Author Topic: good shops in or around Newcastle  (Read 1764 times)

lumix

good shops in or around Newcastle
« on: 13:34:42, 17/01/09 »
Hi all,

I'm planning on getting kitted out with some boots, waterproofs, base layers etc.. for my first hiking adventure.

Does anyone know of any good shops in or around the newcastle area?

I've read on this forum that TK Max can sometimes have good bargains, so they are my first port of call but I'm not sure where to go after that. I went to Blacks recently, but they seemed VERY expensive or are all shops this deer?

Cheerrs
Jon

It's better to aim for the stars and land on the Moon, than aim for the lamp post and end up in the gutter!

ukmase

• Veteran Member
Re: good shops in or around Newcastle
« Reply #1 on: 15:27:53, 17/01/09 »
I use Nevis sports in Middlesbrough, quite a good shop. Blacks is rubbish in my opinion, as is Millets. Selling over inflated crap.

Internet is good for outdoor gear.

vertigo girl

« Reply #2 on: 17:49:13, 17/01/09 »
I also use the Middlesbrough branch of Nevis sport. They do have a branch in Newcastle. Also in N'castle - Tiso, I've shopped there and found staff knowledgeable and helpful.

Over at Shiremeoor there is a Great Outdoors superstore.

lumix

« Reply #3 on: 18:52:43, 17/01/09 »
Thanks everyone for the replys.

I've been looking at the great outdoors site, and they have some good offers on at the mo, so am going tomorrow to check them out.

Jon
It's better to aim for the stars and land on the Moon, than aim for the lamp post and end up in the gutter!

steve75

« Reply #4 on: 20:55:14, 20/01/09 »
I can recommend Reynolds outdoors 6 Derwent St, Sunderland. Very helpful staff business been running for over 100 years, so cant be to bad.

lumix

« Reply #5 on: 15:01:43, 24/01/09 »

I ended up going to "Great Outdoors" in Shiremoor, Newcastle. This was a good choice, as the staff are friendly, intentive and very knowledgeable. I have been 2 times and am going again on Sunday to get a tent.

I found the prices very competitive with some real bargains to be had. I've even been invited by one of the staff to join him in the summer on one of his mountain navigation courses.

Definitely a big thumbs up  O0
(and no, I don't work there!!)

Jon

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy