Author Topic: A group A 40 mile walk across the North Yorkshire moors (LWW)  (Read 6580 times)

nvl35

A bit long really

Friday 19th August saw a small group of us meeting at Osmotherley for an attack on the LWW in attendance were

Abs
Boothy plus a mate Richard
Kiowan
Sgt Pepper
Radder
and myself
With lots of careful preparation (several pints of the local ale followed by fish and chips) we prepared for our early start on the Saturday morning, okay I had a few pints but nowhere near the amount of some. Followed by a laugh a minute night at the YHA at Cote Ghyll and yet another beer we finally got our heads down at around midnight I think.  
At 3am we were rudely awaken by the alarm and all set about getting ourselves up and out for the days challenge luckily it was a dry clear morning as we made our way up through the woods on a path I'd just found the day before but never walked the way we were heading. The darkness was complete with the trees above our heads so I felt a little smug that I'd placed a lump of tree at the turn off we needed to take, that was soon smashed though when I realised someone had moved it and I had to refind the path with six people starting to get concerned behind me. This only held us up for a minute at the most and we were making our way again around Cod Beck reservoir towards the start stone.  
4.10am after the obligatory photo we were ready for the off and with it being down to me to lead the route I'd taken the precaution to load it onto my gps, after my discovery that this hadn't worked for reasons I don't know I think one or two were starting to lose faith in my abilities so it was down to memory of the walk and maps.  

The group set off up the hill to Scarth wood led by Radder who was determined to do "the most miles" he'd ever completed and was not having the fact there is not really a definitive route for the walk apart from getting from Osmotherley to Ravenscar over the high moors by foot.  

As we made our way along the Cleveland way up towards Carlton bank the sunrise was getting ready to greet us and lift our spirits with the view, which most appreciated and stopped to enjoy and take photos, unfortunately I didn’t so hope the others will add theirs. When we started our decent it  became apparent that one or two in the group were struggling with injury and fatigue from the previous days lack of sleep/alcohol combination.  
When we passed by Lord Stones café Radder was the most vocal about the fact we were going too fast and how boring the walk was (something he kept saying right till the end when he announced he’d like to do it again) I think the lack of sleep and shortage of cigarettes was really bugging him at this point. So with this ringing in our ears we headed up Cringle moor towards the seat and trig point it was now daylight and the view was for miles into the distance.  

I think the reality of what we were undertaking had set in now and everyone spent a minute or two here sat looking around and sorting themselves ready for the rest of the walk ahead. The decent from here is short and steep and really gives the knees a work out which really hit Alex (Kiowan) and Richard so we took a quick vote to see who wanted to go around Broughton plantation or over the top of the wainstones and decided the lower path was the best option, we all were determined to reach the end of this so “every little helps”. This is probably the muddiest part of the walk but the going is fairly easy and it gives you a chance to recuperate a little before the climb up to bloworth crossing. The group were all doing fairly well and the pace had been steady when we reached Hasty bank it was decided to take a stop for a short while. Time for a quick rest, bite to eat, smoke break and change of socks. We were slightly up on the time suggested in the guide book for this point and all of the group were looking fit and seemed to be faring well apart from Richard who was obviously struggling a bit with boots sore knees etc.  
When we set off from our short rest it was to start the steady climb up to Round hill and the highest point of the walk, the group started to naturally split a bit here as the faster walkers moved ahead on the accent. It was here we saw the first other walkers we had seen so far in the day just before we stopped at Bloworth crossing to regroup. The next section is the old railway line 4 ½ miles of open cindered track that I personally find very tough on the feet but it’s a good place to cover some miles quickly, something that Sgt Pepper and Radder managed admirably as they disappeared into the distance. Arriving at the Lion inn we were met by Joe (Joester) for a much appreciated support stop to be greeted with a cup of tea and the chance to dump some excess gear was just what we all needed. I think the Lion was just about as far as one or two could of gone without a toilet break so it came at just the right time for some who shall remain nameless……….  
Abi, Cliff and I had all so far been walking in trail shoes so made the change to boots ready for the boggy section which was up next, again thanks to Joe transporting our boots and stuff. We’d arrived at the Lion around 11 ish and somehow managed to sit for around an hour before setting off up towards Rosedale head and Fat Betty. We stopped for Bettys photo call where a short discussion ensued about the bag of food left on her, which ended with the decision not to eat the crunchie bar! Then it was off up the road and out into the boggy section which really didn’t live up to its name thankfully, the peat was thick and bouncy with only the occasional wet area. About half way in we met a group of women heading the opposite way also on the LWW the last other walkers I can recall seeing on the day. Arriving at the end of this section we were all glad to see Joe again who had very kindly given up his time to do this second checkpoint.  
After more tea fruit sock changing etc. we set off across the heather towards Blue man in th moss

and the long slog across the moorland towards Fylingdales, a sole destroying site as it never seems to get any nearer.  Along this part of the walk we had to cross the river at Wheeldale lodge, my favourite spot on the entire walk but not every ones with the steep climb up on the opposite side up to Simon Howe and the standing stones. From here it’s a steady descent along to the steam railway just before the A171.  

Sgt Pepper and myself were pushed along on this bit knowing our families were waiting to meet us at the road crossing as our third and final support for the day. We arrived at the rail crossing just in time to see the train come by and be waved at by happy looking people on board. This was to be our last support stop with approx. 7 miles to go so it was time to drop off all excess gear and take on as much water as we could for the final push. Abi arrived looking very tired and muttering lots of unrepeatable words suffering a real low point and suffering a bit with low blood sugar but she soon perked up after a mars bar and bottle of lucozade sport. Radder seemed to cheer up a bit especially when presented with the cigarettes picked up for him by the support crew. Cliff looked fine if a little tired and stumbling a bit on the rocks, Alex just sat quietly and finally accepted some ibuprofen for his aching knees, Andy also looked fine and seemed to be doing well however Richard was by now looking like he was dying and definitely not having fun anymore.  He was struggling not only with aching knees and feet but had also started to dehydrate a bit but still wanted to push on to the finish.  
With the stop behind us it was time to push for the finish which was now becoming visible in the distance some 7 miles away. By now I think a lot of the group were just walking on pure determination and stubbornness, myself and Richard had a good discussion about old war films which seemed to pass the time very quickly. We arrived at the next road crossing very quickly it seemed to be treated to seeing Radder run up the fifteen or so steps from the road proclaiming I feel really good. The climb from here to Beacon Howes is along a very rough track with rocks which make it hard to not stumble about a bit.  

We were treated to the sight of 2 deer walking along in the heather in front of us just before being greeted by Joester and Mrs NVL walking down the track to greet us. Slowly we all made our way to the stone to mark the finish as a group and touched the stone at 16 hours after leaving the start one with photos being taken by Joe who then pulled a box of beer from the heather for us all to toast our success.  

It was then down to Staitondale for a night in the village hall with a good meal of spaghetti bolognaise cooked by clan Sawyer for the 16 of us, washed down with a cold beer to celebrate. That is all of us except Richard who by now had reached the end of his determination and retired to his “bed” feeling ill.  

For me this was my fourth LWW crossing but the first for the rest of the group so I would like to say a massive well done to all walkers it was a great day spent with some good people.  
Also big thanks to Joester and the two Emmas without your support it wouldn’t have been possible.  
Don't wait for your ship to come in
Swim out and meet the bloody thing !

Barry Sheene

joester

• Veteran Member
Some of Abs' photos:

Approaching the finish stone.  This is the proper way to end a challenge walk:

Wiped-out Richard:

solvitur ambulando

Abs

Thanks for organising it!!

I did enjoy it in a kind of sadistic way! I set out not knowing if i'd finish it, but I am really glad we all did, and that we all stuck together as a group when it mattered the most.

Will I do it again? I can't answer that as i'd be banned from the walking forum!!  O0
Are we there yet?!

nvl35

Sorry it's took so long to put this up.
Was hoping someone else would put up some good photos mine are a bit pap really, please can you email the third one I'd like a copy of it.

Abi I had every confidence you'd finish the walk let alone manage to run over a mile of it as well and I'm sure Cliff will be along soon with his photo to remind you of your day  ;D

Barry Sheene

Highfieldbri

Been looking forward to a report since Cliff mentioned you'd done this, not disappointed, great report  O0

Congratulations and well done to you all on completing the walk. Enjoyed the photo's too. No mention of Jugger Howe, the very  testing descent and ascent a couple of miles or so from the end. How did that feel  ;D It's much easier going the other way.  O0

Well done again  O0

Bri

By the way. you lucky bu****s, all the times i've done this, never seen the train  ;D

guess who

• Veteran Member
What a fantastic effort. A big well done to one and all.

gary m

• Veteran Member
that was a good report, dont think i would have walked after drinking much, well done
you have 1 life live it

lovinit

• Veteran Member
Well done - this is amazing! Heard about this from Cliff and Emma yesterday, 42 miles is a HUGE walk so massive congratulations to all of you to completed this  O0 O0
No one can go back in time & make a brand new beginning, but anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.

angry climber

• Account Closed
 O0  Brilliant effort everyone well done  O0
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

C2C10

• Veteran Member
Good read up. I've done the Lyke Wake Walk now seven times and truly a classic walk. I first did it in 1970, 1971, but 1972 was called off, due to bad weather. Did it in 1985, 1986, 1987 and 1995 a double solo crossing unsupported ( well it was a west to east and east to west on 2 week-end separate crossing together. boy, that was the case of having blister's on top of blister's. in a heatwave in July. I do have a nut loose :crazy2:  and although at 55 years now, I was thinking of doing a winter crossing in January. I have to earn the prize for something regarding the Lyke Wake Club. I need to check that out, is purple doleness of some past master, I don't know. Solo unsupported winter crossing between Dec and March. :o

yorksgal

• Veteran Member
Excellent stuff, well done to you all  O0 O0 O0

Nice pics Abs  O0 O0

sgt_pepper46

• Veteran Member
I do have a nut loose :crazy2:  and although at 55 years now, I was thinking of doing a winter crossing in January. I have to earn the prize for something regarding the Lyke Wake Club. I need to check that out, is purple doleness of some past master, I don't know. Solo unsupported winter crossing between Dec and March. :o

Watch this space, that particular Jolly is on the cards for Jan 2012, accordingl to the New Lyke Wake, it should be completed in December or January. from your info on previous crossings, you would almost be eligible for "Doctor of Dolefulness", but it requires a crossing in which you "Lead" a group across.... I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

Nigel, i must apologise for not getting chance to write this up as i'd said i would, but i've been a bit wrapped up with stuff at home (as you'll appreciate).  :-[

Top Trip Report BTW, it just about sums the day up in my eyes.  O0

Some photos from my experience of the challenge to follow....
40/214
8/283
13/190
26/253

Ciao Marco

nvl35

Thanks all I'm sure all the group appreciate your comments

Congratulations and well done to you all on completing the walk. Enjoyed the photo's too. No mention of Jugger Howe, the very  testing descent and ascent a couple of miles or so from the end. How did that feel  ;D It's much easier going the other way.  O0
Jugger Howe really brought out some of the best use of the profanities of the English language on the entire walk Bri.

Watch this space, that particular Jolly is on the cards for Jan 2012, accordingl to the New Lyke Wake, it should be completed in December or January. from your info on previous crossings, you would almost be eligible for "Doctor of Dolefulness", but it requires a crossing in which you "Lead" a group across.... I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong
I was thinking December for a winter crossing mainly because the weather has been bad the last two years in January/February

I've done the Lyke Wake Walk now seven times and truly a classic walk. I first did it in 1970, 1971, but 1972 was called off, due to bad weather. Did it in 1985, 1986, 1987 and 1995 a double solo crossing unsupported
Wow a double crossing unsupported That is hardcore!!  I've done it both ways unsupported but with 6 months between them. My plan is to do another crossing this year, again unsupported and really go for it time wise to see what I can do over that distance and then get the winter crossing done as well.

Barry Sheene

sgt_pepper46

• Veteran Member
The evening before, we thought it only right to have a fish-n-chip supper, with just a bottle of coca-cola to wash it down... ahem!  ::)

The route before us didn't look so bad on here..

Then it was early to bed with a nice hot cup of cocoa, so we were fresh for the early rise..

I managed to second slightly odd looking insomniac lady to get a snap of the group before we set off

Nigel can't quite figure out why his GPS has decided to loose the route file he "definitely" saved to it..

So it was in high spirits that we gathered for a group photo before embarking on our endeavour... But not beofre Marks head spontaneously combusted when he realised he only had enough cigs to reach the half-way point..

Walking in the pitch through the woods was particularly enjoyable, not least due to the random noises which kept drifting our way, bringing forth many suggestions for their origin, each more ridiculous than the last as i recall!

Eventually though, dawn did greet us with a bright fervour of colour..

Taking 5 in dawns early light at Carlton Bank Trig

Radder, Abs and Kiowan weathering the endless seas of "blooming" Heather

We all decided it was good form to have a mid-morning break in order to re-fuel at the B1257, i tried to flag a taxi down, but to no avail.

Round Hill Trig (i think)

The photography became rather more sparce from here on in, as we all became more aware that it's a bloody long way to the finish...

Fat Betty, a seemingly pointless piece of stone where people leave offerings for a reason noone really knew... Mark an Nigel both had their eyes on the crunchie bar that someone had left though...

more to follow...

40/214
8/283
13/190
26/253

Ciao Marco

carolina2k9

• Veteran Member
excellant reprot nigel, well done all. O0
Happiness is only a Hill away :-)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy