Author Topic: The thief is a sheep!  (Read 3616 times)

Walking Englishman

The thief is a sheep!
« on: 13:57:40, 01/09/08 »
On a recent walk I only left my tuck bag unattended for a minute. Long enough for this opportunist though.

Have any of you in the group had any similar incidents with animals while out walking?
I'm a walker on the edge of my perception. We're all travellers at the edge of our perceptions.

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
Re: The thief is a sheep!
« Reply #1 on: 14:13:46, 01/09/08 »
Yes me! I got charged at by a bloomin massive sheep with horns whilst walking at The Roaches.Scared my son and I to death....we didn't half get back down quick!I always take poles with me now just in case!

Skinny Walker

« Reply #2 on: 08:39:59, 02/09/08 »
I got savaged (ok nipped ;D) by a dartmoor pony while eating a sarnie (ok I may have been teasing it a bit :-[)

Watch out though, I hears them ponys eats people in those parts
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

karen_the_artist

« Reply #3 on: 11:20:47, 02/09/08 »
I love that photo  ;D
Karen - lurking somewhere in Perthshire, Scotland

pete

« Reply #4 on: 20:10:03, 02/09/08 »
Aye Mike,I bet it was a Yorkshire sheep,we train them well up here it keeps them off benefit :) :)
It must be tea time by now

Walking Englishman

« Reply #5 on: 15:55:48, 03/09/08 »
Yep, they are smart sheep in Yorkshire. Literary fans too, this chap is a resident up Top Withens.
I'm a walker on the edge of my perception. We're all travellers at the edge of our perceptions.

Skinny Walker

« Reply #6 on: 16:41:07, 03/09/08 »
The same thing happened when I was passing on the Pennine Way about 15 years ago!! The ewe must pass their skills on to the lambs.....
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

Walking Englishman

« Reply #7 on: 19:54:13, 03/09/08 »
A case of keeping it in the family no doubt - like mother like daughter.

Skinny Walker

« Reply #8 on: 08:33:00, 04/09/08 »
The same the world over I am sure,

My mother in law can talk for england.....if you get my drift!!  ;) ;)

Walking Englishman

« Reply #9 on: 09:15:21, 13/09/08 »
My MIL is deaf as a post and is ok moderate talker - but her daughter can talk for two!!, and like the sheep she is not averse to purloining my tuck on occasions!

stevieboy378

« Reply #10 on: 11:03:14, 14/09/08 »
Mate of mine was bivvying up by Sprinkling tarn in the Lakes.
He was nicely tucked up in his bivvy bag when he heard what he later described as "evil noises" outside in the dark. Being a big brave boy he did the courageous thing - he cowered in his bag, and waited for whatever it was to go away.
In the morning he unzipped his bag to find the contents of his rucksack strewn across the fells - the local Herdwicks must have smelled the bread he'd got in there for making toast for breakfast, and had rummaged their way into it, scattering stuff all over the place in the process . . . .  :D
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ! . . .
. . . .except the weasels." - Homer Simpson

Steve Wilcox

Walking Englishman

« Reply #11 on: 12:16:11, 14/09/08 »
So sheep are known rustlers now, no hiding place for them from now on. Any incidents of thefts by birds?

stevieboy378

« Reply #12 on: 12:28:17, 14/09/08 »
Pillar in the Lake District is well known for its over friendly sheep - 2 of them virtually mugged my wife as she sat eating a freusli bar - I've got a photo of the incident somewhere, I'll have to dig it out . . .
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ! . . .

Steve Wilcox

Walking Englishman

« Reply #13 on: 16:17:51, 15/09/08 »
I wonder how they would tackle Shepherd's Pie!!

stevieboy378

« Reply #14 on: 17:45:20, 16/09/08 »
I wonder how they would tackle Shepherd's Pie!!

One would keep it talking, and the other would sneak round behind it and rifle through its pockets . . .   :D

Here's the photo of one of the Freusli muggers in action on Pillar :

Steve Wilcox

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy