Author Topic: American Architect Seeking A Two-day Yorkshire Dales "Immersion"  (Read 3289 times)

WalkerArchitect

I am an architect and artist from America, traveling with my daughter August 21-24. 
We will have only three nights, with two days of walking: I want to make the most of it!  I want to see the land of my mother's birth.
We'd like to do our walk in the Yorkshire Dales, and pack in as much variety as possible in our short time - a full immersion in this region.  I think that my daughter could do a maximum of about 14 miles per day.  We would love to see cultivated areas [you do that a lot more nicely than we do here!], villages, perhaps wilder areas, and certainly some heights.  
If at all possible, it would be just excellent if we could stay at old places - we don't really have those here in America.  Farmhouses OK.  I am in pursuit of beauty.
Suggestions?  Show me what you know!
Thanks.

One F in Foreigner

• Veteran Member
Welcome to the Forum.  :)

You are going to be spoiled for choice. But my recommendation - and I'm biased cos I live there - is to immerse yourself in and around the limestone landscapes of Malham, Settle and the 3 Peaks of Yorkshire (Pen y Ghent, Whernside and Ingleborough). They will pretty much fit the bill for you.

Have a look here for more info http://yorkshiredales.org.uk/  whcih covers the whole of the National Park area and not just the area mentioned above.

If are interested in my suggestion, let me know and I'll sort out a couple or so ideas for walks.

Wherever you do decide to stay in the Dales - enjoy the visit.
I prefer the folly of enthusiasm to the indifference of wisdom. (Anatole France)

epocian

You could stay in Kettlewell - climb Great Whernside, then over to Buckden Pike, onto Cray then onto Yockenthwaite (or drop down at Scar House) to Hubberholme (checking the church - JB Priestley's ashes are buried here  and the George Inn for refreshment) following Dales Way to Buckden and back to Kettlewell (the village hall here was used in the film Calendar Girls)

botty

• Veteran Member
Hi there American Architect O0

I would agree with One F - we've stayed in Settle quite a bit over the last couple of years and it's a great base. Next to the main A65 so easier to get to than much of the Dales, and right on the edge of the national park. Great walks from Settle itself - Settle Loop around 10 miles or a little longer with some detours - some of my photos of that walk at Easter are here https://picasaweb.google.com/botty.1963/SettleLoop27thMarch2011#

The 3 Yorkshire Peaks are great to walk individually, not that high but at around 2,200ft enough to make a day of it and great views.

And I'm sure that One F would be a good guy to meet in Settle for some advice.

dellwalker

• Veteran Member
Welcome both new members to the forum.

American Architect
One F is acknowledged as the forum expert on the Yorkshire Dales. I have been on two walks that he planned and they were superb. So..........I agree with whatever he says. ;D ;D

Hope you and your daughter have a real good trip over here.  O0 O0

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
Another vote for Kev here (OneF)  - if there s a route he doesnt know in the Dales Id like to see it  O0 O0 O0 Welcome to our part of the world and have a great time! O0 O0
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
Hi WA

I'd also agree with the other posters - 3 Peaks area has an abundence of great scenery and walking options. Slightly further away from this area, there would be much of what you appear to be seeking in Swaledale (further north, perhaps staying in Reeth), Nidderdale (further east, perhaps staying in Pately Bridge) or, out west, Dentdale and the Howgills.

I guess, with limited time, making the best of the time might depend on which way you'll be coming to the area.

Anyway, there are loads of helpful and knowledgeable people on here to give advice, what/where ever you decide to do/go.  O0

WalkerArchitect

What a wonderful response from you all!  Thank you for this unexpectedly warm welcome, and your thoughtful suggestions. 
We'll be coming up from Oxford by train - not a terribly efficient way of getting up to the Dales, I've discovered.  And we'll have our suitcases to contend with, too.  So I am considering one of those luggage-transfer walks, where overnight accommodations are arranged.  Contours offers a "Three Dales" walk that seems to be in the area that a number of you recommended.  http://www.contours.co.uk/walking-holidays/fact-files/three-dales-way-IT3DW.php [nofollow]. They've offered to modify it to three nights and two walking days.  What would you say to this:  Arrive Burnsall, first night.  Walk to Kettlewell, second night.  Walk to Malham Tarn, third night.  And then....how in heck do we get back to London from there by public transportation??  That would be about eleven miles a day; I could probably squeeze another three or four miles out of my daughter, if there is a side trip or particular feature that you think is particularly worthwhile. 
Judging from many posters' responses, I should just give One F some of my American bucks [are they worth anything anymore?  We'll find out next Tuesday], and just put myself in his hands.  I'm ready!
Please let me know what you think of the walk that I described; perhaps there's a way to tweak it and still use Contours.  It's that darn baggage that gets in the way.
Many thanks to all of you.  I'm feeling that Yorkshire cheer that I remember from my mother and all her siblings.

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
Walk to Malham Tarn, third night.  And then....how in heck do we get back to London from there by public transportation?? 

If you could go a bit further and get to Settle, you can connect with the rail network. I also think there is a bus service Malham to Skipton, which again would link to the rail network, but I'm not sure how frequent the buses might be.

I'm sure others on here will.  O0

dellwalker

• Veteran Member
AA
You might be best staying in one place and dumping you cases and then doing different walks.

Anyway if One F gets back he will have good advice, I am sure. Settle is a good place to stay.

One F in Foreigner

• Veteran Member
 Despite the very kind words of others, there are a number of people on (and especially off) the Forum who have a greater knowledge of the Dales than I. However, I am always happy to proffer mi two-pennorth and encourage people to sample the delights of this little bit of paradise that is now 'home'.

Contours offers a "Three Dales" walk that seems to be in the area that a number of you recommended. http://www.contours.co.uk/walking-holidays/fact-files/three-dales-way-IT3DW.php. They've offered to modify it to three nights and two walking days. What would you say to this: Arrive Burnsall, first night. Walk to Kettlewell, second night. Walk to Malham Tarn, third night. And then....how in heck do we get back to London from there by public transportation?? That would be about eleven miles a day; I could probably squeeze another three or four miles out of my daughter, if there is a side trip or particular feature that you think is particularly worthwhile.

In fairness, that looks a good itinerary. The walk along the Dales Way from Burnsall to Linton Falls, along the River Wharfe, is a delightful introduction and the Grassington to Kettlewell section a pleasant walk across some slightly higher ground and passing by one of the areas well known limestone features - Coniston Pie.

Second day includes a favourite track of mine - the Monk's Way - but I usually do it the other way round. And the last part of the walk across the limestone pavement and then down by Malham Cove is a highlight on its own.

Getting back from Malham - there is a bus service from Malham to Skipton - http://www.dalesbus.org/ runs 4 times a day taking about 40 minutes. At Skipton there are frequent trains running into Leeds (about 35 minutes journey time) for the connection to the East Coast Main Line traind running to London Kings Cross.

Side trips - on the stretch from Grassongton to Kettlewell, just before the Coniston Pie a track leads down to the valley through a narrow limestone gorge known as Coniston Dib. Pleasant walk down and back.

One not to miss - from Malham the short walk to Janet's Fosse and then Gordale Scar. It is the start of the last day of the Contour walk, but Gordale Scar is woth a visit on its own. Could easily be done at the end of the second days walking before hitting the fleshpots of Malham for your last night of revelry.

I'll post up a couple of other suggestions tomorrow should you want to have an alternative to the Contour trip.
I prefer the folly of enthusiasm to the indifference of wisdom. (Anatole France)

WalkerArchitect

Renewed thanks for your new advice.  I feel that I'm closing in on my path now, with nice detour treats along the way.  I'm just waiting for Contours to tell me that they can do it!  If they can't, I suppose that I can try the "base of operations" approach, but I must say that one of the special joys of walking in your fair isle is this whole place-to-place business.  We don't really have that here in America.  Here, too, everyone is obsessed with ownership, as in "git off ma propity!"... so be thankful for your gracious system of passage over private lands.

swampy

• Veteran Member
May I make a suggestion. It might be worthwhile looking into your journey back to London and booking train tickets as soon as you can. Trying to buy tickets nearer or on the day might prove difficult and very expensive. Public transport over here isn't at it's best depending on where you are. 
As for One F's tips on where to walk, he's a top guy and knows his stuff!
Being a yorkshire lass myself I can assure you that you'll have a great time!! O0
In it for the socials

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
One F has it spot on. If it helps you, I have detailed walks to the areas suggested with photos of what you can expect on my website. See under My Walks - Yorkshire Dales, then:

Bordley to Malham Cove
 Gordale Scar and Malham Cove
 Ingleborough From Clapham
 Pen-Y-Ghent and Plover Hill
 Whernside

WalkerArchitect

Thank you, Happyhiker.  I'll have a look into your website and walk descriptions, while somehow trying not to glance at the photographs - like seeing a movie before reading the book, or something like that.  By the way, what's the best map to buy for this walk, and where's the best place to buy it online?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy