Author Topic: Bull attack justice  (Read 15610 times)

Horsey

Re: Bull attack justice
« Reply #45 on: 21:49:01, 23/05/14 »
Since I now walk with a dog, cattle take a greater interest in me. Last week some chose to charge, I charged right back. They clearly didn't realise how easily they would have won that battle, my bluff worked  O0
Brave man :o Don't like cows one bit myself. I find them very unpredictable and as a precaution avoid walking through land containing them even if it means taking a long detour

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 22:58:13, 25/05/14 »
 Some good advice from a vet on Countryfile.After the program I walked home from the house I had visited and had to walk through a field of cows.I noticed two that had their ears pointing foward and made sure I kept well away from them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b045gq6m/countryfile-shropshire

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 23:21:05, 25/05/14 »
used the same path again today, 20 bullocks in a small field, they were occupying the gated exit.
Put the dog on a leash  and marched through them, no problem they were focussed on chasing the other guy with his dog...  ::)

Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 07:42:02, 26/05/14 »
used the same path again today, 20 bullocks in a small field, they were occupying the gated exit.
Put the dog on a leash  and marched through them, no problem they were focussed on chasing the other guy with his dog...  ::)

Ah that explains why faced with similar situation about 1 year ago I had real problems… never thought of using a decoy.

The Old Man of the North

« Reply #49 on: 16:46:54, 15/09/14 »
Llandudnoboy - a bull, or any other livestock, is not a wild animal - it is the property of the owner, farmer etc.  It is clear that dairy breed bulls should not be located on rights of way.  If the bull that killed the poor man and almost killed his wife was a dairy breed then clearly the farmer/land owner was in breech of the law.  If you place something in the way of the public you should have due care as to the consequences.  The bull didn't get there on its own - they have some trouble with the gate latches.
There was an Old Man of the North who fell in a basin of broth but a laudable cook fished him out with a hook which saved that Old Man of the North

The Old Man of the North

« Reply #50 on: 16:59:36, 15/09/14 »
I would add, however, that where there are cows (and I mean cows-girly cattle) and calves present or where there is a bull with it's harem there is the potential of aggression from the beasts.  This will become a likelihood of aggression if you have a dog with you.  In these circumstances it is wise to give them the widest possible berth or if you come upon them without warning, a retreat is advised - find another way.
I have walked through herds of dairy cows since childhood (which was quite a long time ago now) without any bother and the only time I've felt any concern with bullocks (remember they're the ones with a couple of bits missing) is when a group galloped happily down hill to investigate (without any real hope of stopping in time !).  I have had a bull rise up from rest and begin an angry-looking walk towards me before but a strategic retreat resulted in his satisfaction that he'd made his point.
I DID see a couple with a dog walk straight through a herd of cows with calves resulting in very agitated and aggressive responses from the cows.  I was on the point of driving my car (parked up for a cuppa) quickly down to rescue them when they finally twigged and retreated.  All was well.
Another time I came across a bull among cows right beside a public footpath, obscured until the last moment by a barn wall.  The cows were curious, the bull barely managed to open one eye - and then promptly shut it again.

So we all need to try and read the situation before we're in the middle of it and caution is the better part of valour.  Equally it would be nice if farmers all considered the potential for trouble as well
There was an Old Man of the North who fell in a basin of broth but a laudable cook fished him out with a hook which saved that Old Man of the North

Stube

« Reply #51 on: 15:16:54, 16/09/14 »
This summer when I walked the PW in June, I must have come across twenty instances of  bulls with cows ON the PW between Middleton and Bellingham plus a couple more around Malham. In most cases there were no alternative routes unless you count a detour of several miles an alternative! In all cases I just walked steadily past them with no trouble at all - perhaps I was just lucky!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 16:39:38, 16/09/14 »
A bull with cows is unlikely to cause a problem, and a bull generally has a calming influence on the cows with it.

It's a bull on its own that can be more of an issue, or cows with calves.  Rules o bulls say:

Under the Act (Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981), an occupier of a field crossed by a right of way may not allow a bull to be at large. Exceptions are granted for bulls under the age of ten months and for bulls of breeds not recognised as dairy breeds which are kept with cows or heifers.
Where there's a will ...

tyreon

« Reply #53 on: 09:53:03, 17/10/14 »
I watched and read what I could about this attack. I didn't attend the trial of the farmer. Wow! Congratulations for getting that defence barrister. My verdict would have bin different from the jurys. Dya hear what the two electrical contractors were reported to have said? Their comment that the farmer told em the bull in the field keeps walkers on their toes!! Gotta hire that guy. As an aside,I read that months were taken up by the defence team of Rebekah Brooks in vetting the jury...getting the correct 'fix' as it were. After excluding anyone with any knowledge of the case(maybe of a suitable IQ!)the defendant found Not Guilty. Clever arguments. With ££ and a good legal team...you do no wrong...Ever. Reading Hacked Off. Private Eye reports RB was tryin to claim back millions from the CPS for her expenses after being found NG. Now quoshed. Wonder if the farmer can bring some lawsuit against CPS or walker for the distress that walker caused him,his family or the bull. It may be a goer!! Take the £££ from the walkers life insurance/his pension or widow or sumthink

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 11:20:55, 17/10/14 »
I watched and read what I could about this attack. I didn't attend the trial of the farmer. Wow! Congratulations for getting that defence barrister. My verdict would have bin different from the jurys. Dya hear what the two electrical contractors were reported to have said? Their comment that the farmer told em the bull in the field keeps walkers on their toes!! Gotta hire that guy. As an aside,I read that months were taken up by the defence team of Rebekah Brooks in vetting the jury...getting the correct 'fix' as it were. After excluding anyone with any knowledge of the case(maybe of a suitable IQ!)the defendant found Not Guilty. Clever arguments. With ££ and a good legal team...you do no wrong...Ever. Reading Hacked Off. Private Eye reports RB was tryin to claim back millions from the CPS for her expenses after being found NG. Now quoshed. Wonder if the farmer can bring some lawsuit against CPS or walker for the distress that walker caused him,his family or the bull. It may be a goer!! Take the £££ from the walkers life insurance/his pension or widow or sumthink

Have to agree. We only need look at Oscar Pistorious' trial. He shoots 4 times through a bathroom door but 'couldn't reasonably have expected to kill'??? I can say if I shot through a door believing someone was on the other side I'd hope and expect to kill them. (To shoot a gun you MUST be in fear for your, or someone else's life). His story he thought it was someone else makes no difference.

Hmm don't suppose his has anything to do with bulls?  :-[
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

skyetbc1997

« Reply #55 on: 09:17:46, 22/02/15 »
Hubby, Meg and I were walking the Offa's Dyke Path in 2012.  We came across a field of 'cows' and didn't realise there was a Bull in there with them until hubby was right in the middle of them with it snorting nose to nose with Meg.  It was the most terrifying experience of my life!!  There were no signs on the entrance to the field and we could not see that there was a bull amongst them as he was hidden in the middle of them.

When I contacted the local authorities on our return, I told the story and asked if there was some legal obligation that farmers need to adhere to.  They told me that there were no legal  requirements at the time but that farmers are advised to put signs up    (   :-\ ???  )  and that they would have a word with the farmer.   I was STUNNED by this reply as I always thought there WAS a law?
HOME IS WHERE THE TENT IS!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 12:45:19, 22/02/15 »
Signage warning of a bull in a field IS a legal requirement.
Where there's a will ...

skyetbc1997

« Reply #57 on: 14:34:28, 22/02/15 »
That's what I thought.   Glad you confirmed that for me

HOME IS WHERE THE TENT IS!

tyreon

« Reply #58 on: 17:02:51, 22/02/15 »
Back for more commentary!

Older and slower now. And with aches and pains. At the end of a day's walking I would not have the energy or pace to outsmart any quick footed bull misplaced in a field. A walk around such field/bull might entail another 3 miles on foot...at the end of a day! In rain!

I feel sure most farmers are responsible and decent people. Some aren't tho. Some are just nasty in nature.

An oblique comment on the nature of justice and our judicial system. IT AINT ALL FAIR PLAY!

In Italy because of malpractice and arcane and improper policing people sought to remedy wrongs done by speedier resolutions. When they were wronged and saw no one being held to account for such lawbreaking they sought resolution through quicker,'equitable'(?) channels. That is,they sought the help of the Ndregehtta.It isn't something I would recommend. But I can see the logic. If you're not going to get resolution through the law courts,the man in Naples seeks it through other channels. Thus although the Mafia is badmouthed by press and government,sometimes it may be the only way the small man can get quick resolution and some form of justice for himself and his family.

Most of the time the law here better protects those with £££ and power. The lower down the food chain the more expendable and worst council you get

robertgreene1974

« Reply #59 on: 18:13:47, 22/02/15 »
Didn't know that. Interesting, been in a lot of fields where that is not the case, and no warning is displayed

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy