Author Topic: Karrimor boots and shoes - any good?  (Read 37205 times)

Hawkeye

Karrimor boots and shoes - any good?
« on: 14:13:01, 23/07/19 »
Back in the 80s and 90s my dad had plenty of Karrimor gear. As i remember it was well respected, high quality gear. Then i think 10 years ago or so the brand was purchased by Sports Direct and it became cheaper in price and quality. Having said that i purchased a Karrimor soft shell jacket 4 or 5 years ago and it's incredibly good (although it was around £90, so not cheap).

My question is has anybody purchased any Karrimor boots or shoes recently, and are they any good? I popped into Sports Direct at lunch time and on the face of it the gear looked to be decent quality.

Your thoughts would be welcomed.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Karrimor boots and shoes - any good?
« Reply #1 on: 14:34:57, 23/07/19 »
Wouldn't touch them now with a barge pole  O0
Where there's a will ...

Hawkeye

« Reply #2 on: 15:15:43, 23/07/19 »
Wouldn't touch them now with a barge pole  O0

Thanks - but why - do you have any personal experience of them these days?

tom83

« Reply #3 on: 15:47:01, 23/07/19 »
I've got a pair for Karrimor boots, and I've got to say they are like 2 different boots in different conditions. I'm currently looking at replacing them, and they are hardly worn.

On grass and soft surfaces they are fine, lightweight and comfortable, decent ankle support too. But on rough ground they are shocking, I climbed Skiddaw recently, and I felt every single stone and sharp rock through the sole. It was that bad I actually considered putting my trainers back on for the walk back down.

The soles are way, way too soft, and they don't have sufficient grip for even damp surfaces, so you find yourself slipping a lot, especially in places you wouldn't expect to slip.

Would I recommend them, not really, unless you plan on very easy walking, but if your planning on walking on rough ground, definitely not.

Ralph

« Reply #4 on: 15:57:44, 23/07/19 »
I will never buy anymore Karrimor boots as the last pair lasted just 4 months.The soles are soft because they are basically air inside, discovered this when I took them apart. It's a shame because Karrimor gear was always great quality & used by many. You only have to look at who owns it now, unless he's sold it on.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:00:47, 23/07/19 »
I think they're alright as a beginner's entry-level boots for low/mid level walks in dry weather.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:57:49, 23/07/19 »
When I got into walking distances four years ago, I bought some Karrimor boots. Turned out that for all the reasons I now know they were too small after a few miles. Now wear them  in the allotment and they have been great, soles stand up to using spades etc. So cannot be all bad.  They are also absolutely waterproof. Last year I  bought some Karrimor trailrunners , just to see if  I  liked trailrunners as opposed to wearing boots. They are also great. Soles are lasting well uppers are as waterproof now as they were when new. All in all very pleased with them. Turns out I wear them nearly all the time now due to their comfort level. I walk 4 miles daily at least as part of my exercise routine mostly urban walking  and much longer distances on treks etc as often as I can. No complaints at all except that I really hate those fancy pull buckle type lacing systems which makers think we should have nowadays. Next pair of boots will probably be Alt-Bergs due to their longevity and absolute certainty of fit. And at my age hopefully they will last me until they get thrown into the oven with me.
Too little, too late, too bad......

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:08:37, 23/07/19 »
Yup, I swear by my Karrimore walking shoes.  Cheap as chips, robust and very comfortable. If perhaps a little heavy compared to trail shoes.  Regularly walk 15+ miles.  I'm not daft enough to think they are waterproof despite the liner.  If it looks wet underfoot I wear my boots.
« Last Edit: 21:14:14, 23/07/19 by BuzyG »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:35:18, 24/07/19 »
I think that Karrimor are very much a case of you get what you pay for. So if you are not doing much rough walking, if you are only just starting and may hate walking in 3 months time or if you have kids with growing feet then they are fine. You will probably get 5 times the miles out of a boot costing 4 times the price.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:59:38, 24/07/19 »
When you consider they are now in the budget sector of the outdoors market, they represent excellent value for money.
Maybe they will not last as long as say a Scarpa or Meindl product, but they represent good value, and should not be ignored simply because their a budget product.

Ive just bought one of their 15Litre day sacs, for the princely sum of £12.

On examination, you can see its not made to the exacting standards of maybe a Camelbak sac or other top brand, but it will certainly last the owner quite a few years of use, and blimey its comfortable on your shoulders.

Its even made from a ripstop nylon material, so should be fairly durable.

But it only cost £12, that's less than some of the socks in Cotwolds.

With Karrimor, you get what pay for, cheap and cheerful products that should last the user a few years of good use, and because you have not blown the bank in purchasing the stuff, there is no real room for any complaints.
« Last Edit: 12:07:41, 24/07/19 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:12:45, 24/07/19 »
And if it only cost you £12 where was it made, by whom and how much did they get for making it?
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:31:12, 24/07/19 »
And if it only cost you £12 where was it made, by whom and how much did they get for making it?
Yep Ninthace, you have hit the nail fairly and squarely on the head.My dilemma is, if I stop buying this type of goods what will happen to those so employed. Is something better than nothing.
I do worry about the answer to that conundrum.
Too little, too late, too bad......

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:02:31, 24/07/19 »
Yep Ninthace, you have hit the nail fairly and squarely on the head.My dilemma is, if I stop buying this type of goods what will happen to those so employed. Is something better than nothing.
I do worry about the answer to that conundrum.

My Son (and his Fillipino wife and daughter) live in Cambodia which is one of the world's main manufacturing countries(along with neighbouring Vietnam) for 'cheap' clothing.

The workers get paid 'pennies' but, as you say, it is at least employment and allows them to feed their extended family.

It is interesting to note that when they visit 'home' they comment that the Cambodian produced clothing and shoes are around half the price they are in Cambodia. I know there are no tariff's / duties applied to developing nations but the freight and packaging costs alone must add a fair bit to the 'landed cost' in the UK.

https://www.business-humanrights.org/en/video-cambodia-from-sex-workers-to-human-trafficking-the-high-cost-of-cheap-clothes

It is a moral dilemma

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:18:03, 24/07/19 »
I think that Karrimor are very much a case of you get what you pay for. So if you are not doing much rough walking, if you are only just starting and may hate walking in 3 months time or if you have kids with growing feet then they are fine. You will probably get 5 times the miles out of a boot costing 4 times the price.

Not so in my experience of Karrimore walking shoes.  They are both durable and  comfortable.  Yes you get the odd mist stitch,but as you can buy three pairs.  They are almost certainly going to out last more expensive brands.  I wear them all summer long on Dartmoor plenty of rough ground up there. 

nesty

« Reply #14 on: 13:03:34, 27/07/19 »
I had Karrimor new and old, what I mean when they were made in the UK when British, then latter Mike Ashley just bought the name up and now made in China.

The old UK pair were good last for years, though the latter (china) ones I'd thought I try, did ok for a year then top eyelet came off and started leaking etc.

£12 is a ok deal though depends on what your putting them through. Though I think I mentioned in another thread nearly everything is made in China now. I saw a pair of Anatom walking shoes (£90), hi tec ones (£50) and another unheard of brand (£30) and the walking shoes were exactly the same, all probably built on the same production line.
Pay your money, make your choice!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy