Author Topic: Stealing an inch off Scafell Pike  (Read 4337 times)

MarkA

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Stealing an inch off Scafell Pike
« Reply #1 on: 21:21:13, 26/03/15 »
No he hasn't. An artist has got himself a huge amount of publicity by taking a small stone from a cairn. And he is obviously lying as, before he cut it, there is no way that the stone would stand the way he is holding it in the picture.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:32:23, 27/03/15 »
fantastic news, I have never got right to the top of the pike, that last inch has always been just to much. I'm of up there straight away before they make him put it back ;D

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:38:39, 27/03/15 »
fantastic news, I have never got right to the top of the pike, that last inch has always been just to much. I'm of up there straight away before they make him put it back ;D

;D
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

MarkA

« Reply #4 on: 09:35:26, 27/03/15 »
As men, we all know that that inch distinguishes an average hiker from an above average hiker.  ;)
╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮

Iggy63

« Reply #5 on: 16:01:06, 27/03/15 »
Oscar Santillan pinched the top inch of the  3,209ft summit of Scafell Pike, in the Lake District, and is now displaying it  at a London gallery.
Shouldn't that be 'the 3208ft 11in summit of Scafell Pike'???
Besides, I'd wager far more folk add stones to the cairn than remove them.

oodboo

« Reply #6 on: 16:37:57, 27/03/15 »
Would you say Oscar Santillan is an obnoxious grockle for doing this?

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:01:20, 27/03/15 »
So was it from the rock or from the cairn? If the latter then brilliant - more people need to remove stones from modern cairns!
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:11:09, 27/03/15 »
That's a fairly big cairn up there - it's gonna take some shifting. I wonder if the official height includes the height of the cairn?
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:14:22, 29/03/15 »
Well in these times of austerity I'm gonna go to the exhibition.....

... .and bag Scafell Pike at the same time....

.... save a fortune on petrol  :D

Summit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:58:44, 29/03/15 »
Well in these times of austerity I'm gonna go to the exhibition.....

... .and bag Scafell Pike at the same time....

.... save a fortune on petrol  :D

Geography was never my strongest point but I would have thought Hull to Wasdale would have been about the same 200 odd miles that Hull to London will be. Can't really see the saving there. ;D

BURN FAT NOT OIL

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 23:54:50, 29/03/15 »
I'm not very literate, could someone explain to me what
"is a small suggestive gesture that reflects on the way in which humans have imposed their cultural categories over nature"
means?  ???

Oh, and at the same time, what does a stone have to do with it?

Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 05:49:55, 30/03/15 »
The only thing its suggestive of, is a load of old cobblers  O0
Not all those who wander are lost

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 09:25:52, 30/03/15 »
I'm not very literate, could someone explain to me what
"is a small suggestive gesture that reflects on the way in which humans have imposed their cultural categories over nature"
means?  ???

Oh, and at the same time, what does a stone have to do with it?
OK here goes. First we have to believe that this stone IS the top of Scafell Pike.

Is this stone any more or less important than any other stone in the natural world? No.
So why are people getting worked up about him taking it and putting it in a gallery? Because it happened to be the highest stone on a tiny bit of the globe that man had drawn a line round, in this case England. It is/was not even the highest stone on this island by a long way.

You could argue that the top of Everest is 'naturally' important but almost anything else is a man made organisation of the world defined by human geography. Scafell Pike is the absolute epitome of this as, to all intents and purposes, England has not been a separate country for hundreds of years yet we still make Scafell Pike in some way significant.

You may not agree with what the artist has done or think that what he has done is art but he has absolutely proved his point. If he had put the top of Scafell in a gallery there would have been nothing, if it had been the top of Catsty Cam less than nothing. If it had been Whernside an outcry from Yorkshire. We have imposed our culture on nature by arbitrarily deciding that one thing is more significant than another when as far as nature is concerned that is not the case.

Just to warn you Peter I can talk this arty rowlocks all day!

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:16:34, 30/03/15 »
OK here goes. First we have to believe that this stone IS the top of Scafell Pike.

Is this stone any more or less important than any other stone in the natural world? No.
So why are people getting worked up about him taking it and putting it in a gallery? Because it happened to be the highest stone on a tiny bit of the globe that man had drawn a line round, in this case England. It is/was not even the highest stone on this island by a long way.

You could argue that the top of Everest is 'naturally' important but almost anything else is a man made organisation of the world defined by human geography. Scafell Pike is the absolute epitome of this as, to all intents and purposes, England has not been a separate country for hundreds of years yet we still make Scafell Pike in some way significant.

You may not agree with what the artist has done or think that what he has done is art but he has absolutely proved his point. If he had put the top of Scafell in a gallery there would have been nothing, if it had been the top of Catsty Cam less than nothing. If it had been Whernside an outcry from Yorkshire. We have imposed our culture on nature by arbitrarily deciding that one thing is more significant than another when as far as nature is concerned that is not the case.

Just to warn you Peter I can talk this arty rowlocks all day!

eh?  :-\

PS. Technically the 'top' of Whernside is in Cumbria..  :P
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy