Author Topic: Bull attack justice  (Read 15609 times)

angry climber

• Account Closed
Bull attack justice
« on: 20:59:50, 06/08/13 »
Police have charged a man following the death of a walker almost three years ago.
Roger Freeman was killed by a bull while walking at Stanford on Soar, in November 2010.
Nottinghamshire Police yesterday charged Paul Geoffrey Waterfall, of Leake Lane, Stanford on Soar, Leicestershire, with manslaughter by gross negligence.
The 39-year-old was bailed to appear before Nottingham magistrates on Wednesday 21 August 2013.
Mr Freeman was with his wife Glenis on a public footpath through a field, off Leake Lane in Stanford on Soar, about 4.30pm on Friday 12 November 2010 when the bull attacked.
The 63-year-old, from Glen Parva in Leicestershire, died at the scene from multiple injuries.
His wife Glenis, who was aged 67 at the time, was critically injured and spent three weeks in hospital. Police said she is continuing her recuperation at home.
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

treehugger

• Account Closed
Re: Bull attack justice
« Reply #1 on: 21:05:09, 06/08/13 »
????????????????????? What's the crime? I mean what should he have done? Not up on the countryside code myself.

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: 21:08:10, 06/08/13 »
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? What's the crime? I mean what should he have done? Not up on the countryside code myself.

From the code.

Bulls of recognised dairy breeds (eg Ayrshire, Friesian, Holstein, Dairy Shorthorn, Guernsey, Jersey and Kerry) are in all circumstances banned from being at large in fields crossed by public rights of way. Do not keep them in fields with public rights of way, statutory or other types of permitted access.

llandudnoboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:18:27, 07/08/13 »
Unless Mr Freeman was not aware of the Bulls existence when he decided to take a walk with his wife down this recognised path,then I cannot see why the owner was prosecuted.

Over the many years I've gone on a walk and encountered cows,bullocks or even horses, I always turn around and find alternative access around such animals.

They are much larger than us,and in groups of many animals can be very curious,running at great speed towards us.

Large groups of animals can be very unpredictable,and even though a Bull looks quiet and unassuming,they can be extremely dangerous.

If Mr Freeman was aware of the Bulls existence in the field and still continued on his walk,he only had himself to blame.

A Bull is a very large wild animal,able to outrun most of us, and has a right to graze in a field,even if that field is part of a right of way.

Do not assume a large animal will not become startled or aroused when they see a unfamiliar person in their space.

What could the farmer do,lock the Bull away permanently from causing harm to anyone,or allow it to graze naturally on his property.

I think caution should have been given,did Mr Freeman show caution,thinking the Bull will not mind if I walk quickly passed through his field.

Did he see the Bull or not. That is the question.
Should a farmer be held liable if a Bull he owns kills someone.
No he should not be prosecuted.
I always check first hand to see what is in a field,if I am not happy with the situation of a large number of cows, I will not enter the field.
This has been the case quite a few times over the many years,it may spoil my days walk,but 90% of the time an alternative route around the field can be found,maybe Mr Freeman should have done the same.

iiswoz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:36:44, 07/08/13 »
I'm sure his wife, Glenis, is comforted by your stance :-[
Honi soit qui mal y pense

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:44:15, 07/08/13 »

A Bull is a very large wild animal,able to outrun most of us, and has a right to graze in a field,even if that field is part of a right of way.

I think you'll find the law states otherwise.
Another disrespectful, ill-informed opinion. You really can't help yourself, can you?

llandudnoboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:22:26, 07/08/13 »
It's common sense,if you see a large possibly dangerous animal such as a Bull in a field,there is a distinct possibility it may turn aggressive and charge.
On listening to the Welsh news this year,I can remember at least three occasions when the owner of a Bull was either seriously injured or killed,and one of those instances occurred when the Bull was supposedly secure in a holding pen.

I visited this years Royal Welsh Show once again in Builth Wells,and as usual got up close to several different breeds of Bull in their indoor enclosure,even stroking one of the magnificent Welsh Blacks.

They looked docile enough,but only a fool would assume such a creature could not cause incredible damage or death if it got out of control.

However sad and unfortunate it is for Mr Freemans wife at losing a husband,if they were aware of the Bulls presence in that field,why take the risk and assume they were in no danger.

Bulls regularly cause serious injury or death to their owners,their size and unpredictable nature will always be a safety issue.

There's no point in criticising my comment saying What about Mr Freemans Widow,it's a calculated risk walking through a field with large and powerful often unpredictable animals.

A single creature such as a Bull or a herd of Cows,it does not matter,it only takes one person to be in the wrong place when such animals throw their weight around.

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:46:16, 07/08/13 »
It's common sense,if you see a large possibly dangerous animal such as a Bull in a field,there is a distinct possibility it may turn aggressive and charge.

What if you can't see the animal?, fields do have natural undulations or obstructions such as trees, barns etc, that may keep an animal out of sight, until perhaps its too if it should it get aggresive.

Anyway if a law or code has been violated (as in this case) then prosecution should follow.

Llandudnoboy - somebody has died here so with respect try to put that into perspective with what I feel are insensitive comments.
roll on the weekend

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: 15:10:47, 07/08/13 »
Llandudnoboy I can not believe that you have completely lost every ounce of common decency. Some of your statements grossly violate all social conventions. You seem to judge situations without any consideration for any other human being. It is genuinely upsetting to read some of your comments.

llandudnoboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:29:18, 07/08/13 »
I live in the real world,I do not consider my comments are insensitive, people die or are seriously injured every day.
I've lost several friends over the years, one in a car accident the other who took their own life.
It is indeed unfortunate they are no longer with us, but life in general is a risk.
Whether the Bull was concealed in a part of the field that Mr Freeman could not see or that he could see the animal but thought he was in no danger.

I have more sympathy and compassion for that dear little 4 yr old boy who was brutally beaten and tourtured by his parents.

That was indeed very sad and unfortunate,beyond his control.
Mr Freeman on the other hand should have seen the possible risk,but he chose to ignore it,he paid with his own life,unfortunate I know but it was his choice.

treehugger

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: 16:23:05, 07/08/13 »
What if you can't see the animal?, fields do have natural undulations or obstructions such as trees, barns etc, that may keep an animal out of sight, until perhaps its too if it should it get aggresive.

Anyway if a law or code has been violated (as in this case) then prosecution should follow.

Llandudnoboy - somebody has died here so with respect try to put that into perspective with what I feel are insensitive comments.
Presumably somebody thought of the "not being able to see the bull" scenario, hence the law trying to protect people from that?

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:25:20, 07/08/13 »
I live in the real world

Obviously we live on different planets then.
roll on the weekend

johnwills

« Reply #12 on: 17:33:04, 07/08/13 »
To be fair, llandudno boy does have a point.......we're all ultimately responsible for our own safety, but the farmer obviously didn't give two hoots about anyone's.......so is neglible

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:39:46, 07/08/13 »

Whether the Bull was concealed in a part of the field that Mr Freeman could not see or that he could see the animal but thought he was in no danger.

THE BULL SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN IN THE FIELD.

what bit of that do you not understand for God's sake?

johnwills

« Reply #14 on: 17:45:15, 07/08/13 »
You asking me glyno? ???

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy