Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 278523 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #1335 on: 21:01:00, 03/08/20 »
I'm going to hike from Winchester to Petersfield tomorrow along the South Downs Way, including I think a couple of detours, I'll decide en route.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1336 on: 21:13:58, 03/08/20 »
Just for a laugh, today I decided to viewranger track record my wanderings round our office building with it's new covid-secure one way system.  I ended up doing 1.25 miles over the course of the full day  :o

I think there may have been a couple of spikes as I don't remember being outside quite that much  :D

Still claiming it though as it'll make up for the couple of miles that didn't record on Saturday's Melliemooch.

Dread

« Reply #1337 on: 21:17:32, 03/08/20 »
Family camping in the Mendips so had a nice walk around Ebbor Gorge today. Beautiful countryside and amazing views all the way to Exmoor. Lots of butterflies and got close up to a pheasant as I nearly stepped on it and it flew up in front of my face.

Off to Exmoor tomorrow, probably near the sea for the wife and daughter. Might get a section of the SWCP in if I'm lucky.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1338 on: 21:26:35, 03/08/20 »
Wedding anniversary tomorrow so we have booked lunch at a North Devon pub we know to claim our Boris £10 meal deal.  Just finished plotting a morning walk that starts and finishes in front of the pub so we can work up a decent appetite - wouldn't want to disappoint No10 by not doing justice to our lunch. 
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1339 on: 22:09:17, 03/08/20 »
Happy Anniversary Ninthace and Mrs Ninthace - hope you enjoy a good lunch. Can you divulge which pub?

We've been exploring the Backdown Hills - 11 miles in the Wellie's monument area today. Good walking and fantastic views right across to Haytor.

Last week we discovered the Luppitt Inn - I'd tell you more but it's a local Inn for locals people.  We were rather late home that evening.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1340 on: 08:46:44, 04/08/20 »
Thanks Jac.  I have filed Luppitt for a trip.  We got as far as the hillsl and woods by Dunkeswell last year as well as the Backdown Hills but so far the bit in between is a gap in the CV.
It is Chittlehampton for today, mostly road work though this time.  Lunch is at the Bell Inn.  If you are ever in the Exmoor area, I can recommend the London Inn in Molland as a good place to end up though they are on reduced opening at present.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1341 on: 11:21:08, 04/08/20 »
Well after my last walk up The Cheviot in June, resulting in 'injuries', I've attempted a few trial walks around the block which resulted in failure. A week gone Sunday managed a very slow 2 1/2 mile stroll around riverbanks, suffered too much to get much sleep. But last Sunday managed another slow stroll around riverbanks, 5 1/2 miles this time, no real problems afterwards! Desperate to get back out again, yesterday decided to try a late afternoon tester along a bit of 'The Wall', I've got a gap to fill on Hadrians Wall Eastwards from Housesteads towards the farm, just past Milecastle 35. Rang to check car park opening hours first. It was busier than expected, car park almost full, why is it always blowing a hoolie up to the Wall, you get up top and it's much calmer!

The walk was really quiet, once on 'The Wall Way', although met some interesting folk to chat to, really missed that!

Weather was canny, could clearly see The Cheviots on one side and down to Cross Fell (I believe); wind got up on the way back, blowing cap off number of times, then a build up of cloud but no rain!

A walker had lost his sole or a soulless walker!

img upload

Of course legs started to have problems but not too severe, had a reasonable nights sleep apart from being awoken by my snoring!

Then at 7.30am this morning I could hear a noise outside the front of the house, too early for the bin men. As it continued got up to have a gander; at first though it was an ambulance outside, but it was a police van. Two police officers were standing over a man lying on the ground covered in a blue blanket, signs of bodily fluids running from him down the path. Shortly afterwards they were all gone; although a bit strange for that time of the day, guess it may have been a well known drunk!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1342 on: 11:48:24, 04/08/20 »
Good that you are managing to get out, Dodgylegs - and your walk is deserving of a Trip Report in its own right! Particularly like the photos of the escarpments, the tarns and the woods.

Two police officers were standing over a man lying on the ground covered in a blue blanket, sighs of bodily fluids running from him down the path. Shortly afterwards they were all gone; although a bit strange for that time of the day, guess it may have been a well known drunk!
Thank you for the insight into your world. ;)

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1343 on: 12:03:12, 04/08/20 »
Thank you for the insight into your world. ;)

Live at the bottom of a quiet cul-de-sac .... odd things occur from time to time!

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1344 on: 12:05:42, 04/08/20 »
Just for a laugh, today I decided to viewranger track record my wanderings round our office building with it's new covid-secure one way system.  I ended up doing 1.25 miles over the course of the full day  :o

I think there may have been a couple of spikes as I don't remember being outside quite that much  :D

Still claiming it though as it'll make up for the couple of miles that didn't record on Saturday's Melliemooch.

Modern Art Mel!

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #1345 on: 16:25:22, 05/08/20 »
Cleeve Hill to Painswick on the Cotswold Way for me Friday, then onto Uley Bury on Saturday morning before a bbq lunch at the sisters and the drive back home.  Gonna be a hot day at 30'c.
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1346 on: 22:26:14, 05/08/20 »
I hiked the South Downs Way from Winchester to Petersfield on Tuesday, I started at 6 a.m and finished at 5 pm. Not many hikers about but quite a few mountain bikers. I'm normally a daily off-road runner and I assumed that hiking this distance would be fairly easy. It wasn't and towards the end, I even had shin splints pain, something that I haven't experienced in years. I concluded that I maybe use different muscles when hiking? The weather was bright, sunny and hot and it was very enjoyable for most of the way.

Mind you its the first real days walk that I've attempted since January. Over the lockdown period I've concentrated on off-road running.

My surprise of the day was when I got off the train at Portsmouth Harbour on the way home. There directly in front of me were three young woman (early 20s I think) who all had face masks on but were saying goodbye to each other with lots of Mmah!, Mmah! cheek kisses (through their masks of course) and hugging each other very physically as well. I think my son would have called it a 'Celtic huddle?'

I may have tutted under my breath as I walk past?

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1347 on: 12:40:15, 06/08/20 »
I hiked the South Downs Way from Winchester to Petersfield on Tuesday, I started at 6 a.m and finished at 5 pm. Not many hikers about but quite a few mountain bikers. I'm normally a daily off-road runner and I assumed that hiking this distance would be fairly easy. It wasn't and towards the end, I even had shin splints pain, something that I haven't experienced in years. I concluded that I maybe use different muscles when hiking? The weather was bright, sunny and hot and it was very enjoyable for most of the way.

Mind you its the first real days walk that I've attempted since January. Over the lockdown period I've concentrated on off-road running.

My surprise of the day was when I got off the train at Portsmouth Harbour on the way home. There directly in front of me were three young woman (early 20s I think) who all had face masks on but were saying goodbye to each other with lots of Mmah!, Mmah! cheek kisses (through their masks of course) and hugging each other very physically as well. I think my son would have called it a 'Celtic huddle?'

I may have tutted under my breath as I walk past?

A chunk of the fatigue and aches are simply down to how long you have been on two feet for.  Just standing in the corner of a field for 11 hours, with a pack on your pack would likely require more effort and calories, than a hour jogging up and down the same field. 

I find long self supported walks take a lot more out of me that jogging the same route supported.  Not carrying the extra weight, water and food required for say 25 miles means you can cover it much quicker and actually use less calories jogging than walking.

And for sure you are also using different muscles.

Warbler

« Reply #1348 on: 14:36:32, 06/08/20 »

I'm not surprised you were hurting. That's a walk of over 25 miles, and your first real walk since January  :o

It is true though about different activities using different muscles. I find it's also true with walking on different terrains.
Two weeks ago I walked a circular in the South Downs, which included part of your route from Beacon Hill to just beyond Meon Springs fishery, including up and over Old Winchester Hill. This was 13 miles with 1600ft of ascent and descent, at the end of which I felt fine. Different muscles used.

Earlier this week I did a riverside walk of 14 miles, all on the flat, and I was ready to drop near the end. The same muscles used throughout.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1349 on: 11:04:25, 10/08/20 »
Contemplating a wild camp on the Coniston Fells tonight, thunderstorms permitting. Don't think that I'll be camping on the fell tops!
Quite fancy Blind Tarn, but bit of a gamble finding a pitch, I suspect.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy