Author Topic: Your furthest summit views?  (Read 14884 times)

Exit5man

• Veteran Member
Re: Your furthest summit views?
« Reply #15 on: 21:44:53, 23/02/12 »
Just to add to that . From Moel Eilio and Mynydd Mawr on a clear day you can see the Wicklow mountains .
Everyday when i wake up i thank the Lord im Welsh .

Never walk under a black cat :-)

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 22:18:02, 23/02/12 »
This is a brilliant thread  ;) Keep em comin! Great to think that you are never far from a distant fell  O0
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: 00:15:35, 24/02/12 »
From my house you can clearly see Ben Lomond, Ben Vorlich on Loch Earn, Stuc a Chroin and just to the righthand side of Ben Ledi you can see the summit of Ben More at Crianlarich which is about 45 miles to drive not sure about the crows route.   
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

docpaul

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 15:11:00, 26/02/12 »
From my house you can clearly see Ben Lomond, Ben Vorlich on Loch Earn, Stuc a Chroin and just to the righthand side of Ben Ledi you can see the summit of Ben More at Crianlarich which is about 45 miles to drive not sure about the crows route.   

Some mighty fine peaks there, OC  8)  - I'm not jealous at all, oh no!  ;D

Courage doesn’t always come in a loud roar.
Sometimes courage comes as a small voice at the end of the day saying,
“I’ll try again tomorrow.”

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 15:35:50, 26/02/12 »
Love this thread!  Thanks everyone for sharing their long distance views.

When I was a youngster and we came to the Lakes for our hols, it would
make the hol if we could see either the Isle of Man or Scotland.

They're not that far away, but it always seemed magical to see them.

Awesome the distances shared on here.  Thanks!
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

docpaul

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 21:09:17, 26/02/12 »
Never having been to the IofM, I always think of it as remote and exotic ... floating on the fringes of consciousness and looking inviting. I guess that's the thing about islands in general.

Seeing Ireland from N Wales is like that, too - makes you think what people felt in the past when travel wasn't so easy, and the only people who bothered were usually up to no good!  :o

Paulr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 23:00:10, 26/02/12 »
I knew folk who lived on the 29th floor in the Red Road flats in Glasgow - they reckoned that on a clear day they could see their furniture.....
The worlds most boring blog : http://fatscotsgit.blogspot.co.uk/

docpaul

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 20:11:01, 27/02/12 »
Now come on Paul - 200 odd Km from Spain to Africa I can believe, but this? Don't exaggerate!!  ;)

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 21:18:52, 27/02/12 »
On a clear night, we can see the moon from our back bedroom window. That's pretty far.

Sooz214

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 22:10:49, 27/02/12 »
Went up onto Winter Hill a couple of weeks ago when the far Lakeland fells were just dusted with snow and my companion managed to make out Skiddaw - 75 miles away :o 
Let's go to places where mountains rub shoulders with heaven

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 14:47:06, 28/02/12 »
Last summer I spent a week at Glengyle, N end of Loch Katrine and rather than drive to such locations as Ben Lomond etc we walked from the door of our self catering apartment in the Glengyle Steadings.

In the day that we walked the ridge that divided Glen Gyle from Loch Lomond I was thrilled to find we were looking right down Loch Long across Loch Lomond from the top of Beinn a Choin, this is pretty well SW,

would the skyline in the distance be Arran, because I can think of no other peaks high enough in that direction. If so, it would be 55 miles, not bad for the visibility of that day and a thrill for Mrs BWW and I as out previous holiday in Scotland had been on Arran and we would have trod some of the Arran skyline.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 17:41:15, 28/02/12 »
Talking of the Clwyds, the Jubilee Tower on Moel Famau does of course have one of those profiles of the horizon - usually easy to pick out the various Snowdonia peaks.  Last time I was up there some people were insisting they could see Pendle Hill and the southern tops of the Lake District. From the North Berwyn Way on the south side of the Dee Valley the Wrekin stands up clearly.

fat goat

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 11:25:26, 02/03/12 »
Went up onto Winter Hill a couple of weeks ago when the far Lakeland fells were just dusted with snow and my companion managed to make out Skiddaw - 75 miles away :o

I could swear at one time I have seen Cross Fell from the top of Winter Hill / Counting Hill...I haven't yet calculated how far it is but that's got to be close to 80 if not 90 miles.
You don't scare me, I did the Amble - deliberately
www.westpennineswanderer.co.uk

Gonzo

« Reply #28 on: 08:29:55, 06/03/12 »
This may not be the furthest view, only 26 miles, but it is from my lounge window this morning! Looks like a great day to be on top of Carnedd Llewellyn.

Ok, I was cheating slightly with the zoom, this is the full picture from the Glyders on the left to Drum on the right.

« Last Edit: 11:11:43, 06/03/12 by Gonzo »
Getting high on hills.

Old_duffer

« Reply #29 on: 09:08:49, 06/03/12 »
Also not the furthest but lovely views and great place to walk from Leith Hill, North Downs, Surrey, You can to the north see St Pauls Cathedral, 26 miles,
and The Wembley Arch, 26 miles. To the south The English Channel, 25 miles.
Some people feel the rain, others just get wet. Bob Dylan.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy