Author Topic: How to avoid Y3P Challenge dates?  (Read 2847 times)

staggerindragon

How to avoid Y3P Challenge dates?
« on: 03:53:13, 21/04/16 »
Hi,

I'd like to be in the Ribblehead area over a quieter weekend or few weekdays.  Is a list of organized events published anywhere?  The parks office hasn't been helpful.  I found the Three Peaks Challenge website, but it looks like other organizations plan and run them.

Thanks!

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: How to avoid Y3P Challenge dates?
« Reply #1 on: 10:02:03, 21/04/16 »
Are there quiet weekends in the Ribblehead area?  On the other hand, if you can avoid the 3 peaks route itself it might not be too bad.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:49:40, 21/04/16 »
Are there quiet weekends in the Ribblehead area?  On the other hand, if you can avoid the 3 peaks route itself it might not be too bad.

A midweek walk is best but at weekends the best strategy to avoid the herd would be an early start from the Ribblehead layby, say around 0800. This would put you out of synch with the hordes if you are using the same trails. Low season is even better but you are short of daylight then. There are still some quieter routes around if you avoid the honeypots or use less conventional approaches to them.
Solvitur Ambulando

fat goat

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:45:22, 21/04/16 »
Yeah it would be helpful if there were a published list, honestly that Park Ranger aint doing his job! I know that the British Heart Foundation is doing a walk on the thirtieth - but that was only gleaned from goggling around. A Google search string of Y3p sponsored challenge walk  might yield some good results, but then it could all be rather retrospective and focus on previous years.
You don't scare me, I did the Amble - deliberately
www.westpennineswanderer.co.uk

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:57:52, 21/04/16 »
Generally the challenges are done on the Saturday, I presume to allow for the recovery before returning to work on Monday; I usually do it on the Sunday and it's MUCH quieter, pretty much like a normal day..

harry_keogh

« Reply #5 on: 16:59:55, 09/05/16 »
I did it last year and it was busy as hell. All you could hear were the click clicking of walking poles for the whole duration. It's especially bad on the Penyghent bit, although it does thin out a bit by the time you get to Ingleborough as quite a few have dropped out before then.

I was considering doing it again this year at night. That should be quieter, and a bit more challenging too.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:05:58, 09/05/16 »
Hi,

I'd like to be in the Ribblehead area over a quieter weekend or few weekdays.  Is a list of organized events published anywhere?  The parks office hasn't been helpful.  I found the Three Peaks Challenge website, but it looks like other organizations plan and run them.

Thanks!

I passed through there on Sunday on my way to the moors above Malham.  It was heaving with people and there were cars parked everywhere.  The roads were lethal too - motorbikes every few seconds so it wasn't quiet either!  Definitely an area to avoid at the weekends if possible.
Solvitur Ambulando

One F

« Reply #7 on: 21:54:10, 09/05/16 »
Weekdays are good. Starting from Ribblehead is good. Today was very good. Started out at Ribblehead at 0700 and din't see a soul for the first 7 miles. A few more folks about from Ingleborough to Horton to Pen y Ghent, but then a further 7 miles on mi tod  :)

staggerindragon

« Reply #8 on: 02:40:02, 10/05/16 »
I couldn't agree more about that B6255, Ninthace.  I once walked the stretch from Gearstones to the Station Inn and never want to do it again.  I spent the whole time trying not to think what would happen if I spooked a sheep out onto the road in front of a motorcyclist.  I wonder how many accidents happen along there.

I hadn't really thought about doing the peaks all in one go.  I think I'll spend a few days in the area and take my time. :)  Right now the plan is for a September mid week visit.  My only other tricky bit of accommodation scheduling is at the Cross Keys at Cautley as I wander my way down from Kirkby Stephen.  I'll try booking backwards from the Horton in Ribblesdale/Station Inn areas.

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy