Author Topic: The Night Before, The Morning After  (Read 3111 times)

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
The Night Before, The Morning After
« on: 06:38:20, 28/09/07 »
Go on, what do you do?

Personally I pour over my maps, and check them alongside Panoramio or Google Earth (I got this idea form here somewhere), repack my sack several times, making sure I have everything I need.  Charge my batteries for my camera.  Count my number of pepperamis and Mars Bars. Try and raise some enthusiasm from family and friend - "You might not see me for some time .."

The Morning After I always start the day with a long shower.  Sort my pictures out, maybe write a report for here on in my diary.  Clean my boots and clothes. Try and raise some enthusiasm from family and friends - "I've seen things, been places .."

O0

peter60

Re: The Night Before, The Morning After
« Reply #1 on: 07:55:35, 28/09/07 »
Much the same, really. Only I start staring at the map a week or more before going! The aerial view idea is great. I used Multimap to view my last outing in Snowdonia, looking for the dam around Llyn Eigiau. I wanted to see if I could make out the breach that killed several people in 1925 when the wall gave way. It was plainly visible from the aerial shot and then that much more poignant when seeing it in real life. I try to memorise the route to minimise the amount of map reading.

Then there's the packing of the waterproofs, the packing of the Double Decker bars  :) and nutri-grain bars  :buck2:. Filling up the Platypus, charging the phone and camera batteries, packing my lunch, survival bag, laying out the map case, compass, stick, boots, gaiters etc.

Afterwards it's shower, photos on the pc and start editing them. Then it's boots cleaned and allowed to dry slowly before re-waxing. Scrape the crud off the gaiters, trousers or waterproofs and email a few photos around.

It's all part of the fun!  :)

irongrip

« Reply #2 on: 22:22:54, 28/09/07 »
Preperation is all part of the build up. Gets you excited and ready for the day.
Everything you need to know about hand strength
http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/ [nofollow]

Feriol

« Reply #3 on: 23:14:47, 28/09/07 »
The night before i'm usually pretty hectic. i like everything ready so all i have to do in the morning is brush my teeth, get dressed and go.

The Morning after i will probably go through the photos, and bore my family with them if they will let me. Somtimes i go over the map along with the photos and try and pick out where each shot was taken. I am naughty, since i don't think i have ever cleaned my kit the morning after, sometimes that gets put off for a couple of days.
sun dogs fire on the horizon
meteor rain stars across the night
this moment may be brief
but it can be so bright
(Rush - Chain Lightning)

Deerplay

« Reply #4 on: 23:57:54, 28/09/07 »
Try not to get too het up beforehand. I'm not a great one for GPS routes etc. Try to check map and if there is stuff on Tinternet, I have a look. Otherwise do butties and set alarm so that I can be where I want to start at dawn. 4am in summer. After, have food, drive home, a couple of drinks and bed. Shower if mucky. In summer I often start early and finish at dinner (lunch for southerners). So I have a dinner having done an 8 hour walk.
Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the Earth?

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:08:07, 29/09/07 »
4am in summer. After, have food, drive home, a couple of drinks and bed. Shower if mucky. In summer I often start early and finish at dinner (lunch for southerners). So I have a dinner having done an 8 hour walk.

:o Bloomin' 'eck, the earliest I start is 7.30am/8.00am, I must admit I'd like to start earlier but am reliant on public transport or friends/family to give me lifts places.

How come you do this? There's the walking in the dawn I suppose, which is always lovely. I'd find it strange to be home by 1.00pm, with the rest of the day still in front of me.

Deerplay

« Reply #6 on: 13:14:35, 29/09/07 »
It used to be de rigeur for alpine ascents. Start off in dark and get it out of the way before it warms up and avalanches become a threat. So I suppose i got into the habit. It's also good if you want to do popular summits. When I did 3 peaks I was on the summit of Pen y ghent by 6am not another soul around. By contast, Ingleborough nearer 12, was heaving. So thats why really. And I'm a bad sleeper!

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:04:31, 29/09/07 »
Preparation is all part of the build up. Gets you excited and ready for the day.
O0 i cant wait to lay all my gear and equipment out to pack in my rucksack and check Ive not forgotten anything..,every time Ive been abroad i always forget something but Ive been planning this trip for a couple of months now and i ain't forgot anything..,i go on the 3rd October for a week and I'm so buzzing.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:10:28, 02/10/07 »
  ;D :D :D :D ;D Well im almost packed now it being 2nd October the night before just gotta tighten my straps on rucsac attach my sleep mat to base of sac have a look over my maps and read abit more about the routes and mountains im doing,my bunk is booked and saved for me at YHA HELVELLYN for the 1st night and then its 4 or 5 days/nights wild camping and fell climbing,im BUZZIN like crazy, i cant wait to take a load of pix and i'll try and post em on here if i can sort out how to do it properly,SEE YOU IN A WEEK PEOPLE.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:13:09, 02/10/07 »
Chow fella, have a good time!  8)

si

« Reply #10 on: 20:06:56, 02/10/07 »
have a great time!!!! ;)

irongrip

« Reply #11 on: 21:00:30, 02/10/07 »
Have a great time!  :D
Everything you need to know about hand strength
http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/ [nofollow]

Deerplay

« Reply #12 on: 23:25:16, 02/10/07 »
Enjoy it. Looks like OK weather. Don't overdo the Guinness (as if!)

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 00:41:08, 03/10/07 »
 O0 ;D O0 CHEERS... MR B..,DEERPLAY..,IRONGRIP..,SI..,chat to you when i get back.., :coolsmiley:

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:05:51, 03/10/07 »
Have a good one and stay safe   ;D
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy