Author Topic: TR Lake District Weekend Coledale Horseshoe Sat 8th June 2013  (Read 5675 times)

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
 So at last the weekend we had been planning since February was finally here and for once it looked like even the weather was going to be kind to us. When planning the walks we were going to do this weekend this one stood out, I've seen it described as a “stupendous ridge walk” and I wasn't disappointed. I also liked the fact that there are options to make the walk longer or shorter depending on how you feel on the day and for my walking buddy Tracey the chance to bag at least five Wainwrights on one day was too good to miss.
 We set off in high spirits from our base at Buttermere YHA to drive to Braithwaite to start the walk. Just driving to the start over the Newlands pass was a pleasure whetting our appetites for the day to come. Although it was only 9.30 the small car parking area just outside Braithwaite on the Whinlatter road was already full, clearly plenty of other walkers had the same idea as us. Fortunately there was still some space at the road side.
 The start of the walk was quite tough, uphill straight from the car without the chance to warm our legs up first. Soon we were climbing steeply up onto the flanks of Grisedale Pike. The climb is split into three steeper sections with flatter ridge walking in between which gave us a chance to get our breath back. It was hot work, so the cooling breeze when we reached the first ridge was very welcome

looking back towards Braithwaite and the climb up Grisedale Pike.

all looking absurdly happy at the summit

Next goal was Hopegill Head

view along the ridge above Hobcarton Crag to Hopegill Head

With clear skies the way onwards was obvious and I was starting to see why this walk is so highly recommended.

looking back to Grisedale Pike from Hopegill Head

We then headed over Sand Hill pausing for lunch and a brew before dropping down to Coledale Hause

looking down to Coledale Hause and up to Crag Hill and Sail our goals for later on.

At Coledale Hause we headed up the path alongside Liza Beck to reach a crossroads of paths on the saddle between Crag Hill and Grasmoor. From here it's decision time, which Wainwright's do you want to visit, which do you save for another day? We opted to leave Wandope and Whiteless Pike but did decide to take in Grasmoor as it would be good to see over to Buttermere and Crummock Water where we were staying.

View into Buttermere from Grasmoor our highest fell of the weekend.

We retraced our steps to the path junction and then headed up on to Crag Hill or Eel Crag as Wainwright refers to it.

Glorious views towards Skidaw,  Keswick and Derwent Water from Crag Hill.

Then came the only slightly tricky section of the walk the narrower ridge along The Scar between Crag Hill and Sail. There's a couple of bits where hands were needed on the rocks but nothing difficult although the path was quite loose in places so concentration was needed.

descending The Scar

At Sail we made the decision to leave Scar Crags and Causey Pike for another time and instead descended below Scar Crags to High Moss. There were good views now to the Force Crag mines and down Coledale.

Afternoon cuppa looking back to Grisedale Pike “were we really up there this morning?”

After our break we headed back up onto Outerside

looking down to Keswick and Derwent Water from Outerside.

We then dropped down to Barrow Door before our final Wainwright of the day, Barrow.

looking back towards Outerside (conical hill centre left) and the higher fells beyond from Barrow.

It was then a steady descent back to Braithwaite and a very welcome pint and grub in the Coledale Inn a great finish to a magnificent day in the hills.
Walk Stats (from Garmin Forerunner track downloaded to Memory Map)
Distance 17.7km (11 miles)
Ascent 1459m (4814ft)
and seven Wainwrights bagged!
Route Map

« Last Edit: 21:08:55, 16/06/13 by Annejacko »
Enjoy every sandwich

Mel

• Veteran Member
Fab trip report and pics there and nowt wrong with looking ridiculously happy on a summit  O0

You say there are options to lengthen/shorten this route? (she asks, stroking chin thoughtfully)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
No pictures for me, where have they gone?

jimmy connell

• Veteran Member
great report and walk great pics to , thanks for sharing jim O0
UTRINQUE PARATUS! READY FOR ANYTHING (PEGASUS)

Strider

• Veteran Member
Looks like the album has been password protected?
Not all those who wander are lost

Mel

• Veteran Member
I can see the pics here in this TR.  I can't see any link to an album.

Strider

• Veteran Member
You say there are options to lengthen/shorten this route? (she asks, stroking chin thoughtfully)

Shorter:
1. Cut out Grasmoor
2. Descend into the valley at Coledale Hause and walk back past the mine and Coledale Beck, cutting out Crag Hill et. al.
3. Alternative to 2. descend from the low point between Sail and Scar Crags southwest to Rigg Beck and walk back along the valley. (edited - misread the map! the dotted line from Sail is not the path)

Longer:

1. Include Causey Pike and Rowling End instead of the lower Outerside.  I'd be inclined to start with these as Causey has a bit of  a scramble near the top.
« Last Edit: 19:31:35, 16/06/13 by Strider »
Not all those who wander are lost

Mel

• Veteran Member
Oooh, thank you Strider  O0 

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
I hate technical hitches I'm trying to fix it, bear with me please !!
Enjoy every sandwich

Glyno

• Veteran Member
Absolutely brilliant report and photos! Another of my most favourite walks  :)

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
Ok Photos should now be fixed so all can view, I hope!
Enjoy every sandwich

Woody

Fab pics and report, thanks for sharing.

jontea

• Veteran Member
Darn and blast, :( you lovely ladies just beat me to a trip report!
I walked this route Saturday 1st June, driving up on the day, and just like yours, with fantastic weather. Although I missed out Grasmoor, and went for Causey Pike, then down to Outerside and Barrow, but no pint for me, I had a long drive home :( .

I would like to say great report and photo's, funny thing is, I think we took our shots from almost the same spots all day, as my set look the same, apart from my ugly mush in a couple ::)  and that start from the car park up the steps is a killer :D especially after a two hour drive.

thanks for taking the time to share, it really is a great ridge walk O0 O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos and report Anne O0   Looks like you had a great day!

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos, worth waiting for!  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy