Author Topic: Steering or pedal lock advice needed fo mocro camper  (Read 2987 times)

Doddy

I hike from my Micro camper so it is parked for a full day, maybe more. Is a steering lock the way to go, please suggest a good lock model; or is electric alarm a better bet. Seems to people ignore them if they go off.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Steering or pedal lock advice needed fo mocro camper
« Reply #1 on: 15:28:08, 12/03/19 »
I hike from my Micro camper so it is parked for a full day, maybe more. Is a steering lock the way to go, please suggest a good lock model; or is electric alarm a better bet. Seems to people ignore them if they go off.
Steering Lock and Wheel Clamp.  Belt and braces.
Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:34:50, 12/03/19 »
Which is more likely, theft of the vehicle or theft from the vehicle? Steering lock or wheel clamp for the former, electric alarm and immobiliser for the latter. 
Cheap option - I was given a Moor Aware notice while parked up on Dartmoor near Princeton. It is a prominent blue and yellow sign that goes on the top of the dashboard that says “Moor Aware. No valuable items have been left in this vehicle “. It is SWMBO’s job to fish it out of the glovebox when we park up.
Solvitur Ambulando

Doddy

« Reply #3 on: 17:06:24, 12/03/19 »
I have thought beefing up the security might evidence that there is valuables present when there is only sleeping and cooking gear.

taxino8

« Reply #4 on: 18:14:53, 12/03/19 »
I use a Disklok and a SafeT Pedal lock on my Land Rover Defender as visible deterrents but also have tracking and additional immobiliser as well
Even if you had the key you couldn’t start it, that’s all obviously cost me a few quid but I think it’s well worth it.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:31:20, 12/03/19 »
When I leave my car for a few days it is laden with base camp equipment, clothing, etc., and it is a worry.
I put an old duvet cover over everything but that's not going to stop someone doing a window in to see what's there. All I can do is leave my car in a village in full view of a row of cottages and hope for the best.

Rant alert! Having said that, it didn't stop a pair of guys jacking my car up outside my house in a suburban area last year and cutting off my catalytic converter, witnessed by neighbours and captured on three peoples' cctv. It cost me £150 excess and this year's premium has gone up 35%. The insurer will have what they paid out back in no time.

Petrolhead

« Reply #6 on: 11:53:32, 13/03/19 »
As others have said, you're never going to stop someone who really wants to get in your car and steal something but if it's a loss of the car that is your worry (trust me, I KNOW!!!) then a disklok is by FAR the best method to deter a would be theif. Their only option to get it off is to cut through it, which would take ages and they would have needed to have brought their power tools along too.

I love my cars dearly so have done a LOT of research into this. Including a chat online with someone who claimed to be a genuine car theif. "Wouldn't even consider attempting a car with a disklok..."

Definitely the best way to go, and at about £80 from Halfords, it's not going to break the bank either.

If you want to go the extra mile, fit a hidden kill switch to the battery. But a disklok will be more than enough.

Doddy

« Reply #7 on: 13:21:03, 13/03/19 »
Thanks fellas good advice. Sorry about the typos in the subject area.

davengf

« Reply #8 on: 13:38:36, 13/03/19 »
The only thing regarding valuables kept in your van is to have a good look at the interior panels etc in your car to see if there are any hiding places.

I used to go on 4-5 week tours in my van & it was often left in some very remote areas for days. so always worried about what would happen if someone broke into my van or stole my rucksack.
So emergency cash & credit card were taped behind interior panels or under seats. My netbook was stashed inside the rear seat - bit of discrete seam splitting & then repaired with velcro. Other places used were under ashtrays/pockets (they normally are just clipped in) in side panels & behind carpeting in boot.
Not a perfect solution but done the hope that the thieves/vandals would be in too much of a rush to strip the interior of an old camper van & would be content with stealing what was in full view.

You can only go so far though - My car  & 4 others were broken into late one Sunday morning, parked in full view of a row of houses in the middle of town. Thieves hammered a screwdriver through the door into the lock & got a handful of loose change. I got a damaged door panel & a massive shock when I was told how much a replacement door lock was!!

Doddy

« Reply #9 on: 14:12:52, 13/03/19 »

Good ideas davengf.
On multiday walks I have used a campsite and then asked if I could leave the vehicle for a few days- worth a sum to park it near the farm; not always charged if you are using/have used the site.

taxino8

« Reply #10 on: 16:35:04, 13/03/19 »
Good ideas davengf.
On multiday walks I have used a campsite and then asked if I could leave the vehicle for a few days- worth a sum to park it near the farm; not always charged if you are using/have used the site.
I always try to do that, Seathwaite Farm is a good example, the last time I went and asked the farmer, Peter I think he was called, said ok just a couple of quid, I was so grateful I gave him a fiver as even at that it was well worth it.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:12:42, 13/03/19 »
I always try to do that, Seathwaite Farm is a good example, the last time I went and asked the farmer, Peter I think he was called, said ok just a couple of quid, I was so grateful I gave him a fiver as even at that it was well worth it.

Huh! A certain camp site I use in Snowdonia has a charge of £8 a day to leave a car there  :(

taxino8

« Reply #12 on: 18:17:15, 13/03/19 »
Huh! A certain camp site I use in Snowdonia has a charge of £8 a day to leave a car there  :(
That might seem expensive to you in Wales but to be honest I’d pay more just for the peace of mind knowing my car was relatively safe.
The Lake District is very, very expensive for paid car parking in official places, be it National Trust, Lake District Park Authority, etc. Any free spots are normally taken very early on in the day.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:31:47, 13/03/19 »
A far better alternative to an expensive Disklok, is a battery cut off switch.
Its a small connector that is easy to connect to your battery earth lead, and you just unscrew a special terminal that cuts all power to your vehicle.
To reinstall power to your car, you just turn the screw anticlockwise.

There is no chance of accidental  battery drain, and its a cheaper alternative to a steering lock.

I have one of those bulky yellow disklocks, but have mislaid the keys to the thing, and replacements are nearly £60.

I agree that if a thief sees as Disklock on your vehicle, he is likely to look elsewhere for a vehicle to pinch, but what if your away from your pride and joy for several hours.

Its easy pickings, but with a totally invisible battery cut off switch, under your bonnet, most thief's would simply give up, if there's no electric going to the vehicle.

A cut off switch costs around £20, a Disklock costs a lot more.

taxino8

« Reply #14 on: 19:33:10, 13/03/19 »
A far better alternative to an expensive Disklok, is a battery cut off switch.
Its a small connector that is easy to connect to your battery earth lead, and you just unscrew a special terminal that cuts all power to your vehicle.
To reinstall power to your car, you just turn the screw anticlockwise.

There is no chance of accidental  battery drain, and its a cheaper alternative tp a steering lock.

I have one of those bulky yellow disklocks, but have mislaid the keys to the thing, and replacements are nearly £60.

I agree that if a thief sees as Disklock on your vehicle, he is likely to look elsewhere for a vehicle to pinch, but what if your away from your pride and joy for several hours.

Its easy pickings, but with a totally invisible battery cut off switch, under your bonnet, most thief's would simply give up, if there's no electric going to the vehicle.

A cut off switch costs around £20, a Disklock costs a lot more.
Would your car alarm still work with this cut off switch?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy