Author Topic: It doesn't only happen in the Lakes....  (Read 3274 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
It doesn't only happen in the Lakes....
« on: 19:36:05, 04/03/15 »
"A man was rescued by two walkers after clinging to a trig pillar on a Peak District in high winds for an hour.
The walker called for help when he became hypothermic on the summit of Mam Tor as the hill was swept by sleet and gales this morning."

Full article here

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: It doesn't only happen in the Lakes....
« Reply #1 on: 21:03:16, 04/03/15 »
So I guess the weather got bad just as he hit the trig point so he could cling on to it  ::)

Perhaps next time he'll turn around sooner   ;)
Where there's a will ...

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:53:38, 04/03/15 »
When I first read this I thought "how can this be??? Parked at Mam Nick??? He's not even 10 mins from the car and only 100 yards or so to get out of the wind!! - what a nooooob (as my daughter would say..)

But then I thought; to a newbie, with inappropriate gear (cos he's a newbie) it was probably a terrifying experience (Its a BIG drop of the land slipped side of MT) Probably "disoriented" (emotionally rather than spatially) by being well out of his depth literally metres from the car, poor bu99er! It's so easy to be judgmental, shame on me!  BUT. If he wasn't a newbie - what a Nooooob!!! ;D

But otherwise - If he IS a newbie I hope he learns from it and turns out better prepared next time. Don't forget; we've all had daft [censored]-ups on the hills... That's what they're there for.  O0

The Grumpy Dad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:03:17, 04/03/15 »
Regardless of the circumstances, at least he's ok. If you think you're going down I can well imagine the fear. :0/

But after taking my missus there last year and just telling her of this, she now feels 'well hard'. Despite not having so much as walked the dogs since October due to been 'too cold'.
I`am in an ambitious mood.Don`t bother me with reality.

Expect nothing and you can`t be dissapointed.

On Twitter @grumpybutcute

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:22:47, 05/03/15 »
I'm obviously out with the lingo. I thought 'nooob' was synonymous with 'newbie'. Do I take it that it now has a different connotation?
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:43:01, 05/03/15 »
It might be me thats out, but my understanding is that it DOES mean newbie but in a derogatory manner. And so it can also be applied to someone who ISN'T new but displays the behaviours of a newbie. As in: "Dur! what a noob!"
Probably. I'll check with my kids.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:54:44, 05/03/15 »
Follow up:
Apparently, someone who is new is a "Newb".
Someone who does something silly that a Newb would do but ISN'T new is a "Noob".

I'm glad I'm not young. I can hardly follow this stuff....

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:05:14, 05/03/15 »
You will be saying its sick next  ;D
My son said it one day and i said you what, it means its cool  :-\
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:53:02, 05/03/15 »
I know! Well rad! :D

Innit! :o

waldershelf

« Reply #9 on: 13:43:35, 05/03/15 »
I was up there a couple of weeks ago, It started snowing when we were at the top. I can imagine someone who isn't used to the conditions would very quickly start to panic. It must be said though conditions weren't that bad yesterday to get hyperthermia the guy must have been in shirtsleeves.

ron6632

« Reply #11 on: 19:34:04, 06/03/15 »
Tried to go up Tinto today going up round the back rather than using the tourist route.  Got half way up and just had to give up because the wind was insane.  God knows what it was like on top - it must have been horrific!  Eventually just contoured round the lower slopes to the North back to the car park.  Discretion is always the better part of valour.

It is one of the windiest places in Scotland, though :D

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:55:31, 06/03/15 »
Mam Tor, all I remember about that place is I was on a two week Groupwork residential course and the sheep took the sandwiches from my hand! During the fortnight Three Mile Island nuclear power station nearly blew! The USA members on the course were in a high state of panic! I do remember bad weather however, a few years ago a friend and I CRAWLED on our hands and knees to get to the top of Skiddaw, the wind surge was amazing! It was the same year my wife and I hired skies (our very first time) from George Fishers, (the old shop and the best one!) we drove up in our motor caravan on the narrow road and parked at the end. I dragged myself up a sloping field, put skies on, set off and was suddenly aware of dozens of sheep charging towards me, thought I was the shepherd no doubt! I stopped, they stopped! I moved, they moved! Surreal! On last attempt of the day, ended up in a ditch, bruised and battered.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy