Author Topic: TR: Beasties and Dinosaurs in the Hills Around Settle  (Read 3241 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Yet another superb walk, this time in the Yorkshire Dales with Peter.

After setting off later than I’d hoped (lazy-itus) and getting caught up in the joys of rush hour traffic in Hull I re-routed Sally SatNav to go “up then across” rather than “across then up” the country.  A much nicer drive which (had I gone this way straight from home) only added another 15 minutes onto the drive and uses less petrol – bonus.  It’s the route I shall take from now on  :)  

After meeting up with Peter it was on with the boots and straight off up the hillside for a…. ahem… “sustained climb”.  From being sat driving for nigh on 3 hours to this, my already tired from yesterday legs doth protest just a tad  :-[  

The path up from Settle:

And there’s still a bit to go:

Once we got to the top I found a convenient limestone seat to sit on and have a cuppa and a sausage roll, a cig.. and another cuppa.  Then I started to feel human  :)  

As we wandered along there seemed to be a lot of moo-ing going on round the hills.  Personally, I think the cows were warning each other of “some more pesky walkers coming your way”  :D   This odd looking beast seemed to be spearheading the campaign from the top of the hill  ??? :

It wasn’t long before we spotted our first cave.  A nice tidy little cave and surprisingly clean and dry:

I liked the wall art  :) :

We continued around underneath Warrendale Knotts and moo-ing got louder and more echo-ey.  As I looked up …. Wow  :-* :

And wow  :smitten: :

A ridge walk along the top of there would not have been as impressive.  I kept wanting to stand and stare at it.  Stunning geology.

Our route took us through pastures with cows/calves in, though one particular pasture had a bull in there too.  First time I’ve walked through a field with a bull and wasn’t quite sure if I was scared or not.  Respectfully apprehensive I think best describes it.  Anyway, he seemed to be chatting up a cow on the other side of a wall and Peter asked if I was okay with cows/bulls…. Brave face and all that I said yes.  Plus, there were folks coming in the other direction, not only wearing red but they had a dog too.  Anyway, the bull did mosey on over to have a look at us and Peter encouraged him to stay the other side of the sink hole I skirted round (cheers Peter  O0 ) and we headed off up the hill.  I had to stand and have a study of bull/cow behaviour from a safe distance before we left the pasture though.  Interesting learning curve for me.

So we curved around under Attermire Scar which seemed to just blend into the countryside in comparison to the knobbly, bobbly amphitheatre of Warrendale Knotts.  Somewhere along this route, Peter asked me if I wanted to see a cave.  As we got to the “turn off” for Victoria Cave I hesitated somewhat.  HOW HIGH up the hillside  :o   Anyway, up we went:

I really wish I’d had a better torch than the pathetic “freebie” I had with me but the wonderful coolness inside the cave was a welcome relief to the clammy, humid day outside.  Just standing and listening to the eerie drip dripping of baby stalactites and stalagmites being created and wondering ....what was in that dark hole over there  :o   and, if only I had a better torch  ::)   Peter decided now was the time to tell me stories of cave dwelling monsters and beasties that lurk in the darkness but all we found was a prehistoric Thinsulate glove amongst the rocks  ;D  

I had a little nosey in the cave next door too but it was, again, dark and slippery and, without a torch, I think I can just see two eyes at the back…..:

So we carried on and, again, Peter asked me if I wanted to see Jubilee Cave – yeah, why not.  Easier to access for starters.  Again, the wonderful coolness inside was a welcome relief although Peter sat outside and waited for me to finish exploring:

I WISH I HAD A TORCH.  Anyway, I think I startled the beastie with my camera flash in this one  :o :

We sat and had break here before carrying on to (unknown to me) Catrigg Force.

Looking back towards the lumpy, bumpy Warrendale Knotts.  Don’t you think the profile looks like a woman lying down?:

A hazy Ingleborough in the distance:

Me and my OCD with signposts pic – we headed off towards Stainforth by the way:

I like this tree pic  :) :

A cute and furry looking Pen-y-Ghent:

So, with the view of all 3 of the “three peaks” in sight, I pondered on whether the Y3P-ers were enjoying their walk as much as I was.  I wonder if they saw the aeroplane flying low / over / through the valleys?  Sadly, I didn’t manage to get a pic of that (well, I got a pic of a black dot - there in the middle) – I hope Peter did.  Nice pic of the limestone pavement though:

Somewhere around here we went a little off-piste (intentionally – so I’m told) to get to Catrigg Force.  The gate says Force, the post says Foss:

And we ambled our way down to have a look.  At first all you see is this:

A bit of a let-down perhaps considering it’s marked on the map?  Ohhhh no.  Just under the trees it drops steeply about a hundred or so feet into a pool.  The pics don’t do it justice:

After having a bit of a clamber around to try and get a decent pic we headed to the other gate and into the woods:

Oooooh, lovely.  Cool, earthy, damp, leafy smells with the roar of the waterfall in the background.  It was really primordial and I could quite well imagine a diplodocus grazing in there somewhere.

A pic from half way down the falls.  It drops even lower to the left of the first pic:

I would love to see the falls in full spate.

Back onto the path again to cross the stepping stones of Stainforth Beck (I think).  Peter heading  for the bench:

And I’m eying up a likely place for a paddle.  That stepping stone over there will do:

Ahhhhh, mmmmmmm, brrrrrrrrr  :) :

Views up and down the beck.  Again, I bet this looks a lot different in Springtime:

We did a bit of road walking at this point until we ended up at the Craven Lime Works.  It was a bit spooky walking through the “tunnel” though.  A few pics:

Back onto the road and over to follow the Ribble River to the weir (we headed the other way to the view in this pic):

Oh, oh, oh…. We passed the most peculiar looking grunty, snuffling pig-sheeps  :o  :D   Again, I hope Peter has a pic of these.

Back onto the road for the walk back into Settle.  A final pic of the killer-hill at the start of the walk – which we still had to walk part way up to get to my car:

And back to the car.  Boots off. Flop Flips on.  Ahhh, bliss.  It really didn’t help me feel any fitter seeing the two ladies JOGGING up the hill and holding a conversation.

We got chatting to “Bette Davis Eyes” who ended up reminiscing about her childhood growing up in Langcliffe (just down the road) and wishing she was still able to do the walk we’d just done.  All I wanted was to find a cup of tea and all Peter wanted to do was to find some painkillers.

So we parted company – Peter with not very far at all to go home and me with a couple of miles (give or take a zero or two) further.

Cheers Peter for organising a brilliant and varied day’s walking  O0  and, if I’ve mapped the route correctly, it was a dot shy of 8 miles.

Thanks for reading  :)  

treehugger

• Account Closed
Re: TR: Beasties and Dinosaurs in the Hills Around Settle
« Reply #1 on: 21:59:04, 07/09/13 »
Well I've done most of that in stages but missed the caves (despite looking) and didn't know about that cavern.............. :tickedoff: :tickedoff:  suppose that's the advantage of you having a guide!

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:29:38, 08/09/13 »
I didn't take many photos, I have taken so many of this area.
It was a late start, but that helped since the weather earlier had been dire. Foggy and murky.
Visibility had improved a lot, and it was warm enough (too hot at times) for shirt sleeves.
Any reasonable host would have given the girl a chance and a cup (mug) of tea.. but I don't drink it..
The ascent is very steep for just short of a mile. I think its harder than the approach to Penyghent. Though more to see and much quieter.
There was something very odd about the beastie up on the skyline..
Nothing odd about the lad down in the entrance to the gorge. Though he chose to ignore the people coming the other way, he made a beeline for our route.
I selflessly and heroically flung myself into his path...... ok, ok, I meandered a bit to discourage him, but he was a short breed and I thought I could take him..  :o

Mel making her way up the slight gradient to Victoria Cave.

and down again..

Nothing in particular, I'm fascinated by limestone is all..

If you squint you may see Mel in Jubilee cave..

This is where Mel started talking dirty, describing what she could see... without realising that I had caused her to look at it in the first place!  :-[  Sorry Mel!

Again just a tree against the sky with limestone, probably better in black and white?

Final steps... though there was about 3 more miles to go..

And on to these strange creatures... they wobble, snort, struggle to walk, and look like a sheep. Any ideas? They are almost certainly sheep, but I see a lot of sheep and nothing like this?

The walk was 8 miles, was to be longer but as the day wore on and my pain increased I had started to cross parts off.
Bette Davis eyes is a sweet demure lady who really does seem to play the part of Davis in Sunset Boulevard.
Thoroughly enjoyed the day,   :)  Cheers!

Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

treehugger

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: 16:30:10, 08/09/13 »
What on Earth is this Bette Davis business? :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

carolina2k9

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:24:43, 08/09/13 »
Nice report n pics :-)
Happiness is only a Hill away :-)

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:26:12, 08/09/13 »
What on Earth is this Bette Davis business? :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
A lovely little lady that lives in the same place as myself. She has 'Bette Davis Eyes',
Peter

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:12:58, 08/09/13 »
Those weird grunty, snuffly, pig-sheeps appear to be a breed called Beltex:

(I can't believe I've just spent time googling that  :-[ ;D )

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 06:56:24, 09/09/13 »
Another great TR from the Melster :) O0

Looks like you had a great day :)
The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

Country Walking 1000 Mile Challenge 2017  623.5  miles :)

Jackie1981

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:00:02, 09/09/13 »
Great trip report and lovely photos!

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:01:36, 09/09/13 »
Those weird grunty, snuffly, pig-sheeps appear to be a breed called Beltex:

(I can't believe I've just spent time googling that  :-[ ;D )

I'm baffled by HOW you googled it? Search for: pig sheep snuffling grunting weird
Must have been some unusual results?  :o
Peter

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:01:28, 09/09/13 »
Lol. Nothing as exciting as that.  I just searched for "breeds of sheep" then looked at any pictures 'til I found 'em  O0

(you do realise I'm now going to have to search "weird snuffling grunty pig sheep" don't you  ;D )

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:58:29, 10/09/13 »
Excellent photos from you both.  Glad you had a great walk  O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:09:08, 10/09/13 »
Lovely pic and report to you both  O0   Love the waterfall shot  O0
Hate will never win

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:58:02, 10/09/13 »
That looks like a grand walk, plenty of variety and I've learnt something new about sheep too! O0
Enjoy every sandwich

Dalesman

« Reply #14 on: 11:42:46, 11/09/13 »
That looks like a grand walk, plenty of variety and I've learnt something new about sheep too! O0

Totally off topic, Annejacko, did you recently buy a sleeping bag off ebay? Your user ID rung a bell that's all.

On topic. Love the Dales and always enjoy looking at the superb landscape. Great report.
Completed the 214 on 23/04/15

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy