Author Topic: [TR] Bessyboot and a couple of others  (Read 2716 times)

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
[TR] Bessyboot and a couple of others
« on: 10:27:00, 26/11/10 »
A short notice meet arranged with Cogstar to take advantage of a decent forecast. We thought that Dibble wasn’t coming but she flew down the Borrowdale Road and arrived at Rosthwaite bang on time. She then rushed around thinking she was holding us up and proceeded up to leave us in her wake as she powered up the hill on our way to Brund Fell. :P We had to have frequent stops to take pictures of course as the weather was so nice – crisp and cold. Lexi the collie was bounding ahead and patiently waiting for us – I should say me really. It was a little cloudy in places but the sun was shining up above us. The first two hills of the day – Brund Fell and Great Crag have magnificent views from the summits, especially down over Castle Crag and along Borrowdale to Skiddaw in the north. As usual the higher peaks were making their own cloud caps and most of them were covered all day. The ground up on top of the fell was a little boggy and we were grateful that it was partly frozen, and saved some wet feet. The walk over to Great Crag was the worst of the wet, but even that was ok as it was mostly in shadow and still cold. Another easy ascent saw us on top of the second wainwright and again enjoying the views, helped by a bit of warming sunshine.

I’d planned this walk to take in Bessyboot on Rosthwaite Fell, but the only downside of it was that we had to walk right down to the valley before heading steeply up the other side. There were a few questions asked by a doubting Thomas about the route up the other side, as we couldn’t see it on the ground and it looked very steep – but I had my Satmap programmed, and as there weren’t any quarries on route, I was confident.. ;)

We met a very pleasant shepherd on a quad bike, out looking for some sheep. He nearly got stuck in a boggy bit and Cogstar offered to help him out – I’d liked to have seen that one. The plunge down the side of the hill off Lingy End to Stonethwaite was very steep, but being on the sunny side of the valley was frost free. A small diversion to Stonethwaite to cross the beck and then back up the valley to the campsite wondering where the path was. We found it easily enough, opposite the toilet block across the lane, through the gate and up and away.

What a delight this route was to get up to Bessyboot – a well laid path, nicely stepped, but unrelenting in its steepness. It climbed up through trees and beyond the treeline the view back down Stonethwaite was superb. Cogstar shouted down to me ‘I feel like a Hobbit’ – I thought he said something else ::). The path dipped a little at the top to a small dell before the ascent eased towards the top. Once up on top of the summit the views are superb and well worth the effort – Borrowdale to the north, the Honister Pass and down to the valleys below. We had a bit of lunch down by the Tarn at Leaves before heading back down beside Rottenstone Gill. Dibble had to get home, so she took her leave and sped off down the hillside, while Cogstar and self dawdled, trying to break the Guiness Book of Records for ‘most photos taken on a walk of the same view’ – it was nice though watching the late afternoon light change as the sun dropped behind the bigger fells.

A fantastic walk in good company (I highly recommend the walking forum meet ups) and as usual Alf Wainwright knew what he was doing when he picked these fells – well worth a visit.

distephano

Re: [TR] Bessyboot and a couple of others
« Reply #1 on: 10:52:43, 26/11/10 »
Great report and pics.  Love walking on crisp frosty days.  Was this a recent trip?  I thought there may have been a bit more in the way of snow up there.  I see there was some on the higher peaks.

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:41:30, 26/11/10 »
This was on Wednesday - the snowline up there was only on the highest peaks. Great Gable only had a dusting, but looking across to the Helvellyn range it seems that is where most of the snow is. To the north Skiddaw has a snowy top, but not much on Blencathra.

Walking wise the snow is icy already and not too good to walk on.

Crib Goch

« Reply #3 on: 21:01:45, 26/11/10 »
That looked like a good day Pete.
You wouldn't have had time probably, but a detour from Brund Fell to Kings How is worth the effort - it's a much better top IMHO.

I like that route up to Bessyboot from Stonethwaite - a really well engineered path - and you really feel you're gaining height fast.

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:45:37, 26/11/10 »
That looked like a good day Pete.
You wouldn't have had time probably, but a detour from Brund Fell to Kings How is worth the effort - it's a much better top IMHO.

I like that route up to Bessyboot from Stonethwaite - a really well engineered path - and you really feel you're gaining height fast.

Dibble pointed us that way and I'm sure the views down over Derwent Water would be fine. You're right about that path up to Bessyboot -  a fine path and a pleasure to plod up, and take time to take in the views O0

Cogstar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:51:19, 26/11/10 »
When I said '‘I feel like a Hobbit’ this was in a non psuedo erotica gay hobbit way. More to do with the fellowship cliffside pathways. Although I do find the hooves quite fetching in the right light    :-X
Get Big Picture

Cogstar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:52:09, 26/11/10 »
Sorry meant to say, your pictures are awesome Peter  O0 . I may post a few of my scratty ones on Sunday
Get Big Picture

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:53:10, 26/11/10 »
You've been at the cider again haven't you :buck2:

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: 22:06:24, 26/11/10 »
 O0 Nice report and pictures of an area I do not know well yet but I intend to explore. 
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

susiej

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:15:56, 26/11/10 »
Blimey Pete, great pics; you can feel the nip in the air-some fantastic skies there!, thanks for the pics and TR  O0
take it easy...but take it

www.yogaunionswansea.org

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:52:45, 27/11/10 »
Superb photos as always, RPete, thank you for sharing those memories of last Wednesday.

It was an absolutely fantastic walk.  I really enjoyed it all.... the brucies, the hobbits, and especially the trail up past the waterfall.  It was just up and up and up.   
I reckon it would be an awesome summer walk to just meander and enjoy. 

When I got down to the road, I crossed over and made my way back by an old path I used to know called Johnny's wood.  I passed the holiday cottage me and my family used to often stay in.  Happy memories!

I do have a question.... I've looked in my Wainwright book.. Bessyboot isn't a Wainwright is it... but Rosthwaite Fell is..so I need to go back don't I?
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:39:30, 27/11/10 »
Superb photos as always, RPete, thank you for sharing those memories of last Wednesday.

It was an absolutely fantastic walk.  I really enjoyed it all.... the brucies, the hobbits, and especially the trail up past the waterfall.  It was just up and up and up.   
I reckon it would be an awesome summer walk to just meander and enjoy. 

When I got down to the road, I crossed over and made my way back by an old path I used to know called Johnny's wood.  I passed the holiday cottage me and my family used to often stay in.  Happy memories!

I do have a question.... I've looked in my Wainwright book.. Bessyboot isn't a Wainwright is it... but Rosthwaite Fell is..so I need to go back don't I?

Was the bungalow next to the YHA? Because we went that way as well.

And no you don't need to go back for Rosthwaite Fell as Wainwright chose Bessyboot as his top O0.....I think

susiej

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:55:04, 27/11/10 »
When I said '‘I feel like a Hobbit’ this was in a non psuedo erotica gay hobbit way. More to do with the fellowship cliffside pathways. Although I do find the hooves quite fetching in the right light   :-X

glad you cleared that up  ::)
take it easy...but take it

www.yogaunionswansea.org

Tryfan75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 14:28:10, 27/11/10 »
Wonderful pictures Pete.  Thanks for sharing.
Matt O0

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 14:41:28, 27/11/10 »
Was the bungalow next to the YHA? Because we went that way as well.

And no you don't need to go back for Rosthwaite Fell as Wainwright chose Bessyboot as his top O0 .....I think

:)    Yes it was... just after there!

Thanks for the info about Bessyboot, cos that's what I thought... but
wanted to check.   O0
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy