Author Topic: Walks around Ullswater  (Read 7915 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Walks around Ullswater
« Reply #15 on: 17:00:13, 19/08/12 »
Helvellyn via striding edge from glenridding.  O0

Well yes, classic route and all that but for a first serious walk?

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 17:04:11, 19/08/12 »

Well yes, classic route and all that but for a first serious walk?
Agreed.
If so I hope she got some serious footware(see other topic) O0

travisg

« Reply #17 on: 18:15:42, 27/08/12 »
We do some relatively short walks around the Lakes, and have done a few around Patterdale/Ullswater area.

You could have a look on my blog for some details and pictures, there may be something to trigger an idea.

Hope this helps, try

"treksandtours.blogspot.co.uk"

Graham

wildCAMPER

« Reply #18 on: 09:43:09, 01/09/12 »
Another vote for Howtown to Glenridding, having caught the ferry to Howtown first.

This was I think my first ever walk in the Lake District with my parents and I must have been about 10. It whetted my appetite and set me on the path to a lifetime of walking all over the place :-) So definitely recommend it - not too strenuous and nice views. From this first walk just look to do something a touch longer/higher everytime - you'll be up striding edge/helvellyn in no-time :-)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 15:08:44, 18/08/15 »
I would recommend Place Fell from Patterdale. Walk along lake shore then return over the fell descending by Boredale Hause. Good intro - chance to view Helvellyn and suurounding fells plus Lake views,  Link to my trace: http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=1635

At the Pooley Bridge end consider walks over Askham Fell to Arthurs Pike and Loadpot Hill.  Gobarrow Fell is also an attractive option for a shorter walk.
Solvitur Ambulando

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 15:35:24, 18/08/15 »
Just to point out that this thread is 3 YEARS OLD and the original poster has not been back since.

wildCAMPER - welcome back to the forum

wildCAMPER

« Reply #22 on: 16:10:45, 18/08/15 »
Hi @Ridge - I know some original posts are old - but I think a lot of newer members might use the search bar to find info on a topic before posting a thread (like myself), and so threads that were started a while back, and their resulting comments will still be useful to new members? You'll know more than me though as I only dip into the forum now and then. Apologies if I should stay away from posting on older threads.

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 18:53:11, 18/08/15 »
Another vote for Gowbarrow fell - there is a circular walk on a good path now. Make sure you visit the Green Hill for cracking views of Ullswater, half a mile from the summit. You can also walk from Aira Force falls to Glenridding now. From Patterdale there is Arnison Crag, Place Fell, Birks, St Sunday Crag, Nethermost Pike, Helvellyn (the third highest). Hope this helps, Henry

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 19:03:37, 18/08/15 »

sorry JKM I missed this question.

If you walk up the track from Glenridding towards the Youth Hostel and Bunk House there is a row of houses on the right and you can cut up just before them, go round the back of them and then head on up.

As you return to the col from the top of the Dodd you will see a path curving round the side of the Dodd to follow Mossdale Beck. Do not be tempted to follow it. It is very overgrown by bracken at present and obstructed by the odd fallen tree. I found out the hard way last week.
Solvitur Ambulando

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 19:17:19, 18/08/15 »
Hi @Ridge - I know some original posts are old - but I think a lot of newer members might use the search bar to find info on a topic before posting a thread (like myself), and so threads that were started a while back, and their resulting comments will still be useful to new members? You'll know more than me though as I only dip into the forum now and then. Apologies if I should stay away from posting on older threads.
Hi

No problem with a bit of old thread revival I just thought it was worth mentioning that there was no point in people addressing answers to the original poster.

Ridge

hexham

« Reply #26 on: 19:36:05, 24/08/15 »
Just done Askham Fell and over to Barton Fell yesterday, the views were stunning even if it was rather breezy. Done it from the Askham side, starting of at Helton. Another favourite, and not often mentioned, is the low level walk, starting in Pooley Bridge and following the River Eamont up to Dalemain House, then turning SW to Dacre where the church is well worth a visit. The track from SH 167 cuts out a bit of road walking and then you can take the footpath across the fields, and the A692, to get back to Pooley. It's not a long walk but it makes for a nice easy stroll and it's seldom crowded ! Dockray up to Crookwath and Dowthwaite Head then over Birkett Fell and back across Watermillock Common is another favourite with great views down to Ullswater on the return leg.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy