Author Topic: A little insane?  (Read 1133 times)

nightkitten

A little insane?
« on: 22:12:38, 08/02/18 »
Hi everyone,
I've been walking a while more or less, it is normally just a plod around the local country side.
Somehow I've got it into my head that I would like to walk from Carmarthen to Brighton. Not sure if I will ever do it as I don't even know where to start and if anyone wants to put me off this they are welcome  :D
On the other hand I am grateful for any motivation or suggestions in conquering such a great distance and planning a safe route.  O0

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: A little insane?
« Reply #1 on: 06:44:16, 09/02/18 »
Hi everyone,
I've been walking a while more or less, it is normally just a plod around the local country side.
Somehow I've got it into my head that I would like to walk from Carmarthen to Brighton. Not sure if I will ever do it as I don't even know where to start and if anyone wants to put me off this they are welcome  :D
On the other hand I am grateful for any motivation or suggestions in conquering such a great distance and planning a safe route.  O0
Have a look at some maps and good luck
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:36:44, 09/02/18 »
Welcome to the forum. A little insane? You'll be in good company here!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:44:18, 09/02/18 »
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I don't want to put you off at all.

Why Carmarthen to Brighton?

RogerA

« Reply #4 on: 09:45:20, 09/02/18 »
Welcome to the forum nightkitten from North Warwickshire

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:53:40, 09/02/18 »
Welcome from the City of Brighton and Hove     :)

You could follow the South Downs Way from Winchester to somewhere just to the north of Brighton eg the Devil's Dyke or Ditchling Beacon   :)
Sorry but I can't help with the Carmarthen end!
« Last Edit: 10:12:24, 09/02/18 by Dovegirl »

tom83

« Reply #6 on: 20:53:15, 09/02/18 »
How do, welcome in :)

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:35:24, 09/02/18 »
... I would like to walk from Carmarthen to Brighton ...  I don't even know where to start ...
Er, from Carmarthen?
Skip

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:06:45, 10/02/18 »
Er, from Carmarthen?
;D

To be more constructive - search for the books and maps produced by the Long Distance Walkers Association - the map would be a really quick way of showing you which routes you could join up to do this and also the gaps you’d have to plan yourself.
« Last Edit: 08:12:24, 10/02/18 by Percy »

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:13:08, 10/02/18 »
Map and compass and plenty of planing
you have 1 life live it

[Rgmw]largie

« Reply #10 on: 12:22:23, 10/02/18 »
Are you thinking of using the Coast path across South Wales ? It'll probably take a lot longer but there's some glorious sights to be seen :-)

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers

Dave
[Rgmw]largie

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:48:51, 10/02/18 »
Welcome and an Interesting proposition, I drew a straight line from my home town to the welsh coast. In my home county the straight line did not coincide with rights of way, then I managed to mould my route to that which was possible, that which suited the terrain and that which created a way, which fell in with the ideals I wanted the walk to reflect.

Looking at maps, so easy today with so much free mapping available on line. I suggest drawing a straight line on a road map east to the crossing of the River Severn, then look on more detailed maps where it will take you. As you start to walk the terrain starts to reveal itself, and the way starts to make sense.

It will never make sense if you try to jump from one national way to another.

I wish you pleasure in your enterprise, I enjoyed my walks following an idea.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Stube

« Reply #12 on: 09:54:28, 12/02/18 »
Welcome to the forum.

You may like to consider part of the Monarch's Way - Charles II's escape route after his defeat at the Battle of Worcester

If you ignore the Yeovil - Charmouth loop it is reasonably direct from Bristol to Brighton. It's generally well waymarked, but rarely signposted. It intersects with both the Cotswold Way and the South Downs Way and numerous other LDPs. It's marked on current OS maps.

Guidebooks and up to date trail information from:

http://monarchsway.50megs.com/

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy