Author Topic: 11th November 2019  (Read 1855 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
11th November 2019
« on: 16:35:01, 21/10/19 »
I've decided that I'll climb Great Gable on November 11th, to be on the summit at 11.00am. I did it last year and the weather was bad, high winds, horizontal rain and it was cold as well. So I'll do it again this year and hope that this time the weather is a bit better.

I'll be driving from Portsmouth on the 10th of November and more than likely will camp at Chapel Farm near Rosthwaite, just down the road from the YHA. I plan to return on 12th November, could even be the 13th?

I'll be driving on the M27, A34, M40, M42, on the Toll Road, and on the M6 and will turn off at Windermere or maybe Penrith. If anybody would a lift to The Lakes and return just let me know, my car has 7 seats.

Percy

• Veteran Member
Re: 11th November 2019
« Reply #1 on: 18:00:09, 21/10/19 »
I might have to go away for work around this time but if I don’t I am tempted to join you.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:55:30, 21/10/19 »
I was there last year GWM and it was shocking weather, but worth it for the huge sea of people there.  If you get to the Rheged centre there is a picture in their art galley of the summit on the 11th and I couldn't spot myself but maybe you'll have better luck!

Might join you this year, depends on how my injury is healing as to whether I can bomb up any mountains by then - but if I can I will.

And 7 seats? Are you driving a limo?!

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:49:33, 21/10/19 »
I was there last year GWM and it was shocking weather, but worth it for the huge sea of people there

:o Does not compute!.
I get the idea of collective remembrance and all that, but still...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:58:59, 21/10/19 »
Nah, just a Citroen Picassa, 2008 so now considered a 'dirty diesel'. My car has been great, has never let me down once, great fuel economy, (only a 1600cc engine) ideal for motorway travel and the rear seats fold flat to the size of a double bed. My neighbours love it too, "can you take my old fridge/freezer to the tip," "can you take my garden waste as well,' and 'can you pick up my son from the hospital, he broke his leg you know!'

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:48:10, 21/10/19 »
Will the main service be on Sunday 10th?  I could be interested on this depending on date.
Not all those who wander are lost

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:45:48, 22/10/19 »
:o Does not compute!.
I get the idea of collective remembrance and all that, but still...

I know what you're saying and do agree to an extent.  I think remembrance needs to be thoughtful and individual in nature, it needs to be reflective - but to me I did want to see what it was all about and the 100th year seemed as good as any.  Ended up leaving home around 4am and spent much of the morning talking with various people I hadn't met before who all felt the need to show their respect by turning up - and at the summit ended up arriving as one of the earliest there.  It was immediately obvious a lot of people were going to be getting cold, some didn't seem to have warm drinks, some had no gloves, others had 'kinda' waterproof clothing and little else.  I ended up busting open my spare clothes, giving out a spare set of gloves and spare hat - think I handed out another layer to someone else who looked more senior and not handling the shocking weather especially well. 

What was nice to see was the atmosphere at the top was respectful, many people walked up to the remembrance sign solo and took a few moments to themselves in contemplation before dispersing a little to get out of the wind - and then talked in groups, shared stories of how far they had come and why it was important to them, whether they had relatives involved in the war - or active service members today and wanted to show some solidarity.  I made sure to wish all of them well, collected the gear I handed out and went on my way after the service - bagged a couple of hills afterward solo in quiet contemplation and ended up standing on top of Fleetwith Pike in a freezing cold wind thinking about the morning.  I don't think it is necessarily one or the other.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:33:20, 22/10/19 »
Thanks, Strider I should have checked. According to the Fell & Rock Climbing Club, the WW1 Remembrance service is on Sunday 10th Nov 2019. If it is this means I will travel up on Saturday 9th November 2019.

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:48:09, 22/10/19 »
Thanks, I may come along myself
Not all those who wander are lost

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:39:31, 06/11/19 »
I'm still on course to drive from home, Portsmouth, on Saturday 9th November 2019 to the Keswick area, camp at Chapel Farm and be on the summit of Great Gable at 11.00 am on Remembrance Sunday. If anyone wants a free lift just let me know, I plan to drive home during the day of 11th November 2019.

I'll be going by M27, A34, M40, M42, and M6. If necessary, I could drive from the end of the M40 to the M5 and then go north on the M6.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:39:53, 06/11/19 »
May see you there GWM, though much depends on other things this weekend.  Weather looks ok at the moment for Sunday.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:50:23, 06/11/19 »
If it's raining I'll be the one in the long dark blue waterproof coat plus peaked cap under my hood. If not, I'll be wearing my blue Rab Vitall windproof jacket, possibly wearing my peaked cap, possibly not. I'm crossing my fingers for reasonable weather. If no one wants a lift on Saturday morning I expect I'll just adapt and drive to the Lakes overnight on Friday the 8th. On Saturday night I'll drink beer beer and buy a meal in the local pub near to Chapel Farm. When I ate there last year the food was great.

I will also be using the app Zello to see if 'anyone is out there' on the channel UK BACKPACKING.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:47:45, 08/11/19 »
Not 100% yet so won't be going to this, unfortunately.  Shame as there may even be a dusting of snow on the tops which would be perfect as I do like a frosty Lakes morning.  Have a safe trip in.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:38:41, 09/11/19 »
I wonder why so few walkers recognize that the very paths they walk on are in fact based on a civil document that really is a war memorial. At a time that many may struggle to get to these places of collective memorial, it was the sacrifice that so many made through 2 World Wars that was the political motive behind the 1949 Act of Parliament, that bought about the Rights of Way we walk on, so that the heirs of those generations should enjoy the freedom of the countryside they fought for.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:23:33, 09/11/19 »
All the best for tomorrow's Remembrance Service Gunwharfman, and anyone else who will be there to pay their respects.

I hope the weather is kind to you.

Lest we forget.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy