Author Topic: MCoS call to save scenic mountains from wind farms  (Read 2139 times)

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
MCoS call to save scenic mountains from wind farms
The Mountaineering Council of Scotland (MCofS) is calling on the tourism industry to help in the campaign to save scenic mountain areas from industrialisation by huge wind farms.
   The MCofS wants to see a moratorium on further development in key mountain areas, particularly around the Munros and Corbetts which are the country’s highest peaks and amongst Scotland’s greatest visitor attractions.
http://www.myoutdoors.co.uk/index.php/outdoors-news/scotland-news/469-mcos-call-to-save-scenic-mountains-from-wind-farms

angry climber

• Account Closed
Re: MCoS call to save scenic mountains from wind farms
« Reply #1 on: 23:37:47, 03/09/12 »
I have never been a big fan of all this campaining against windfarms, Pylons etc etc. I have never known the Mamores without the Blackwater reservoir, Without the pipeline down to Kinlochleven, I have never known Ben Cruachan without the electricity generating station, Most Munro summits have man made trig points. Most have man made roads that take you to there base, Telegraph poles, Power lines. They are all common place in these "wild unspoilt lands" Lets be real about this. Britain is too small and too highly populated to really consider any part of it as truly wild. Alaska, Northern Canada, Mongolia then maybe but Scotland. I don't think so.       
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

footix2

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:04:59, 04/09/12 »
In would prefer offshore or coastal wind farms as opposed to plonking them all over the hills as it does intrude a little on the "wildness".

I don't get it, when I hear people stood on a fell like Grasmoor, moaning about a handful of wind turbines located about 10 miles away at Workington. It's less than 1% of the view and probably nicer to look out than the town itself.

I actually find wind turbines reasonably pleasing to the eye.

I find the complete opposition to them ridiculous, they are an important part of our energy production in this country and are needed to reduce the reliance on other dirtier energies (not to replace them). The stuff you get in TGO magazine frothing at the mouth about them is very off-putting and makes outdoor enthusiasts sound like nutcases.
82/214

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:31:55, 04/09/12 »
**** RANT WARNING ***** RANT WARNING ***** RANT WARNING ***** RANT WARNING *****

In would prefer offshore or coastal wind farms as opposed to plonking them all over the hills as it does intrude a little on the "wildness".

This would seem to be a sensible course of action, and one which most reasonable outdoor-lovers can probably live with.  O0

a handful of wind turbines located about 10 miles away at Workington. It's less than 1% of the view and probably nicer to look out than the town itself.

It's hard to argue with that!  ;D

I find the complete opposition to them ridiculous, they are an important part of our energy production 

Actually, they aren't. They are neither efficient, cost-effective nor a particularly useful contributor to the National Grid. What they are is expensive, "dirty" in their production, and were it not for MASSIVE subsidies that you and I as an energy-users are paying even BEFORE we get our hefty energy bills (subsidies that mea the energy companies get paid for producing electricity and paiD MORE for not producing, would be so unaffordable it would never get off the ground.

The stuff you get in TGO magazine frothing at the mouth about them is very off-putting and makes outdoor enthusiasts sound like nutcases.

Personally, I'm pleased someone with a high profile is making a stand about desecrating the few wild or wild-ish places we have left in the UK.

The real way forward would be to invest all the money used in subsidising wind energy into energy reduction programmes so we don't need to consume (or produce) the amounts of energy we now do. THAT is the sensible way forward, but will require energy companies to forgo their ENORMOUS PROFITS.

Something that'll happen shortly after hell freezes over.

Sorry, rant over!  :D

agentmancuso

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:18:41, 04/09/12 »
I have never been a big fan of all this campaining against windfarms, Pylons etc etc. I have never known the Mamores without the Blackwater reservoir, Without the pipeline down to Kinlochleven, I have never known Ben Cruachan without the electricity generating station, Most Munro summits have man made trig points. Most have man made roads that take you to there base, Telegraph poles, Power lines. They are all common place in these "wild unspoilt lands" Lets be real about this. Britain is too small and too highly populated to really consider any part of it as truly wild. Alaska, Northern Canada, Mongolia then maybe but Scotland. I don't think so.       

Same. It's NIMBY nonsense.

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: 21:28:13, 04/09/12 »
I noticed earlier someone mentioned TGO. They seem to go too far. They campaigned and stalled the pylon line from Beauly to Denny. It cost months and months of legal battles and gained nothing. It's only success was to stall the beginning of the build and this make it cost even more money.
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

Cathy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:46:55, 04/09/12 »
call me a yimby if you like 'yes in my backyard' but if I could afford it I would like a house with enough insulation, solar panels, wind turbines etc to be self sufficient in energy
Quit your jibber jabber, get some nuts

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy