Author Topic: Viewranger V Garmin  (Read 2323 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Viewranger V Garmin
« Reply #15 on: 23:17:40, 21/10/19 »
That's very interesting.  I've also had the VR app (non-subscription) for a long while now and just gone (for the first time) to activate the buddy beacon (via the start track recording button).  After asking me to set the timings and pin number, I started recording my trip and there it tells me the buddybeacon is active and last sent position at [time].  No subscription required  :-\

Trying to "follow myself" on the computer is proving more difficult, despite having inputted the user name and pin number, apparently I'm invisible  :(

[/time]  <<<<   Edit: ha! just realised that typing stuff in square brackets can be read by the forum programming coding thingy and it's switched my time command above off   ;D

Apache

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: 23:31:10, 21/10/19 »
Thanks everyone. I need to rethink. Personally I am thinking Garmin 20 with Spotgen 3 at the moment. Unfortunately OS is just too unstable with all the attendant mobile phone issues (mainly battery life) as well.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 23:45:46, 21/10/19 »
That's very interesting.  I've also had the VR app (non-subscription) for a long while now and just gone (for the first time) to activate the buddy beacon (via the start track recording button).  After asking me to set the timings and pin number, I started recording my trip and there it tells me the buddybeacon is active and last sent position at [time].  No subscription required  :-\

Trying to "follow myself" on the computer is proving more difficult, despite having inputted the user name and pin number, apparently I'm invisible  :(

[/time]  <<<<   Edit: ha! just realised that typing stuff in square brackets can be read by the forum programming coding thingy and it's switched my time command above off  ;D
I suspect if you have had VR a long time you were also upgraded to Premium as an early adopter. I do recall getting an email about it some ago.
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 23:47:55, 21/10/19 »
Quick response, they've confirmed you need a plan so ninthace is correct  O0
When she married Mr Right,Mrs Ninthace didn’t realise my first name was always. (An oldie but goodie)  O0
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 00:09:52, 22/10/19 »
Thanks everyone. I need to rethink. Personally I am thinking Garmin 20 with Spotgen 3 at the moment. Unfortunately OS is just too unstable with all the attendant mobile phone issues (mainly battery life) as well.
That is quite an expensive alternative. £138 just for the unit then the price of a subscription on top.  If you were prepared to use an app and baulk at £4.99 pa why not just send your location by SMS.  If it is just rescue you want, register your mobile for emergency SMS. https://www.ngts.org.uk/how-to-use-ngt/contact-999-using-ngt.htm
Basically text Register to 999 and follow the instructions. Once registered you can text for help. SMS can get through on the weakest of signals.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 07:55:50, 22/10/19 »
When she married Mr Right,Mrs Ninthace didn’t realise my first name was always. (An oldie but goodie)  O0

Didn't realise we had the same first names  ;D
Where there's a will ...

Apache

• Account Closed
« Reply #21 on: 09:29:20, 22/10/19 »
That is quite an expensive alternative. £138 just for the unit then the price of a subscription on top.  If you were prepared to use an app and baulk at £4.99 pa why not just send your location by SMS. 

The subscription is not the issue (although we have now correctly answered the o/p question.

I am getting ready for retirement and long distance walking, unsupported and camping. I am looking for a lightweight, rugged and reliable answer for navigation, safety and possibly communication. The mobile phone has too many shortcomings. I feel that the Garmin 20 series will be a great navigator (AA batteries can be bought anywhere). A mobile phone is almost certainly needed on TGO challenge to call into control and a beacon such as Spotgen 3 or Oceansignal PLB 1 would be a sensible backup. If the number of stoves that I have gone through is a guide I am going to get it wrong first though. :(

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 11:37:17, 22/10/19 »
If you are going into the Great Outdoors where phone signals are hard to come by, Buddy Beacon was probably not an option.  Definitely register your phone with the emergency services though, it is a belt to your braces.  As I said, you can send SMS messages telling people where and when you are and what your intentions are is also useful as a back up.  Otherwise a gps tracker with satellite communication is a good option.  There are technical solutions to keeping batteries charged such as spare power cell and/or solar to recharge your phone.  I have never had the need to go beyond Buddy Beacon in the areas I walk (Lakes, Dales, Pennines, SW UK and the Alps), so I leave it to the ruffty-tuffty walkers on the forum to advise you on satellite based options.
You might want to look at this thread too http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=31153.0
You might also want to reconsider your thread title.  It reads as if you are comparing the ViewRanger app with Garmin satnav whereas I think you need to attract replies from the users of gps trackers.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 20:22:29, 22/10/19 »

Didn't realise we had the same first names  ;D
It is obviously quite a common name, as it is also my first name.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 11:01:31, 23/10/19 »
It is obviously quite a common name, as it is also my first name.
Common, moi, Common????

Popular, not common. Seems most of us share the same name.  :D
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy