Author Topic: Head Torches  (Read 2783 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Head Torches
« on: 16:24:26, 29/10/19 »
Yep, it's that time of year again when there's a possibility I might be ending a walk in the dark.... erm, sorry, I mean ... want to go exploring caves and things and need both hands free.

My current headtorch casing has somehow managed to crack so I'm looking for a new one.

Any suggestions on what features I should be looking for?  Lumens, adjustable, rechargeable or not, swanky new features I'm not aware have been invented, etc.

Ta muchly  :)

Pitboot

Re: Head Torches
« Reply #1 on: 17:10:43, 29/10/19 »
I have a Petzl tikkina, very light, three beam settings, uses 3 AAA batteries but you can get a rechargeable pack for it that is USB powered off your car or computer. It's simple and robust, and probably all you need. Mine cost £17 from Cotswolds with a bit of discount.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:18:03, 29/10/19 »
 I have recently bought a Petzl Tikka... 3 beam settings, red light for reading which can also flash. 350 lmns.
  £23 from Blacks after using Ramblers discount and a little haggling.
It's all uphill from here.

Lee R

« Reply #3 on: 19:37:14, 29/10/19 »
Petzl Tikka. White light in several settings (& a red light which I wanted for photographing the night skies/Milky Way)

Amazon £20ish

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:34:59, 29/10/19 »
Cheers guys.  It looks like a Petzl of some sort is the way to go.  I shall have a look at the spec of both the Tikka and Tikkina and take it from there  O0

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:52:16, 30/10/19 »
Yep, it's that time of year again when there's a possibility I might be ending a walk in the dark

That possibility has increased for us in recent times and we thought our old Petzl Tikkas were not really bright enough for walking in all types of terrain.
We bought a pair of Petzl Actik 300-lumen ones that were considerably brighter on the highest setting but of course still have a low setting for use in the tent.

Patrick1

« Reply #6 on: 12:24:21, 30/10/19 »
I'm hankering after a Nitecore NU25 - USB rechargeable, everything from 30mins at 360 lumens to 7 days at 1 lumen, essentially negligible weight and doesn't break the bank.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:54:37, 30/10/19 »
VGH - yes, my current one was predominantly used in my tent on a low setting - thanks for reminding me I need to take that into consideration too.

Patrick - not heard of Nitecore before - I will take a look, cheers.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:02:16, 30/10/19 »
Mel, you might also check out these https://www.alpkit.com/collections/lighting

Just been issued with one for SAR work and its excellent
Where there's a will ...

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:06:26, 30/10/19 »
I replaced my Alpkit Viper with the Petzl because the Viper became unreliable..I had to keep resetting the batteries and it would work and then inexplicably it would stop.
It's all uphill from here.

taxino8

« Reply #10 on: 18:13:35, 30/10/19 »

I’m a Petzl person myself and just replaced my old one earlier this year with the Actik.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KYTTHKA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:05:31, 30/10/19 »
Petzl, Ledlenser and Kalenji are my go-to brands.
Petzl I mostly use for caving (custom Duo personally and Pico for groups), though I do carry an eLite during summer when I have no intention of going out after dark and a selection of Tikkas that used to be group caving ones that I use for low intensity night work. Myo is a good model, but I've never spent on one as I've got some many other things I can use.
Ledlenser for planned after dark walking, like in August when I arrived in the evening so did Tryfan knowing I'd be descending in the dark.
Kalenji for running.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Dread

« Reply #12 on: 19:50:44, 30/10/19 »
I've got the Nightcore NU30. Very  light. Rechargeable batteries. Will work off my  battery  pack if needed although I never have needed. Hasn't let me down yet although I haven't had it long and haven't got it wet.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:45:42, 30/10/19 »
Lots of options to choose from now  :D

I will update with what I ended up getting sometime after payday  O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:55:23, 30/10/19 »
Petal headtorches are bombproof, simple, and the batteries last ages. The bottom of the range Tikkina is not too pricey, will do the job just fine, and will not let you down.

I have the Tikka+ which has a brighter max setting and a red light, but I hardly ever use these. If I were buying now I would go for the Tikkina.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy