Author Topic: Wearings your socks over your Trousers?  (Read 12436 times)

titaniumdude

Re: Wearings your socks over your Trousers?
« Reply #15 on: 21:21:31, 22/05/07 »
I would deffy not want to try and wipe my ar*e with a dock leaf wearing false nails ;).  Oh yeah, hiya muggie and welcome to the board.  I personally would say a tent for an extended trip, but I like my luxuries.  Never done the c2c, but folks on here have and I'm sure lots of advice will follow.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Snowman

« Reply #16 on: 10:13:08, 23/05/07 »
Dazza - I thought it was interesting that you, who started this thread, recently added a post regarding ticks with a website giving advice regarding the little beggars.    One bit of advice is:

'Tuck trousers into socks so that ticks will crawl on the outside and be less likely to bite.'

If I do take up this habit it will be when there's no-one else around to see, and I'll make sure all is back to normal before entering the pub.

Muggie - purely my opinion, but I wouldn't ever use a bivi bag again.    I spent a miserable night in a serious thunderstorm, which meant that I had to seal the bag and then steam in the heat of the storm for several hours until the storm abated.   It was like spending the night in a sauna (it was gore-tex so supposed to be breathable).    Personally, I'm leaning towards ultralight shelters - see www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk.

S.

muggie

« Reply #17 on: 12:06:14, 23/05/07 »
that was not an issue with me as i used a REAL toilet!! n about the bivvy thing, owch-sounds nasty, but bear in mind we are going in summer so we would be less likely to encounter bad weather maybe?!?! xxxxxxxxxx
« Last Edit: 12:11:47, 23/05/07 by muggie »

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 22:17:39, 23/05/07 »
Dazza - I thought it was interesting that you, who started this thread, recently added a post regarding ticks with a website giving advice regarding the little beggars.    One bit of advice is:

'Tuck trousers into socks so that ticks will crawl on the outside and be less likely to bite.'

Yes I did notice that as well. I've also seen it mentioned that tight weave material is recommended so loose weave woolen socks, for example, may not help as much.

When in appropriate terrain I might start doing that, though sodden socks and trousers isn't overly appealing. Mostly though barren and blasted moors aren't their preferred location, which tends to be a feature of where I walk. I check myself regularly after a walk and have the tools to deal with any visitors that may turn up, and ofcourse I remind my mate to do check himself as well.

I have started using deet repellant on my calf muscles as well which is another recommendation.

Originally this was a fairly light hearted thread. Obviously as you learn more you do appreciate there can be reasons for doing something.
« Last Edit: 22:21:10, 23/05/07 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

titaniumdude

« Reply #19 on: 13:35:38, 24/05/07 »
Yeh, but if you forget to untuck your trousers when entering the pub people will keep asking where your bicycle pump is.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 19:47:25, 24/05/07 »
Heh heh. Too true. To which you answer I'll tell you for a pint of <insert favourite pint here>.

You never know it might just work!
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Gregmuzz

« Reply #21 on: 16:11:07, 02/06/07 »
i cant win either way i like to wear gaiters in the winter and i have to tuck my trousers in my socks sometimes because i cant find pants with the correct length for my legs ;D

Maybe i should just wear shorts :@)
Holiday Scotland website www.holidayscotland.org

Holiday Scotland Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/HolidayScotland

petrovich

« Reply #22 on: 13:31:34, 21/09/07 »
Well, I wear my socks ( Arsenal Red) over the bottoms of my trousers so there.......... ;) ;) ;) ;)

The point is that my socks were developed for professional footballers or other sportspeople who trained on very hard ground, and the material they are made of stops the occurence of blisters. I have to say they are very comfortable and I certainly do not suffer from blisters when walking over long distances. Yes they are not commercially available and you might be able to see me approaching at 3 miles but that is a small price to pay for extreme foot comfort.

Lake District next week, see you there.....

Regards
Regards

Peterl

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 17:35:16, 21/09/07 »
Got back home last week after a trip to Snowdonia that included three days walking and camping wild in great weather. For the first day and a half, I had my trousers rolled up to just below my knees.  Then I discovered loads of tiny ticks had attached themselves to my ankles and calves, and some had crawled higher (but not too high!)  I had several sessions picking them off with the point of the small blade on my Swiss Army Pocket Pal. 

If any of you spotted this strange man who kept dropping his trousers and examining his legs, I apologise and hope it didn't frighten you.

So, I've not done it before, but my trousers stayed tucked into my socks for the rest of the walk, and will be in the future too.

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 22:59:50, 28/09/07 »
 ;D i suppose its the same sort of thing as wearing white socks with open sandals..,hahaha but what ever does it for you eh?
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

particleman

« Reply #25 on: 18:41:20, 07/10/07 »
I like the idea of this thread.

Personally I think one can overdo it with fancy new gear with names like Pertex, Goretex, Neoprene, Event and the like.

I am tempted to go out one day looking something like my heroes of old; you know the grainy black and white photos of Mallory and Irvine?

It would require thick 'putties' wrapped around the ankles which like of look like long socks, woolen trousers with braces, hobnail boots, Gaberdine jacket, knitted scarf swinging an old wood and iron ice axe!

Then happily breeze by some modern goretex and titanium laden ramblers with a cheery 'Good-Day!'

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 23:27:49, 07/10/07 »
You'd regret it!

I started out walking and backpacking at the start of the 80's with the philosophy of all-natural materials - nothing synthetic for me!

I had hand-knitted wool thermal underwear [thick and heavy], wool shirts [itchy as hell, and sweaty - anyone else old enough to remember the rails full of plaid patterned shirts in outdoors shops?], a pair of navy blue ex-police trousers that I got through Exchange & Mart [wool, again, warm and windproof but stiff and collossally heavy], an ex-forces "Woolly Pully" and - wait for it - I even had a tweed jacket, obtained from a jumble sale, at one stage.  Waterproofs at that time were simply PU-coated over-the-head cagoules in which you became almost as wet from the condensation inside as you did from the rain outside.

With a combination of experience and the passing of time, with its advances in technology that have come about [plus my advancing years!], I have come to realise that for maximum enjoyment of the outdoors, in all that it can fling at you, and for maximum confidence, nothing but the best purpose-made modern garments of man-made materials will do.

Snowman

« Reply #27 on: 09:22:47, 08/10/07 »
Absolutely.

Now I know I'm showing my age, but I was a boy scout in the 60's, and gave up walking for many years after that period because the equipment was so poor (by comparison to today).

The boots you're talking about used to take about 6 months to wear in, and of course breathability hadn't even been thought about.

I remember taking my 1st Class hike (a 2 dayer) in the middle of summer, but having to wear my Scout uniform, which of course in those days was almost  paramilitary (cold war days when everyone was expecting Russia to invade Western Europe at any moment), which at the time meant thick woolen shirt and shorts.    Leather boots were too sweaty so I wore a pair of canvas boots which gave virtually no protection against anything, and thick woolen uniform socks.   My sleeping bag was so bulky there wasn't much else in my rucksack, which was a canvas bag with a couple of thin canvas straps that dug painfully into the shoulder.    If you were lucky you could afford a frame rucksack which was still a canvas bag, but with an aluminium frame that made it marginally more comfortable.

Camping out - a tent was out of the question because they were all heavy canvas and simply weighed far too much.    The alternative was a heavy waterproof (maybe) sheet that  you tied to whatever was there.

You tell the young people of today, they'd never believe you (copyright Monty Python).

No, if you want to enjoy your walking, be thankful for the technological advances of the last 40 years.

S.

titaniumdude

« Reply #28 on: 21:52:42, 08/10/07 »
Yep, absolutely.  Started a bit later, but still remember when most of the heavy duty stuff sniffed at today was considered posh high end of the market techy gear back then (thinking of heavy Karrimor rucksacks and force 10 tents in particular).  I recall backpacking on Dartmoor with an ancient alpine pack made of leather and canvas with steel buckles, wearing x german para boots (all I could afford) and at one point my 'waterproof' was an x naval provost great coat (which wasn't waterproof at all, but soaked up so much water it always kept me dry).  Having spent years upgrading my kit I look back and shudder at the thought of what my pack must've weighed.  I'd still rather have done it with inferior kit than not at all though! :)

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 16:48:59, 09/10/07 »
if you think red socks over trousers are bad then what do you think of long johns? or thermals? as ive just spent a few nights camping in the lakes and all though it was'nt that cold during the day, at night in mi sleeping bag im glad i had these german cold weather thermals even though my bag is a good un , getting out of your bag early in the mornings is always pretty cold,
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy