Author Topic: The must sees/walks of Exmoor National Park  (Read 4659 times)

NewWalkerMark

The must sees/walks of Exmoor National Park
« on: 13:28:32, 21/02/18 »
Hi All,

I have next Friday off to before heading to Barnstaple for the start of a weekend away, and so I want to finally spend a day walking some small part of Exmoor...

Are there any places you'd recommend someone must see/visit, if they only have a day there?

Thanks in advance :)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: The must sees/walks of Exmoor National Park
« Reply #1 on: 14:48:03, 21/02/18 »
Hi All,

I have next Friday off to before heading to Barnstaple for the start of a weekend away, and so I want to finally spend a day walking some small part of Exmoor...

Are there any places you'd recommend someone must see/visit, if they only have a day there?

Thanks in advance :)

Dunkery Beacon. Highest point, great views and the main tracks are hard enough not to get too slutchy at this time of year. Good pub in Exford too when you have finished, the one by the bridge. I can point you to some routes on Harold street.org.uk or gpsies.com
Solvitur Ambulando

NewWalkerMark

« Reply #2 on: 08:32:36, 22/02/18 »

Dunkery Beacon. Highest point, great views and the main tracks are hard enough not to get too slutchy at this time of year. Good pub in Exford too when you have finished, the one by the bridge. I can point you to some routes on Harold street.org.uk or gpsies.com

Wow that's great, thank you. I will look into this over the weekend, I bet the views are awesome. I'll probably have between 9-3 or so, so hopefully that'll be plenty of time to park up somewhere (got to look into that too), have a walk around and up Dunkery Beacon, and maybe time for a quick pint somewhere before moving on!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:39:44, 22/02/18 »
Wow that's great, thank you. I will look into this over the weekend, I bet the views are awesome. I'll probably have between 9-3 or so, so hopefully that'll be plenty of time to park up somewhere (got to look into that too), have a walk around and up Dunkery Beacon, and maybe time for a quick pint somewhere before moving on!
There are parking areas off road round the Beacon. If you search for Dunkery Beacon on the sites I mentioned you should find some gps traces to give you an idea of routes.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rather be walking

« Reply #4 on: 12:36:45, 22/02/18 »
Trentishore Down and on to Holdstone Hill. Wonderful views up and down the coast, I think the weather is going the be good.

Jon.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:15:38, 22/02/18 »
Trentishore Down and on to Holdstone Hill. Wonderful views up and down the coast, I think the weather is going the be good.

Jon.

Or in the same area.  NT Car Park Hunters Inn - take the Hobby Drive out to Woody Bay and return along SWCP taking in Heddon's Mouth on the way back finishing at pub - a personal favourite of mine.  https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=fbjpqkfazppocizo
« Last Edit: 15:19:41, 22/02/18 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Rather be walking

« Reply #6 on: 15:52:23, 22/02/18 »
Or in the same area.  NT Car Park Hunters Inn - take the Hobby Drive out to Woody Bay and return along SWCP taking in Heddon's Mouth on the way back finishing at pub - a personal favourite of mine.

Of course, I once wild camped down by coastal at Heddon's Mouth when I walked the SWCP.
There's always Great Hangmans and Little Hangmans.
That's it I got go there soon  O0

Jon.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:24:49, 25/02/18 »
The ones already mentioned are all really good. Other faves of mine are walking from Lynmouth up the river to Watersmeet, then continue following the Coleridge Way as far as Ashton Cleave where you head up to County Gate. Cross the A39 and join the SWCP which you then follow back to Lynmouth.
That's a long day out around 12-13 miles.
If you don't have time for the full loop you can cut up to Countisbury from Watersmeet then join the coast path for a route of only 4.5 ish miles, you could add another couple of miles to that by walking down to the lighthouse at Foreland Point.

My other suggestion would be Badgeworthy Coombe from Malmsmead made famous as the setting for Lorna Doone. As you head up the Coombe the valley gets wilder then you return over open moorland on the bridleway over Manor Allotment and South common to Oare Church where Lorna is shot in the story when she is about to marry John Ridd. This walk shows the sort of route I mean
http://www.theaa.com/walks/down-the-doone-valley-420931  8.7miles, could be made shorter.

Enjoy every sandwich

Dan1902

« Reply #8 on: 17:42:24, 25/02/18 »
This is quite helpful as I'd been planning my next wild camp and had Exmoor in mind, taking in Dunkery Beacon. Not been to the area before and
Just sorting out my route on the OS map.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy