Author Topic: yorks moors best areas  (Read 5427 times)

colliecorner

• Veteran Member
yorks moors best areas
« on: 21:49:53, 27/07/09 »
researching my hols for next year and hoping to visit the moors,never been before..

now i'm thinking of the pickering area are there any good walks in that area ??
i'm a novice walker but fairly fit

so if anyone can recommend a area /walks /camp sites if possible  O0

garyr

• Veteran Member
Re: yorks moors best areas
« Reply #1 on: 08:14:34, 28/07/09 »
Pickering is a good area, we've used this cmapsite before ..... http://www.forestholidays.co.uk/camping_and_caravanning/our_sites__locations/england/spiers_house.aspx
There's loads of good walking around the Dalby Froest, then there's the Hole of Horcum and the White Horse walk at Sutton Bank.

Gary ....
http://www.mywainwrights.co.uk

walking-books

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:49:38, 28/07/09 »
researching my hols for next year and hoping to visit the moors,never been before..

now i'm thinking of the pickering area are there any good walks in that area ??
i'm a novice walker but fairly fit

so if anyone can recommend a area /walks /camp sites if possible  O0

Pickering is a good base for some great walking in the NY Moors. Taking the A169 from the town up to Goathland and across to Egton Bridge, onto Danby, Castleton and down to Rosedale Abbey, Hutton le Hole and back to Pickering will give you endless opportunties for great walks.
Mike

www.walking-books.com
Books, guides and maps on Britain's best scenic walks

Come and have a chat on Twitter - walkingbookscom

Bill T

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:49:38, 23/08/09 »
If based in Pickering I would get yourself an all day train ticket and plan walks based on the stations, I seem to recall that Newton le Dale offers some good opportunities, you can then head north and perhaps pick up the train again at Goathland.  It offers a lovely mix of moor walking and 1950's steam train travel.
Dirger

Resident Lyke Wake Bore

sjwato

« Reply #4 on: 17:21:47, 23/08/09 »
Using the Moorsbus network opens up some interesting and affordable possibilities.

See http://www.northyorkmoors.org.uk/content.php?nID=244 [nofollow]

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:56:35, 23/08/09 »
Pickering is a good area, we've used this cmapsite before ..... http://www.forestholidays.co.uk/camping_and_caravanning/our_sites__locations/england/spiers_house.aspx
There's loads of good walking around the Dalby Froest, then there's the Hole of Horcum and the White Horse walk at Sutton Bank.

Gary ....
http://www.mywainwrights.co.uk
just got back from a couple of days in Hinderwell, 8 miles north of Whitby, and took in some coastal walking. Great weather, views and little hidden places like Staithes & Runswick Bay on the Cleveland Way. Stopped of at Sutton Bank and did the White Horse walk today. There are a good few walks around that area from an easy 2hour to a more strenuos 7 hour.

walking-books

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:14:15, 23/08/09 »
just got back from a couple of days in Hinderwell, 8 miles north of Whitby, and took in some coastal walking. Great weather, views and little hidden places like Staithes & Runswick Bay on the Cleveland Way. Stopped of at Sutton Bank and did the White Horse walk today. There are a good few walks around that area from an easy 2hour to a more strenuos 7 hour.

Glad you've had a good time - got any pics of Staithes/Hinderwell etc?
Mike

www.walking-books.com

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:53:39, 24/08/09 »
I used to live up this way and we are going there in Oct for a week of walking.

Loads and loads of good walks - just get the map out and make up a line - you won't be dissappointed.
Using the train and bus is an excellent idea.

the only fly in the ointment is the constant drone of the training aircraft all through the week - they seem to stop at weekends.

Robshill

« Reply #8 on: 09:03:32, 01/09/09 »

One of my favourites is the Hole Of Horcum and Newtondale, cross the road from the car park and over the moor passing Seavy Pond and Dundale Pond (built by the monks for watering their sheep) Then down into Newtondale, crossing the famous North York Moors Railway, if you are lucky you might get a view of a steam train.

Heading along the valley towards Newtondale Halt then under the railway and climbing up the steps and path of Hudsons Griff with its small waterfall on the right, then back over moor to the Hole of Horcum.

Do it mid week you might not see a soul all day!

Robtheranger

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:53:18, 01/09/09 »
Osmotherly cant be beaten in my opinion.  O0

Alistair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:15:21, 01/09/09 »
Just come back from Scarborough and we looked in the tourist info and we managed to see some Go cards for 60p each, theres a colour map on the front and guidance notes on the back

GC25 The Bridestones, Staindale, NYM, 3.5 m
GC26 Farndale, NYM, 3.5m
GC27 Roulston Scar & the white horse, NYM, 3.5m
GC28 The Hole of Horcum, NYM, 5m
GC29 Robin Hoods Bay, NYM, 3m
GC30 Whitby, NYM, 4.5m
GC31 Littlebeck & Goathland, NYM, 4m
GC32 Great Ayton & Roseberry Topping, NYM, 7m

Thoughts come clearly while one walks.
               Thomas Mann

walking-books

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:40:08, 01/09/09 »
Just come back from Scarborough and we looked in the tourist info and we managed to see some Go cards for 60p each, theres a colour map on the front and guidance notes on the back

GC25 The Bridestones, Staindale, NYM, 3.5 m
GC26 Farndale, NYM, 3.5m
GC27 Roulston Scar & the white horse, NYM, 3.5m
GC28 The Hole of Horcum, NYM, 5m
GC29 Robin Hoods Bay, NYM, 3m
GC30 Whitby, NYM, 4.5m
GC31 Littlebeck & Goathland, NYM, 4m
GC32 Great Ayton & Roseberry Topping, NYM, 7m

From the same people who do the LapMaps for various areas and quite amusing postcards under the name Cardtoons. We used a card for a Lake District walk and it didn't stand up to much handling.

Mike

www.walking-books.com

Sara

« Reply #12 on: 16:19:05, 01/09/09 »
Its a beautiful walk to the Bridestones.
Sara

colliecorner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:57:09, 27/09/09 »
One of my favourites is the Hole Of Horcum and Newtondale, cross the road from the car park and over the moor passing Seavy Pond and Dundale Pond (built by the monks for watering their sheep) Then down into Newtondale, crossing the famous North York Moors Railway, if you are lucky you might get a view of a steam train.

Heading along the valley towards Newtondale Halt then under the railway and climbing up the steps and path of Hudsons Griff with its small waterfall on the right, then back over moor to the Hole of Horcum.

Do it mid week you might not see a soul all day!

Robtheranger
what sort or mileage ??
any chance of a more detailed route ?

looking to do more in yorkshire next year and looking for some routes

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:37:11, 12/10/09 »
Just got back walking with the Missus.

We were based at Ruswarp near Whitby - handy for the Esk valley line.

Walks were Ruswarp to Ravenscar on the old rail track and return via the coast and Robin Hood's Bay.

North from Whitby to Runswick bay then return on coast.

Ruswarp to Grosmont on Esk Valley way then to Goathland (to be avoided like the plague - too many fatty Heartbeat fans) then return over moors.

Parked car near Hinderwell walked to Saltburn inland then back on Coast to Runswick Bay thus completing the coast from RHB.

Train to Danby the North over moor and (beer at the excellent horseshoe in Egton) Valley back to Ruswarp.

Train to Danby again then Danby Rigg and Lyke wake dropping down into Egton Bridge to catch train - still early so changed this and walked back to Ruswarp on Esk valley way again.

All very pleasant undemanding walks even The Missus could manage.

We tried not to use the car cos the dog is afraid of travelling in the car - he does not mind the train - but is not keen on the steam trains.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy