Weighs 1250g summer and 1300g winter.

taxino8

« Reply #10 on: 20:55:33, 06/04/19 »

I have the Phreeranger, very well made, up to similar standards to Hilleberg tents. I'm happy to use it year round. I also have both the summer and winter inner tents. The summer one has mesh sides, the ground sheet is made of a very shiny silnylon. The winter inner has solid sides and a Matt finish ground sheet. Weighs 1250g summer and 1300g winter.
Thanks, I’d never even heard of them.
Just been on their website and had a look and will now do a bit more research.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:08:09, 06/04/19 »
Weighs 1250g summer and 1300g winter.

So little difference between the two!

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:20:54, 06/04/19 »
You just have to watch the lead time, order it well in advance of when you want it.

Snowman

« Reply #13 on: 00:34:10, 07/04/19 »
I note a number of adverse comments on the Hilleberg, and wonder how many of the originators actually have one?   I hadn't commented because I don't have any of the models that the OP listed, but I do have the Nallo 2 and have been using it for most of this century.  It's a great tent, but the prices have really rocketed since I got mine, in fact the Nallo 2 is now more than double what I paid.   I'm sure that some of the other tents mentioned are good tents and may suit the OP's requirements, but ease off on the negative comments if you've never owned a Hilleberg.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:07:32, 07/04/19 »
I note a number of adverse comments on the Hilleberg, and wonder how many of the originators actually have one?

My only negativity is about their ridiculous prices, Snowman. I'm sure that they are great tents.

Would you pay £43 for a set of 10 aluminium tent pegs that could be had from China for £3.81 ?
They probably even came from the same factory.
« Last Edit: 08:11:06, 07/04/19 by richardh1905 »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy