Author Topic: Steeple to Scoat Fell Arête  (Read 3656 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Steeple to Scoat Fell Arête
« Reply #15 on: 21:22:35, 26/06/19 »
I have not done either the Dropping Crag/Great Door route or the Stirrup Crag route before. I have always avoided both ends of Yewbarrow and always ascended using the "up to the col" path from the west, so I have no advice to offer  :)

Both routes look horrendously steep, too steep for us to do with wild camping packs  :-\

Strange, I have never had a pint in the Wasdale Head either. That one will be easier to achieve  ;D
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 23:11:23, 26/06/19 »
Seven rounds and never a pint in the wasdale head? They do serve wine too...... O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 13:43:11, 27/06/19 »
They serve wine by the pint?  :o
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 16:48:10, 27/06/19 »
I'm sure they would if you asked nicely.

Steve18566

« Reply #19 on: 06:53:00, 28/06/19 »
I'll second that  O0

Which way would you recommend? Yewbarrow, Red Pike, Pillar or Pillar, Red Pike, Yewbarrow?

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 08:23:44, 28/06/19 »

Which way would you recommend? Yewbarrow, Red Pike, Pillar or Pillar, Red Pike, Yewbarrow?
I always remember reading about doing the Mosedale horseshoe and the suggestion the clockwise/anti-clockwise directions would be influenced by how bright/hot the sun was likely to be: And you would be better going round so the sun wasn't in your face at the hottest times of the day.

Pardon my ignorance as I don't know the route you are suggesting or checked the map - but would the sun perhaps be a factor to consider ?
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 12:11:46, 28/06/19 »
Personally, I would start with Yewbarrow. 

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 12:30:07, 28/06/19 »
+1 for Yewbarrow first. I prefer a very steep up than a very steep down.

Not that I have been up this particular route of course  :D
Hate will never win

photonut

« Reply #23 on: 13:57:57, 02/07/19 »
Yep, I'd definitely opt for Yewbarrow first.

From Overbeck Bridge car park you are straight up onto Yewbarrow (and if you stick to the path   ::) ) it will take you up an average bit of scrambling past Grear Door.  A fantastic view if ever there was one.  Continue to the south summit of Yewbarrow and once passed you go about two-thrids along the spine of of the fell and you will get to a boggy area with a cairn.  Turn left here and it takes you down the side of Yewbarrow North summit missing out Stirrup Crag.  I vowed I would never go down there again... once was bad enough.  Going up is not such a drama.

Then, onwards to Red Pike et al.  After Pillar drop into Wasdale via the Black Sail Pass (Looking Stead is worth the very small detour).

A very nice walk and once done you get to pass Wasdale Inn on your way back to the car   O0

Steve18566

« Reply #24 on: 11:29:04, 03/07/19 »
Thanks all.

Yewbarrow first it is

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy