Author Topic: Rucksack Recommendations Please  (Read 7729 times)

drewesq

Rucksack Recommendations Please
« on: 15:50:01, 06/07/17 »
Hi all!

I did a multi day hike last October from Plymouth to Falmouth along the coast path with my dog, met Ian and Zen along the way...

Anyway, I have a cheapo Karrimor (~£35 I think it was) which had to carry tent, sleeping bag, clothes, food for Bongo and stove/kettle. While the first day was a bit of s log, I toughened up after that and really enjoyed it, we wild camped each night on the cliffs...

I have since upgraded from a single skin tent (which was no good when it rained) and got a new inflatable mattress after I realised mine had a hole in on the first night.

So I am already better off but I also want to upgrade the rucksack as I didn't find it that comfortable and the strap is starting to remove itself from the body.

I think I need 50-60 litres and I'd also like it to be strong and comfortable, possibly with adjustable back? If it could cost less than £100 then that would also be a big bonus!!

Look forward to your replies

Thanks

Andrew :)

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: Rucksack Recommendations Please
« Reply #1 on: 16:13:46, 06/07/17 »
Me and april use the osprey exos 58 rucksack
Cost more than £100 but worth it in my opinion
Very light, very comfortable
I own 2 other osprey rucksacks but they are nowhere near as good as this
Fits in all
My wild camping gear the stretchy pockets on the sides and back are great and there's a removable top pocket, april saves a bit of weight by removing this, I need the extra room for my gadgets
Highly recommend them O0
Beefy
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

drewesq

« Reply #2 on: 16:29:00, 06/07/17 »
Thanks beefy, not too much over the £100, looks like a contender!

:)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:32:02, 06/07/17 »
 O0 O0 O0 O0
Osprey Exos.

Does exactly what is needed. Lightweight, comfortable, good straps. Plenty of room.

Make sure you get the size that fits your back. I am 6'3" and mine fits like a glove as I got the largest one.  Many other makes did not actually fit no matter how adjustable etce. tried too many on to remember makes. Their boast is that they make  " backpacks that fit every shape, size and gender"

Love mine.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:20:05, 06/07/17 »
The important aspect of buying a quality ruck sac, is to buy the very best you can afford, and if there is one particular model that is out of reach budget wise, SAVE FOR IT.
I have noticed that materials used today, are not as good as those back in the 1970 and 80s.

A very old Berghaus Dart 45, i bought donkey's years ago, is still in amazing condition, no tears to the fabric, zips still in fine working order, and even though its very faded, it will last another thirty odd years.

Choosing a larger capacity sac, in the 50-60L range, needs to be done carefully.

Quality will cost good money, but visit the websites of the leading manufacturers, and see what sacs are at the top of their range.

Do not be put off by the inflated prices, because you do not buy a sac every day, and chosen carefully it should last many years.

An expensive purchase at the time, will not seem so bad, in twenty or so years, when its still in fine condition, and giving good service.

Its ever so easy to buy a budget sac, thinking its more than i want to spend anyway, but if your prepared to save a few quid every month, that quality expensive sac, will pay for itself over the years.

Its ever so difficult to recommend a particular sac.

You know the capacity your after, and anyway, you have to try on the various sacs on your want list, to make sure their a good fit.

A sac is not like a pair of boots, that in a few years, will need replacing, its a bit of equipment that can last the owner a considerable number of years, get it right the first time.

If you do see a particular sac, but are put off by the price, save for it, it will be money well spent longterm.
« Last Edit: 17:29:19, 06/07/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:37:44, 06/07/17 »
A very old Berghaus Dart 45, i bought donkey's years ago, is still in amazing condition, no tears to the fabric, zips still in fine working order, and even though its very faded, it will last another thirty odd years.

Is that because like most of your kit it seems it never sees the light of day  ;)
Where there's a will ...

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:03:26, 06/07/17 »
Is that because like most of your kit it seems it never sees the light of day  ;)

I dare say that it did......"many years ago"
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:47:48, 06/07/17 »
I quite agree, ive bought quite a bit of kit over the years, and lots of it has never been used.
Two ruck sacks, at least two waterproofs, and a high end Mountain Equipment Down jacket, that is designed for sub zero high altitude use ( not much call for that here in the UK)
The Mountain Equipment Annapurna duvet, was the perfect addition to the 1991 Kongur jacket, so i bought it, and it zips right into the jacket.

Annoyingly Mountain Equipment had used a particular YKK zip, that was not a direct match with any of their fleece jackets.
About the only item of clothing that would fit this zip, was the Annapurna duvet, and its been used once or twice, on those rare occasions when its way below freezing.

I still have the Kongur jacket, that leaks like anything, but was beautifully made, and still looks a thing of beauty.

There are few of us on this forum, who hands on their heart, cannot say they have not bought items of kit that never sees the light of day.

We all see occasional bargains, that look too good to leave in the shop, and buy them.

When i was more serious about my walking, monthly challenge walks, regular trips away, i bought kit that looked nice.

Some of it got used, and worn till it fell apart, whilst a few of the more exotic purchases, were money down the drain.

My other passion, is cars, but thats another topic for discussion.

We all make mistakes, its part of being human.
« Last Edit: 18:55:38, 06/07/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:53:34, 06/07/17 »
My present rucksack is an Osprey Exos 48L and for me its the best carry I have used to date. I also have a Lightwave 50L which is fine but after a week of hiking I always got red raw shoulders.

My rucksack personal maximum is 50L, I have honed my equipment down and even when fully loaded I still have loads of space. Even if I carried cooking equipment, which I don't I'm sure would still have some space left.

I'm sure there are lots of good bags out there, I made my choice and I'm happy with it.

quixoticgeek

« Reply #9 on: 21:54:48, 06/07/17 »

I love my Exped Lightning 60 backpack. Comfiest pack I've ever used. Brilliant load transfer. Plenty of space. There's a review on my blog (link in sig).

J
--
Http://b.42q.eu/ - Beer, Bikes and Backpacking.

staggerindragon

« Reply #10 on: 02:23:11, 07/07/17 »
Another vote for Osprey Exos.  Light, comfortable and more durable than I ever expected.  I have another Osprey with their adjustable back system, but I never managed to find its sweet spot for distributing weight comfortably.
« Last Edit: 04:12:12, 07/07/17 by staggerindragon »

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:54:57, 07/07/17 »
Osprey Exos, best rucksack I've ever had. Measure your back to make sure you get the right size, I got a small Exos 58 which is actually 55l. Worth every penny  O0
Hate will never win

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:53:45, 07/07/17 »
Osprey Exos 48 for sale on Gumtree @ £35 (Manchester area)

https://www.gumtree.com/p/backpacks/bargain-osprey-exos-48-/1251234432

The back length is not stated but at that price it's got be worth a phone call.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 13:59:15, 07/07/17 »
That looks good value, I paid a lot more for mine!

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:15:55, 07/07/17 »
I'm very impressed with my Lightwave Ultra hike 60, I find it very comfortable to carry and have never suffered chaffing on the shoulders. I guess we're all a slightly different shape. It supports loads up to 20kg well but I prefer to keep them to under 17kg.

Earlier this year I tried a frameless ULA pack with an 11.25kg load for eight days, not a very successful experiment. mainly because I was between sizes so ended up with the hip-belt just below my hips instead of no top of them. But, also because it didn't support the weight well without some sort of stiffener down the back of the pack. A pity because otherwise it was quite a good pack, so it may be worth looking at some of their framed packs.   

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy