Author Topic: Guaranteed to Keep You Dry - Don't Talk Wet  (Read 2257 times)

stuwalker

Guaranteed to Keep You Dry - Don't Talk Wet
« on: 12:22:02, 06/10/08 »
Guaranteed to Keep You Dry - Don't Talk Wet

Three years I bought a Mountain Equipment Kongur Gortex Jacket, since then I have had it replaced on four separate occasions. I have had two XCR jackets and now two of their latest pro shell ones  All have the same problem, that is that the pockets fill with water and gradually leak into the inside of the jacket. So far I have rendered useless one digital camera and two mobile phones.

Christmas before last I returned the jacket together with a letter to the Managing Director of Mountain Equipment describing what was wrong with the jacket, whilst the jacket was replaced I never got a reply offering an apology or advising what they intended to do about the situation. Again the new jacket failed to perform.

I often like to go on multi day backpacking trips camping overnight, sadly with this jacket you would be at serious risk of hypothermia. I wore my latest version on Mickle Fell this Saturday (4th of Oct 08) the weather was dreadful in the end we were only out a few hours but again I was soaked.

How on earth this jacket gets 50/50 in the "Ultimate Waterproof" test in a well known outdoor magazine beggar's belief. Who does the gear testing either for Mountain Equipment or for the magazine? They obviously do not go out in the rain.

When you consider the cost of £260 against the poor people who manufacture the gear on a dollar a day and that the cost of this jacket probably represents a weeks wage to the retail staff selling them I feel aggrieved that the jacket in essence represents extremely poor value for money.

In conclusion this jacket is not worth the price tag, rating 0/5

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy