Author Topic: Malham Cove and Gordale Scar 3rd April 2011  (Read 11621 times)

wanderingchas

• Veteran Member
Malham Cove and Gordale Scar 3rd April 2011
« on: 20:22:52, 05/04/11 »
 Sunday saw “Her In Doors” and I take a trip to Malham. The weather forecast was “couldy becoming sunny” as it was, it was very wet with heavy showers for the first half of the walk. We did the walk in the reverse direction to most people (Malham Cove first and then round to Gordale Scar).

Map of the walk plus the ups and downs. 5.67 miles and 802ft up and down.

Malham Cove from the path next to Cove Road

There were a number of climbers on Malham Coves 260ft rock face

We climbed the path to the left of the cove and then made our way across the limestone pavement at the top

Watlowes and Ing Scar

The original plan was to follow the Pennine way past Ing Scar up to the water sinks, then follow the road round to Seaty Hill then take the track down to Gordale Scar. But “Her In Doors” Leg was aching so we turned right and followedthe track down to Malham Rakes instead. I did ask “Her In Doors” if she wanted to go back to Malham but she decided to carry on. So we walked up Malham Rakes until we met the track down to Gordale Scar

Great Close Hill and Highfold Scar from the track to Gordale Scar.

The track down into Gordale Scar. At the bottom we were met by higher of Gordale Scars two waterfalls

At this point I let “Her In Doors” know that we had two options. 1 over the edge and down the side of the lower waterfall or 2 back up to the top and round. I thought she would opt for the second choice. But oh no she decides we were going over the rocks and down. This from a woman who has never climbed anything except a pair of ladders. So over the edge we went.

Twenty five (ish) foot later we were at the bottom of the waterfall and then made our way out of Gordale Scar through the Camp site

We walked down the road for a short distance then crossed over and followed the path through Janets Foss back to Malham

Janets Foss. Foss is the Old Norse word for a waterfall or force and Janet (or Jennet) was believed to be the queen of the local fairies who lives behind the fall in a cave.

Once back in Malham we had some sandwiches and a drink at the Old Barn Café before returning home
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Fleegle

• Veteran Member
Re: Malham Cove and Gordale Scar 3rd April 2011
« Reply #1 on: 20:39:29, 05/04/11 »
Nice photos, looks like you had a good day.

That's one of a long list of places I want to get back to....

yorksgal

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:08:33, 05/04/11 »
It's a nice walk is that. I did it last year and also enjoyed it  O0

Nice pics and TR  O0 O0

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:19:41, 06/04/11 »
Lovely, this is definitely on my to do list O0

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:36:47, 06/04/11 »
Cracking little walk that... ive yet to go over gordale scar... ta for postin  O0 O0 O0
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:39:16, 06/04/11 »
Great shots O0 . As per AJ not been there but I surely will soon, thankyou O0 .
R.I.P. Dave.

Christopher

« Reply #6 on: 00:00:29, 07/04/11 »
Nice pics, i've enjoyed many a walks around Malham. If the weather keeps up i might be there at the weekend  ;)

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:04:15, 07/04/11 »
Very nice pics, brought back some memories, thanks.  O0
Ilona

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:51:58, 07/04/11 »
On the day, shouldn't you refer to your good lady as 'Her Outdoors', by definition?!

That looks like a super little entertaining route, thanks for posting.
solvitur ambulando

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:24:39, 08/04/11 »
Nice pics. I did this walk about 15 years ago, probably the last I was up in the Dales. Pictures reminded me how much I like the limestone scenery, thanks for sharing, I really must get up there again soon.
Enjoy every sandwich

mick

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:16:37, 08/04/11 »
Love this area me and my better half make a point of visiting this area a couple of time each year just for this walk alone. fantastic  !  
Will share a little secret with you all, it is one of my many ambitions to either climb up or climb down the waterfall at Gordale scar, so far I have never had the confidence to try :-\ , perhaps on my next visit.  
Thanks for sharing. O0  

dunc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 01:19:14, 09/04/11 »
nice pics from a cracking area. Looks like you had a good time  O0
"If this grand panorama before me is what you call God.... then God is not dead"

macst808

« Reply #12 on: 15:36:01, 11/05/11 »
I was up in Malham during the Easter Weekend. Must say it was fairly quite. Parked in Malham and walked the classic circular walk (opposite direction to yourself).
Started in Malham Village up the stream to Janet's Foss, into Gorsdale Scar. We went up it after a second attempt. You need to go up the central section and was quite easy. People had stopped climbing it when we got to the base and someone tried to get up the left hand side. I went straight up the middle and found it ok. Unfortunately i also had to come back down to help the others and then back up again. Up was ok but going down would not recommend. We then walked across to Malham Tarn and then returned to Malham Cove via the Dales Way path. This walk holds many impressive parts.
1. Janet's Foss. 2. Gorsdale Scar and its climb. 3. The return path to the Cove (Dales Way) 4. Malham Cove.
Highly Recommend this walk - about 8 miles.

Cheviot Stroller

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:06:47, 11/05/11 »
I was up in Malham during the Easter Weekend. Must say it was fairly quite. Parked in Malham and walked the classic circular walk (opposite direction to yourself).
Started in Malham Village up the stream to Janet's Foss, into Gorsdale Scar. We went up it after a second attempt. You need to go up the central section and was quite easy. People had stopped climbing it when we got to the base and someone tried to get up the left hand side. I went straight up the middle and found it ok. Unfortunately i also had to come back down to help the others and then back up again. Up was ok but going down would not recommend. We then walked across to Malham Tarn and then returned to Malham Cove via the Dales Way path. This walk holds many impressive parts.
1. Janet's Foss. 2. Gorsdale Scar and its climb. 3. The return path to the Cove (Dales Way) 4. Malham Cove.
Highly Recommend this walk - about 8 miles.

Love the sound of this one too.  Not sure how I'll cope with 'the climb' though  :o   Then again, you never know until you try!
Work to live, live to walk

http://ramblingnana.blogspot.co.uk/

pmerryman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:31:24, 11/05/11 »
Been to Malham a couple of times, and have always visited the cove, but have never been to Gordale Scar.  A definate on my return though.
Paul

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy