Author Topic: Pennine Way 19 May to 2 June  (Read 24964 times)

Murphy

Re: Pennine Way 19 May to 2 June
« Reply #30 on: 20:18:00, 28/10/16 »
Me again....Lothersdale is Mrs. Foster - 01535 632744  

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 20:26:00, 28/10/16 »
The camping barn at Greenhead is the old byer at Holmstead  - I liked it.  I wasn't a lover of the hostel at Greenhead, its a bit large and has an empty feeling about it......but that's my personal view.  It does have all the facilities though....

Thanks.  I might rethink that then  O0
Where there's a will ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 20:27:00, 28/10/16 »
Me again....Lothersdale is Mrs. Foster - 01535 632744  

Fantastic. Much appreciated  O0
Where there's a will ...

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 20:32:05, 28/10/16 »
Just a point about Youth hostels Jon. I booked six hostels for my north to south in August next. Did it by phoning the main YHA helpline. They booked all of them for me ( plus three on the last leg of my SWCP in April). Really helpful; sorting out all the food etc at each place. This included Dufton. Did it about a fortnight ago. My only thought was that Dufton can be a bit of a bottleneck if you leave to too late.
Interestingly, the places at Torside and Middleton where I stayed heading north last year wont take bookings until Jan 3rd so I might just look at your Cotherstone option. It is quite a long day to Dufton so they must be dropping you off fairly early?
Just a question Your Advocate. I am thinking about stopping at Hen Hole hut overnight, having travelled up earlier in the day when I start from KY; then doing the 18 miles to Colin and Joyces, but presume it was Lamb Hill you stopped at? How long did a bad weather crossing take you?
John

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 20:34:05, 28/10/16 »
Took me 12 hours in bad weather. ..

Thanks for the other info   O0

Didn't find the Dufton leg too arduous  although hated Falcon Clints.  Planning to avoid them this time by heading up to the reservoir.
Where there's a will ...

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 11:49:32, 29/10/16 »
Re: Lothersdale. Sorry. I have no contact name or number for the bungalow. All I can suggest is to make contact with the pub landlord.

Murphy

« Reply #36 on: 14:56:39, 29/10/16 »
I have - it is as per previous post by me.....

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 22:50:24, 29/10/16 »
We stayed this year at the following places you're booked into:-
Ollerbrook Barn, Edale - great start for the walk
Miresfield Farm, Malham - could certainly do with updating, but was clean and very friendly, decent breakfast. Fine for walkers I suspect the bad reviews are more from tourists.
Fox & Hounds, Cotherstone - as mentioned in previous post
Lyndale, Bellingham - great B&B, very helpful, it was here someone walked off in hubby's boots and they made a lot of phone calls to sort it out for us, even offered to lend him a pair of boots, sadly the size was no good
Forest view, Byrness - no words needed, as wonderful as everyone on here said it would be.

Sue

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 01:04:45, 30/10/16 »
Cheers Sue, very useful  O0
Where there's a will ...

forest view

« Reply #39 on: 08:55:49, 03/11/16 »
Am doing the PW again in 2017; this time north to south.. Doing it in August and rang the YHA last week to book at Byrness (Forest View), Alston, Dufton, Hawes, Malham and Mankinholes. Got in all of them ok. Maybe because it is School holidays? They have nipped their prices up a bit.
Avoiding Tan Hill staying at Butt House in Keld. Got the rest still to book up. Bellingham, Greenhead, Middleton, Cowling or thereabouts and Crowden area...
Apparently there is a new YH opening up near Hadrians Wall late  summer 2017.

John
Hi if you don`t want to camp we do the 2 night stay with pick up for `north to southers` as well. We don`t usually do it from the bunkhouse but I would make an exception for one of my virtual friends. If you are interested ring me to chat. Joyce 
www.forestviewbyrness.co.uk 
# 1 place to stay in Byrness (Tripadvisor)

old geezer

« Reply #40 on: 20:46:09, 25/01/17 »
sussamb.i am backpacking near the end of may and i'm 76.i'll take 21 days though.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 21:20:20, 25/01/17 »
We stayed this year at the following places you're booked into:-
Ollerbrook Barn, Edale - great start for the walk
Miresfield Farm, Malham - could certainly do with updating, but was clean and very friendly, decent breakfast. Fine for walkers I suspect the bad reviews are more from tourists.
Fox & Hounds, Cotherstone - as mentioned in previous post
Lyndale, Bellingham - great B&B, very helpful, it was here someone walked off in hubby's boots and they made a lot of phone calls to sort it out for us, even offered to lend him a pair of boots, sadly the size was no good
Forest view, Byrness - no words needed, as wonderful as everyone on here said it would be.

Sue

Just FYI I'm booked into all of those ;)
Where there's a will ...

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 18:39:05, 27/01/17 »
Just a point about Youth hostels Jon. I booked six hostels for my north to south in August next. Did it by phoning the main YHA helpline. They booked all of them for me ( plus three on the last leg of my SWCP in April). Really helpful; sorting out all the food etc at each place. This included Dufton. Did it about a fortnight ago. My only thought was that Dufton can be a bit of a bottleneck if you leave to too late.
Interestingly, the places at Torside and Middleton where I stayed heading north last year wont take bookings until Jan 3rd so I might just look at your Cotherstone option. It is quite a long day to Dufton so they must be dropping you off fairly early?
Just a question Your Advocate. I am thinking about stopping at Hen Hole hut overnight, having travelled up earlier in the day when I start from KY; then doing the 18 miles to Colin and Joyces, but presume it was Lamb Hill you stopped at? How long did a bad weather crossing take you?
John

Hi Johny, The Auchope Hut 2 is roughly 8 mile in from KY, and the huts roughly 10 miles apart, so 10 miles from Hut 1 Lamb Hill to Byrness. My first crossing was against a strong heavy rain headwind and took around 12.5 hours, stopping briefly in both huts for a brew and change of layers.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 18:44:00, 27/01/17 »
That sounds exactly like my crossing in 2012.  See my blog 

http://penninewayat60.blogspot.co.uk
Where there's a will ...

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 21:39:42, 28/01/17 »
Am now all booked up for a 13 dayer (13th to 25th August) Dave. Joyce has kindly offered to pick me up halfway en route south if they still have a bed or I can stay at the first refuge hut or do the full section as day one. The refuge huts looked pretty cosy in summer at least when I was last there and it would allow me to arrive fairly late in the day at KY. Still undecided. As I think about it; N- S seems to have a different feel about it; but it feels the right option as I only did S-N in 2015 What do you reckon?
Looking forward to it now. The three B&Bs I booked all report more PW interest this year (may be the Spine effect). I imagine you cant wait Sussamb after 5 years away from it!
Still got 200 miles of the SWCP to finish beforehand however; a good few ups and downs

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy