Author Topic: [TR] - Not a Hot Air Balloon and a Suprise on Steeple!! 7/7/11  (Read 3439 times)

ScreeScaredy

The OH bought us a hot air balloon ride over the Lakes for Christmas and we had it booked for today – however – after the scorcher that was 4/7/11 (see TR here http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,14871.0.html) – the rest of the week had been a bit changeable. As instructed we rang the recorded line at 2.30pm to see if the balloon was still on – unfortunately it wasn’t. :( I can’t say I was too surprised as the clouds were moving pretty fast. The OH seemed really disappointed though…..maybe he just didn’t fancy me dragging him on a walk at 3pm!  ;D Anyway off we went – see Route below: approx 8.8miles ascent 3292ft according to memorymap.

Not long after setting off from Netherbeck Bridge – looking towards the Scafells.

Looking up at Yewbarrow – my new favourite…see TR (http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,14969.0.html)

Looking across the waterfalls to Knott Ends on the other side of Nether Beck

Scoat Fell in the distance

Now I actually can’t remember if this is Haycock or not – (that’ll teach me for taking so long to put my TRs on!) but I do remember we thought it was dead ahead at one point, only to realise we had a big swing round to the left.  ::)

Looking back at Seatallan and Middle Fell

I must say it felt like a bit of a slog up to Haycock! It wasn’t sunny but it felt pretty humid!

Reaching the saddle where the wall stretches for miles in either direction and looking over to Ennerdale. I always love it when you get the surprise view over into the next valley.  8)

Looking back over Yewbarrow and Illgill Head to the unmistakeable Harter Fell.

Over to about half left and it’s the Scafells and a section of Scoat Tarn poking out – that’s our route of return later…..(Scoat Tarn NOT the Scafells!)

Me with a similar backdrop to the above

Looking over to Red Pike (Buttermere one) and Grasmoor

High Stile Ridge and the lower slopes of Steeple

Follow the wall up to Scoat Fell and then on to Steeple sticking out to the left

And a bit closer

Looking back down to Wastwater and the Coniston Fells beyond Illgill Head

Looking back to Ennerdale with Crag Fell reaching down to the water.

And again but with Bowness Knott and Great Borne in the picture

Can’t get lost on this bit!

The dome shape of Great Gable seen over Dore Head.

Looking back to the two humps in the haze…..Haycock and Caw Fell

And the other hump on the left is Seatallan

Pillar

Steeple!! Yey!! It looks fantastic!  8) 8) 8)

Skiddaw Fells in the distance

The OH on Steeple with 1 other walker

Close up – Red Pike directly behind

Looking down towards Ennerdale

Mirklin Cove

Now my turn to get to the summit – looking back along the first section of the path

Nearly there….I met the other walker coming the other way (don’t think he really wanted to say hello!!)

Looking back to Mirk Cove

Over to Steeple and Great Gable popping up again like a Hungry Hippo!!  ;D

The views 360 degrees really were amazing and the OH made sure I stopped to take them all in……it was nearly 7pm and I thought he’d be wanting to get going….

Difficult to tear yourself away though….I turned round and he was on one knee!!!!!  :o :o

ScreeScaredy

Engaged on Steeple – with the summit all to ourselves and views in every direction!!! Absolutely perfect and magical!!!!  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

A VERY happy me!   :) :) :) :) :)

A VERY happy both of us!!   :) :-* :-*

And then he left me standing there on Steeple!!! All to get a good pic!!  ;D

Scoat Fell

On the way back via Scoat Tarn

Nature’s own infinity pool!

Big Boulder – good job I said yes as it’s a long walk back!!  ;D

The screes in the evening light

And back around to the Scafells…..

Yewbarrow….

Scafells plus a bit of Great Gable

My Husband to be in front of one of our favourite views!!   :smitten: :smitten:

It turned out he’d planned to propose in the hot air balloon and that’s why he seemed so disappointed when it was cancelled. He’d had the ring for ages and thought he’d propose on our 50th Wainright which was Steeple instead! Absolutely made up that he did – it was perfect!  :)

We walked pretty fast on the way back as time was getting on – we got back to the car about 8.50pm and though “great! We can make last food orders at the Wasdale Head Inn” so we got there sharpish only to find out last orders was 8.30!! oops!!

We made our way back to the campsite at Nether Wasdale and wandered to The Screes for a celebratory drink – waited until 9.30pm and then we ordered one of the takeaway pizza’s that they do until 11pm – we asked if we could have it in the pub and we did. So we celebrated our first night as an engaged couple with a pint and pizza out of a box in a pub…….and a cracking pizza it was too!!   :D :D :)

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
Oooh had he hurt himself?Those slopes are steep :-\

Lovely, lovely pictures Scree Scaredy - great views from up there and worth the effort to get on the tops.

Is he alright now? ;)

ScreeScaredy

hahahahah that's what I thought initially when he was on one knee as he does have a knee that plays up on walks sometimes!!!! The box with the ring in gave it away though!!!

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
Congratulations and wishing you both a long and happy life...... O0

Crib Goch

TR with a difference that one O0

A great story and excellent photos. Good Luck to you both.

Gilly

Fabulous pictures, looks like a brilliant route and what a reward!  Congratulations!
In the mountains there are only two grades: You can either do it, or you can't.

lovinit

• Veteran Member
Brilliant pics and trip report and of course a very happy day for both of you. Congratulations  O0 .
No one can go back in time & make a brand new beginning, but anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.

aljones27

• Veteran Member
A trip with a difference! Congratulations!
 O0 O0
Wainwrights: 17

Remember to keep smiling...
It really freaks people out as they wonder what you are up to...

http://alastairsmiscellany.blogspot.com

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
Congratulations to both of you on reaching your 50th Wainwright.  Oh, and for the engagement too!  O0 O0

The pictures are really really class, 'specially the one with a ring in it.   Good luck to the pair of you. :) :) :)

ScreeScaredy

thanks everyone!!  :) :) O0 O0

footix2

• Veteran Member
Congratulations.

I Steeple as scary as it looks? I wanted to do Haycock and Steeple this summer but never got round to it.
82/214

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
What a fantastic TR in all ways!!!! Will you marry on top of Scafell Pike or similar??? Have you set a date???

Love the pic of Steeple with the walker on the top to give it scale... What a great set of pics and what a great day that must have been... i love your TRs , to say youve done 50 wainwrights you know all the names of the fells, i can see one ive walked the day before and not know what it is  ;D   

Made me day  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

ScreeScaredy

cheers AJ - always flattered by your kind words. O0 O0
Hahaha the proposal wasn't conditional on getting married on a peak.....however we do want to get married in the Lakes - probably in 2014 - and I did suggest maybe we could choose one of the lower Wainwrights, make that our 100th and nip up for some pics :)
Don't be fooled into thinking I can name all the fells on sight.....I'm just a bit of a geek and try to use the Wainwright books to figure out which are which on my pics!! I also found this recently...... http://www.markrichards.info/publications/lakeland-fellranger/the-western-fells.html / http://www.markrichards.info/publications/lakeland-fellranger/the-north-western-fells.html with summit panaroma's for the fell tops. None for the other areas of the Lakes as yet.

ScreeScaredy

Congratulations.

I Steeple as scary as it looks? I wanted to do Haycock and Steeple this summer but never got round to it.

Hiya Footix....... thanks for the congrats.. O0
Steeple is nowhere near as scary as it looks.....if you're meaning the route over to it? It's pretty much a path all the way and a bit of very easy scambling to get to the top....plus when you get up there it feels awesome - like a proper pointy mountain! Even better if you get it to ourselves as we did.  :)
If you're not keen on exposure/heights however it may be a different matter - but it's hard for me to comment as those things don't bother me for the most part.
Would definitely recommend the walk - however beware if you do the route we did - it's a lot further in and out of the valley than it looks! Haycock was good for views but can't say it was my favourite of fells to climb - found the approach we took a bit of a dreary trudge! Glad we made that our 49th and not our 50th!  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy