Author Topic: Our last night....  (Read 3139 times)

botty

• Veteran Member
Our last night....
« on: 20:46:39, 14/07/11 »
Well tonight is our last night in the Lakes, and as I sit here in the bar at Irton Hall (yes it's got WIFI O0 ) I think we've learnt some lessons over the last week. Firstly, when it comes to hill-walking we're both a bit 'wimpy' - what do I mean, well neither of us really like ridges, narrow paths with long drops, exposed paths, and I don't like cows! We've had a good week, but many of our planned 'high walks' have been aborted for gentler walks as we wanted to ensure that we both enjoyed them, so we didn't risk any walks where we could have come up against our fears.

Thankfully the weather has been great - a little different to our very wet week in Coniston last September, so we've enjoyed all the walking that we have done. Over the weekend I'll upload my photos and update my blog for the week, so a busy day or two ahead. I'll down a few more Koppaberg's in the bar tonight, then get mentally prepared for the 194 mile drive home tomorrow...looks like rain when we get home.

dellwalker

• Veteran Member
Re: Our last night....
« Reply #1 on: 20:50:42, 14/07/11 »
Very pleased that you got good weather. It makes the difference between an excellent holiday and a disaster.

dave-harris

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:44:43, 14/07/11 »
Well tonight is our last night in the Lakes, and as I sit here in the bar at Irton Hall (yes it's got WIFI O0 ) I think we've learnt some lessons over the last week. Firstly, when it comes to hill-walking we're both a bit 'wimpy' - what do I mean, well neither of us really like ridges, narrow paths with long drops, exposed paths, and I don't like cows! We've had a good week, but many of our planned 'high walks' have been aborted for gentler walks as we wanted to ensure that we both enjoyed them, so we didn't risk any walks where we could have come up against our fears.

Botty. Thats not being wimpy, thats enjoying yourself  O0 The walk is what you make it. It does not matter if its high ridges, flat valleys or somewhere inbetween. The important thing is you enjoyed it  :coolsmiley:
I walk to live

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:04:12, 14/07/11 »
Hey up botty!  Did you get to Honister ?
Anywhere in the lakes is brill.  Most scenic lake with out a doubt is Ullswater  O0
Hope you enjoyed your week despite not doin the big ones,  :) 

mick

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:07:06, 14/07/11 »

Hello Botty,  
There is something about your post that touched a nerve with me , so I am going to come out and admit that one of the reasons that I have kept out of the lakes for the last couple of years  is simply because ive been scared of them and to a lesser degree all the folks there . why  ……………………………I don’t really know I suppose it the chance of failure & ridicule  :-\  

But one of the hard one lessons that I have managed to pick up recently is it doesn’t matter if you don’t do the high peaks or run across field s full of man eating cows waving a beef sarnie in front of them :P or wander along very narrow ridges where its certainly a painful death as you bounce down the rock face going ouch as you get smashed to bits as you fall :P as long as you enjoy what you are doing at the time.  
That is the important thing, enjoying the moment then and there. It really doesn’t matter what other people are doing, it’s all about what you and your loved ones. :-*  
I’ve only just started to go  back across there, I see the high peaks, & I so want to get up there again its almost painful for me, the mind is willing but the body is………… well useless. :(  
BUT I wander around the lower safer stuff and I am extremely happy. O0  
I am pleased that the weather was good for you and you had a good time & please don’t beat yourself up over not doing something that you didn’t really want to do in the first place. It’s not worth it.  
Take care and look forward to seeing some photos ……………………Mick (Lake District wuss )  

yorksgal

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:34:35, 14/07/11 »
Glad you had a great time Botty  O0   

Everybody is different and doing something that is out of you comfort zone is going to make the walk not as enjoyable.   :)

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: 23:37:28, 14/07/11 »
Only do what you enjoy mate life is too short  O0
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 00:21:54, 15/07/11 »
Glad you had great time and weather was good too I take it  O0 O0
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:47:29, 15/07/11 »
Botty, you have been incredibly lucky with the weather this week.  It has been absolutely beautiful this week.   ;)

Yesterday Keswick was the hottest place in Britain.   8)

Just being here in this weather is such a bonus....
looking forward to your photos.   O0
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

dave-harris

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:27:05, 15/07/11 »
Botty, you have been incredibly lucky with the weather this week.  It has been absolutely beautiful this week.   ;)

Yesterday Keswick was the hottest place in Britain.   8)

Just being here in this weather is such a bonus....
looking forward to your photos.   O0

Hi Dibble, can you order some good weather for the end of August when i'm in the Lakes?

I hope there are some walks planned, it would nice to meet some of you. I'll keep me eyes on the meets section  O0
I walk to live

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:00:34, 15/07/11 »
Botty - sounds like you have had a lovely relaxing holiday. I agree with what the others have said - it doesn't have to be death defying to be enjoyable. I am a complete wimp too when it comes to cattle, and cower behind people half my size when we have to go through a field - even horses make me uncomfortable if I'm in their enclosure. But if I am out with more experienced people,  from here for example, I am willing to go out of my comfort zone a little - but on my own or with Mr A we keep it simple and safe.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

botty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:53:27, 15/07/11 »
Hi all, many thanks for the feedback. I think that we probably went to the Lakes (well me particularly) with the notion that if you haven't done a few Wainwright's then you've wasted your visit. However, as the days went by we decided that it is about doing what you enjoy and not just about trying to do what other's do. I think back to the first time we went to Florida and I had to pluck up courage to go on the big coasters as I'd always been a little nervous of them so had never bothered in the UK.

Take yesterday for example, we had a 5hr walk around Ennerdale Water, the walk was great (a short 'exposed' section around Anglers Crag), the weather was great, the scenery was great, we had a longer than normal lunch and paddled a little in the water, a really enjoyable day. I think we'll just plan our walks a little more going forward, and for the time being keep away from anything where we aren't comfortable.

Anyway, I've not got around to my Blog yet but have spent the last few hours splitting all my photos into separate folders, and I've uploaded a few of them from each part of the holiday to https://picasaweb.google.com/botty.1963 I hope you enjoy them, and that for some they might bring back some memories. Now I'm off to catch up on some of the last week's TV O0

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:40:56, 15/07/11 »
Take yesterday for example, we had a 5hr walk around Ennerdale Water, the walk was great (a short 'exposed' section around Anglers Crag), the weather was great, the scenery was great, we had a longer than normal lunch and paddled a little in the water, a really enjoyable day. I think we'll just plan our walks a little more going forward, and for the time being keep away from anything where we aren't comfortable.
Them pics are stunning steve .  O0 O0 O0

Looks Ennerdale getting back to what it used to be.  :)  Not the planted forests that AW hated  >:(
There are some fantastic low level walks all round the lakes. You  will just have to get used to  gradually going higher  ::)   
More pics please  :)
« Last Edit: 20:50:04, 15/07/11 by Ridge Walker »

Highfieldbri

« Reply #13 on: 21:07:11, 15/07/11 »
Some cracking photo's there. Particularly like the Ennerdale and Wast Water ones. Love lakeside walking, don't get enough opportunity to do it. Certainly proves you don't have to climb great heights to have a great holiday  O0

glad you got the weather on your side too  O0

Bri

botty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:23:34, 15/07/11 »
I've just added this photo from the section of the walk around Anglers Crag at Ennerdale - this is my wife climbing up the rock. Thankfully the rock is only about 6-8 feet high, and although the path is well above the water (you can see the people at the edge of the water) the section is quite short, and I was really proud of my wife for doing it. I also had some butterflies, I must admit. For anyone who fancies the walk around Ennerdale, this photo makes the section look worse than it actually is.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy