Author Topic: [TR] YORKSHIRE DALES, CAVES & WATERFALLS WALK - 10th JULY 2011  (Read 4580 times)

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
On Sunday 10th July I joined the group who had come to the Yorkshire Dales to attend the 2 walk meet organised by Kevin (One F in Foreigner). I didn’t attend the Ingleborough walk on Saturday (although a few seemed to think I was going to, hence texts and voicemails sent to my phone!) Thanks guys!

This was a bit of last minute thing as, although I’d put my name down for it, I had completely forgotten all about it until I got a PM from Chris (Norfolkboy) reminding me! So a quick browse on the net found me a B&B which turned out to be absolutely superb, and I was packed and on my way, entering the ‘less fuel’ option in my new Satnav which decided to take me through Manchester city centre! Go figure! It wasn’t long before I changed the settings, put it that way!

After meeting the others in The Lion in Settle for a meal and a couple of drinks on Saturday evening where much merriment, banter and gentle insults were dished out, we all arranged to meet in the morning outside the Naked man café. And so began our day’s walk led by Kevin and attended by 28 Forumites which has got to be somekind of record on here, surely?

So here are some of my photos of the walk:

We started from the lovely town of Settle, a town full of character.

And here we are all meeting outside The Naked Man café with not a naked man in sight! Sorry ladies.

The walk had barely started and here was Yeti starting to mess with Yorksgal’s bladder!

The scenic Yorkshire dales.

The group rambling along…some even whistling a tune!

The approach to Craven Lime Works. I was told I was going to be impressed when I went inside here and I most certainly was!

Entering the impressive lime kilns.

A bit of a “WOW” moment!

Impromptu group pic in the kilns.

Deeper inside the kilns. It was like entering a Doctor Who set! Infact I think I will just give Matt Smith a ring…

En route we came across an addition to the group named ‘spikey’. Some of the group were getting peckish and mentioned something about a hedgehog sandwich but we made sure ‘Spikey’ was put safely on his way.

The descent to Catrigg Force waterfall.

The stunning sight of Catrigg Force. Another “WOW” moment for me.

The group stopped for lunch at the top of Catrigg Force. This is where Rich (Humperlumper) emptied his bladder in public without realising it. I am, of course, referring to the ‘bladder’ in his rucksack! Some people’s minds eh?

The entrance to Jubilee cave. I think Yeti’s looking to see if any of his ancestors are in there!

Inside Jubilee cave.

The  imposing sight of Ingleborough in the distance.

The group heading towards Victoria cave which would turn out to be considerably bigger than Jubilee.

Victoria cave.

Swampy and Sprout on the ascent up to Warrendale Knotts. This is where the group split up into those who felt like hauling their assess up a hill and those that didn’t!

The trig point on Warrendale Knotts.

After the descent from Warrendale Knotts. Some members of the group decided to do their descent by sliding down the bank. Needless to say I wasn’t one of them!

Scaleber Force waterfall.

Looking down over Settle.

This was a cracking walk which came in at just over 10 miles (I think), not sure of total ascent, maybe someone can supply the full statistics. A varied walk incorporating kilns, dales, caves, waterfalls and hills. A great turn out on this walk and good to meet Forum members new and old. Thanks again to Kevin (One F Foreigner) for organising it. A truly excellent day out in the dales.

Hope you enjoyed my Trip Report.

Steve
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

'Brothers, what we do in life, echoes in eternity'

yeti

• Veteran Member
Cheers Steve O0 .
Great photos, showing a wonderfull end to the weekend. O0
R.I.P. Dave.

HumperLumper

• Veteran Member
Great report Steve  :)  i see you got my bladder moment  :-[  i've learn't so much from the weekend  ::)

Cheviot Stroller

• Veteran Member
Excellent - great photos and TR  O0
Work to live, live to walk

http://ramblingnana.blogspot.co.uk/

mad max

• Veteran Member
Great photo's and report.
Freeman of Tryfan.
Welsh Nuttalls completer.
I am a troll,beware.

norfolkboy

• Veteran Member
Great Pics and report Steve good to see you again and the rest of the group ,we had a ball ,so to speak.
And again a big thank you to Kevin, another cracking weekend mate.

Chris
Hers to a long life and a merry one
A quick death and a easy one
A pretty girl and a honest one
A cold beer and another one

wanderingchas

• Veteran Member
Great photos and TR. Wish we could have made it but had family up from the south coast. Next time.
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
That was bang on Steve, what great memories of a very memorable day! Id forgotten about the Hoffman kiln, how big is that place??????  :o Needless to say I came down the hill on me arris  ;D Some of those photos are very good, I love the one of Settle right at the start... keep em comin mate  O0

Ruth says the walk was summat like 10.7 miles and 1007 feet of ascent, tho we are about 4 inches taller than her so the ascent will be different  ;D
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
Lovely pictures Steve - I enjoyed this walk a couple of years ago, and loved the Hoffman kilns O0

I think 28 on a forum meet is a record....as far as I can recall...which isn't very far at all if I'm honest ;D

One F in Foreigner

• Veteran Member
Cracking photos and TR. Thanks to everybody for turning up and sharing in some of mi favourite places. Excellent weekend  O0
I prefer the folly of enthusiasm to the indifference of wisdom. (Anatole France)

yeti

• Veteran Member
Excellent weekend  O0
Agree Kev O0 . There was plenty of everything. Banter, local history, views, and excellent company O0 . I didn't check the route for the weekend (Swampy did and wanted to go too) because OneF never fails to organise a good walk...thats probably why it got record numbers too O0 .
R.I.P. Dave.

Sprout

• Veteran Member
 :) Thanks for the TR and pictures.  It's nearly always a good idea to haul your ass up to a good viewpoint IMO.  Another really good day out. O0

Lynne

swampy

• Veteran Member
Great stuff there Steve! Cheers O0  Had a fab weekend O0
In it for the socials

dunc

• Veteran Member
Great TR Steve, some great photos mate. Shame I missed you on the Saturday  O0
"If this grand panorama before me is what you call God.... then God is not dead"

Highfieldbri

Great report and photo's, looks like you all had a good day out...as usual  O0

Bri

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy