Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292198 times)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #720 on: 19:37:41, 07/05/19 »
A small mirror for my first aid kit (I wear contact lenses and trying to re-insert a slipped lens on an overnight camp never good without a mirror) and BCB Crusader for my day hikes to brew up. Whats next on the list? Well it never ends does it?  :-[
How do you see to insert your contact lens, if you don’t have them in place?

and101

« Reply #721 on: 19:48:49, 07/05/19 »
Lol I'm long sighted so can get by. I've either rubbed my eye too hard (often done this in my sleep) or got sweat/flies/grit in my eye and need to take the lens out. I've scratched my cornea once too often when something gets under the contact lens. Not good  :(

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #722 on: 22:02:50, 07/05/19 »
I wear glasses, especially reading ones. Why do people wear contact lenses, is there a particular reason?

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #723 on: 22:10:32, 07/05/19 »
I'm short sighted but not badly so. I considered contacts on the basis I might then have 20/20 vision other than when driving (when I wear the glasses as writing at a distance is a bit blurry which happens to be the legal check of sight for driving) and because glasses get dirty and rained on when I do wear them outside the car.

and101

« Reply #724 on: 22:14:18, 07/05/19 »
I wear glasses, especially reading ones. Why do people wear contact lenses, is there a particular reason?

They don't get steamed up in the cold and no rain smudges. I find them comfy to wear especially as they are monthly ones that I wear even when asleep. For me its convenient and comfy. Until it goes missing at the back of my eye.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #725 on: 22:25:26, 07/05/19 »

They don't get steamed up in the cold and no rain smudges. I find them comfy to wear especially as they are monthly ones that I wear even when asleep. For me its convenient and comfy. Until it goes missing at the back of my eye.
  I used to wear disposable contacts before I needed varifocal glasses - as you say, they don't fog up or get mucky.  Eventually I found I found I could not see to read at all with them in.  I spent a time with one in and one out, which was ok for activities like skiing but a bit iffy for flying, then that stopped working so I went back to glasses.
Solvitur Ambulando

Moorview

« Reply #726 on: 06:39:08, 15/05/19 »
My contact lens are amazing.Started because of sport in the rain but one big advantage is my prescription has hardly changed in 40 years. :D

I can see better in contacts than my glasses so contacts to me are amazing.

Pitboot

« Reply #727 on: 08:08:23, 15/05/19 »
A visit to Alpkit Ambleside yesterday to donate some gear in their Continuum scheme saw me leaving the store with some Ti tent stakes and some lightweight trekking socks.

Mark Sabine

« Reply #728 on: 09:08:32, 15/05/19 »
As a newbie, currently crocked with a new hip ,I'm not buying ,but trawling the internet salivating at all the new lovliness and driving my beloved mad. In the market for new Zamberlans when I'm back on two legs though as my pair is balder than me ::)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #729 on: 11:32:43, 15/05/19 »
Midge head/face net from Amazon.Just arrived in the post it is enormous.
It consists of a very long tube of netting with a piece of ripstop nylon for the top of the head and an elasticated  cinch to pull it in tight around the neck.

Jury is out on this one but it weighs nowt so we'll see. Only a couple of quid so no damage if it is useless. Got it for the Great  Glen Way which I am aiming at next month.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Pitboot

« Reply #730 on: 11:53:12, 15/05/19 »
Worth its non-weight in gold when the midges get thirsty.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #731 on: 12:33:30, 15/05/19 »
Nice reminder, I have one and wondering if I should pack it for my C2C walk at end June/early July  :-\
Where there's a will ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #732 on: 12:54:08, 15/05/19 »
Nice reminder, I have one and wondering if I should pack it for my C2C walk at end June/early July  :-\
If yours is anything like mine and you don't need it for midges it will be useful as a laundry bag ;D
Too little, too late, too bad......

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #733 on: 13:58:34, 15/05/19 »
My sleeping bag came with a dual-purpose midge headwear and airing bag. Very handy for both uses.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #734 on: 18:31:36, 15/05/19 »
I have paid out to an online firm but I'm worried that I might have fallen for a scam? I ordered a Rab Vital Hoody for £24.64 on the 5th May, seemed to be about £50ish everywhere else.

It's now 15th May and doubts are now creeping into my mind that my desire for a cheap price has possibly dropped me in it? I've emailed the firm twice and they send me a copy of my invoice each time but nothing else.

I won't name the firm yet, for all I know my suspicion may be way out of order as it might turn up tomorrow. I've never had to wait this long for a delivery before and to date I've never been caught out by an internet purchase but as they say, there's always a first time.

Their delivery section said it was going to be delivered by something called 'Best Way?' I almost bought a down blanket from another firm the other day but on seeing that they too were offering 'Best Way' delivery I decided not to purchase again until I have clarity about my Rab hoody purchase.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy