Author Topic: [TR]Goathland Waterfalls Walk  (Read 6522 times)

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
[TR]Goathland Waterfalls Walk
« on: 21:17:16, 11/10/11 »
The walk is from the Walking Englishman  http://www.walkingenglishman.com/northyorkshire14.htm.  On website he describes it as a "jewel" of a walk.  And it really was.  It took us 5 hours to walk 6 miles.  Not because it was difficult, but because we spent so long exploring and seeing. Waterfalls, herons, becks and steam trains. Fantastic. 
The one piece of information which may be important to pass on is that Mike B's 'scary path' is now positively dangerous,and we couldn't find a safe route under/over the railway line near Thomason Foss.  Apart from that, what a wonderful, wonderful afternoon.  As always the whole story can be found on my blog, but herewith the shortened version.

We walked along West Beck first

Until we got to Mallyan Spout

From there to Beck Hole, and then between Eller Beck and the railway line.  Steam Engine.  Fantastic!

Looking across to Goathland moor

Before we got to Goathland where we watched steam engines huff and chuff into the station. 
Whistling and hissing.  Then through Goathland itself.  Lurrrrvvvly. This was an unusual sight though.......

Peter took loads of video of becks and waterfalls and trains.  When he's edited and made it into a little film, I'll post the link.  (He's a frustrated Steven Spielberg, and does put good little films together).
I can honestly recommend visiting this area to anyone.  We had a fantastic time.

Fleegle

• Veteran Member
Re: [TR]Goathland Waterfalls Walk
« Reply #1 on: 21:39:43, 11/10/11 »
Lovely pics.

I have to confess, the North York Moors is not a place I get to. I've no excuses really, I've family not too far away near the town of Yarm.

However, I've been to Goathland twice, once back in 1996, the second time, last October, but with Mrs Fleegle. She wanted to see the village of Aidensfield.....

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:45:57, 11/10/11 »
Nice pics O0
I have to confess, the North York Moors is not a place I get to. I've no excuses really, I've family not too far away near the town of Yarm.
Some real nice places, hidden jems, quaint villages O0 . I like it even though Dalby Forest has been spoilt by outdoors adventure centres.
R.I.P. Dave.

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:16:27, 11/10/11 »
I went to Goathland (the village) a couple of years ago and have often thought I'd to do walk around there so this looks a really good one to do.

Thanks for sharing  O0

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: 23:20:46, 11/10/11 »
Very nice, I love waterfalls, I really love the sound.   
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

yorksgal

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:25:08, 11/10/11 »
I've been to Goathland but never walked in the area, however this I will do on my next visit up that way  O0

Thanks for sharing  O0

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 00:04:07, 12/10/11 »
I've been to Goathland but never walked in the area, however this I will do on my next visit up that way  O0
How Yorksgal? Is only up raad ;D .
R.I.P. Dave.

yorksgal

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 00:07:05, 12/10/11 »
How Yorksgal? Is only up raad ;D .

It is quite a nice and pleasant drive from York you know   ;D

One doesn't frequent the area as much as one would like  :)

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 00:12:35, 12/10/11 »
It is quite a nice and pleasant drive from York you know   ;D

One doesn't frequent the area as much as one would like  :)
Done dusted we'll do a meet next year O0 . Loads of really nice places; Thornton-Le-Dale, Scaling, Hawnby, Helmsley, Rievaulx, Broxa, Rosedale....the list is endless O0 O0 O0 .
R.I.P. Dave.

yorksgal

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 00:21:43, 12/10/11 »
Done dusted we'll do a meet next year O0 . Loads of really nice places; Thornton-Le-Dale, Scaling, Hawnby, Helmsley, Rievaulx, Broxa, Rosedale....the list is endless O0 O0 O0 .

Eccellent, Thornton le Dale is a lovely picturesque quaint village. All round there is really nice though  O0

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 00:39:47, 12/10/11 »
Eccellent, Thornton le Dale is a lovely picturesque quaint village. All round there is really nice though  O0
I know. It gets little attention on this forum other than Lyke Wyke & Wolds Way. Its on our doorstep Ruth, its our duty to educate  O0 .
R.I.P. Dave.

Fleegle

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 04:44:23, 12/10/11 »
Nice pics O0 Some real nice places, hidden jems, quaint villages O0 . I like it even though Dalby Forest has been spoilt by outdoors adventure centres.

I know there are some lovely places there. Something I really should resolve to get there more than I have done.      ;)

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:17:30, 12/10/11 »
I love the NYM, used to live in Scarborough. I highly reccommend a visit there. It is not just the moors, there are some lovely dales between the high ground, the there is the coast and lovely towns like Helmsley and Pickering. Note to self - must get up there again soon

Malyan Spout has very little water coming down it compared to the times I have seen it.

Cheviot Stroller

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:50:17, 12/10/11 »
Excellent Tracey - thanks for sharing  O0

I've looked at doing a few routes in the NYM areas before (mainly from the same website) but I haven't actually managed to do any yet....I wish I had now  ::) :)
Work to live, live to walk

http://ramblingnana.blogspot.co.uk/

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:40:17, 12/10/11 »

Goody!  Don't forget will you?   ;)   cos you can count me in  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy