Author Topic: C2C A1 Diversion at Catterick  (Read 5821 times)

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
Re: C2C A1 Diversion at Catterick
« Reply #15 on: 20:54:27, 19/05/18 »
Makes the Grosmont Hill feel like an elevator O0

Deolman

« Reply #16 on: 14:39:07, 22/05/18 »
Hi johhnyp

Trust your walk went well.  From information I have seen I was given to understand that the route from Nine Standards had been flagged following a fund raising scheme (Raise the Standard) I have just been looking at a video of a chap walking the C2C at the beginning of May 2018 and the route from Nine Standards did'nt seem to be flagged. Could you let me know - is it flagged or are walkers still bog trotting?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 14:50:17, 22/05/18 »
Looking at this guys trip report there seem to be a few flags just last week but mainly still track ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VobS7PjodTw&t=22s
Where there's a will ...

Deolman

« Reply #18 on: 16:20:26, 22/05/18 »
Hi Suussamb

Thats the video I was watching which is why I asked for confirmation as I was pretty certain I read that the flagging had been completed but maybe it is another route they did?? I get easily confused! LOL

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 16:42:59, 22/05/18 »
There is a depression around half a mile south of nine standards where the signpost signals the blue and red routes. It was a wet spot but is now flagged for a few hundred metres. The rest is still au naturelle  It was largely dry however. The odd wet boot cap but that is about it. Driest I have ever seen it in five crossings..

Deolman

« Reply #20 on: 17:02:39, 22/05/18 »
I have been looking again on the web. There is a section that crosses the Cumbria/Yorkshire border that has been flagged.  Video of the work can be watched on Youtube https://youtu.be/moHspL05FYM. According to the North Pennines AONB website 392 metres of flagstones were laid.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 17:45:00, 22/05/18 »
There is a swanky new border stone there too O0
Also you can instagram pics of the Heather regeneration from a fancy little frame there too ;D

Deolman

« Reply #22 on: 17:47:55, 22/05/18 »
I saw a picture of the boundary stone on the video. Just hope it’s a bit drier than the last time I walked it.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 18:12:10, 22/05/18 »
Hi Suussamb

Thats the video I was watching which is why I asked for confirmation as I was pretty certain I read that the flagging had been completed but maybe it is another route they did?? I get easily confused! LOL

Well there are at least three C2C routes across nine standards so confusion is easy  ;)
Where there's a will ...

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 13:27:07, 23/05/18 »
I think the you tube guy didn' film the relevant slabbed bit. There are only two formal routes from the standards..red and blue and the slabs are at the point where they diverge.
I do hope they don' slab any more. Certainly the rest of the red route doesnt seem too badly eroded and because the peat bog elements of the c2c are much smaller than the pw; even the slabs laid look quite intrusive.
Looking at the funding aspects of the project, I think that will be it. Nine standards is certainly not blenkinsopp common

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 14:41:17, 23/05/18 »
There's also a 3rd route I believe, green? It may bypass 9 standards though.
Where there's a will ...

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 15:09:40, 23/05/18 »
There's also a 3rd route I believe, green? It may bypass 9 standards though.

Indeed, that's the wet weather route  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Deolman

« Reply #27 on: 17:06:10, 23/05/18 »
I do hope they don' slab any more. Certainly the rest of the red route doesnt seem too badly eroded and because the peat bog elements of the c2c are much smaller than the pw; even the slabs laid look quite intrusive.
Looking at the funding aspects of the project, I think that will be it. Nine standards is certainly not blenkinsopp common

Paving of moorland areas is always a bit of a contentious issue.  When a popular route becomes well churned up it is natural instinct for walkers to go to the side to avoid the muddy bits and so the damage begins to spread. The C2C route from Nine Standards is an obvious example and at its worst during wet weather it could even be classed as dangerous.  On balance I tend to accept paving of popular routes across open moor as the 'blot on the landscape' tends to be more preferable than the aforementioned alternative. Once the moor begins to regenerate itself the paving tends to become less obvious and, to my mind at least, the improvement to the rest of the moor can outweigh the intrusion of the paving slabs.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 18:53:11, 23/05/18 »
The green route does indeed miss the standards. The fourth route is the road via Nateby to the shooters track along ney Gill if it is really wet! O0
My thought on slabbing was that it doesnt' seem as badly worn as suggested away from the newly slabbed area...nothing like what black Hill looked like pre- slabbed.
Possible overreaction?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 20:03:34, 23/05/18 »

My thought on slabbing was that it doesnt' seem as badly worn as suggested away from the newly slabbed area...nothing like what black Hill looked like pre- slabbed.
Possible overreaction?
Or possibly a penny worth of prevention saving a pounds worth of cure?
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy