Author Topic: Doug Scott's - CAN - Everest Ice Wall Challenge (Community Action Nepal)  (Read 964 times)

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
If anyone is interested Berghaus are supporting a charity event at the KESWICK (King Kong) Ice Wall to raise funds for Nepal.
The details can be found by following the link below, Googling for yourself or check-out Berghaus's own web site. Doug has worked tirelessly for years in raising funds/awareness for Nepal but this is more urgent following the recent quakes.
On Friday/Saturday 12th & 13th June there is an attempt that requires 240 people to climb the wall to a combined height equivalent to Everest. Each person has 1/2 hour to achieve their personal target height. With just 24 hours for the full height to be reached.
Donations/sponsors/climbers are all welcome. The final pitch is due to be climbed by Doug Scott and Chris Bonnington, who are both promoting & supporting this event.
The event coincides with the 40th anniversary of the Bonnington expedition (1975) that saw the Everest South West Face conquered by a British team. Dougal Haston & Doug Scott reaching the summit late and having to bivvy for the night just below the summit - in the death zone.
Just aiming to make people aware of this very worthy cause which aims to raise over £88,000 to support many causes in Nepal.

If anyone fancies attempting the climbing themselves the link allows you to register for a place and they say all levels of experience are welcome. I have a  slot booked myself and will be glad to do something more than just dropping a few bob into a tin, especially after seeing all the recent reports coming out from Nepal and wishing I was able to do something.
Personal gear isn't necessary as Berghaus provide all equipment needed which will be raffled off after the event. So if anyone is feeling energetic you know what to do, otherwise you can simply make a donation.

I don't expect my bit will put me in the death zone so I'll report back afterwards to let you know if I managed to get off the floor.

EDIT :   http://climbforcan.org
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Don't know if anyone watched the documentary " The Day Everest Shook " recently: it was very shocking and shows conditions worse than the TV news portrayed. 3 million people were made homeless. That is about 10% of the population.
The only saving grace is that had it happened during the night/early dawn it could have been far worse, as people would have been indoors.
You may wonder why I'm harping on about this. The country is very poor and the people are predominantly mountain/hill folk. They are a peaceful nation and as we wish to live a similar life (love of the outdoors etc) I feel we have a kinship to them.
Because of their natural reticence they can be easily overlooked - other disasters/worthy causes have a bigger public profile, which the Nepalese don't have.
I am sure a lot of you have already donated and others will do in the future so this post is simply to keep an awareness of their plight. Let's not overlook them in our busy/distracted lives.
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

April

• Veteran Member
Thanks for posting this IM. The wishing well around the corner from Booths on Main Street in Kewick is (or was) donating the money to this cause too. I am sure more than £88,000 will be raised to help the Nepalese people. Good luck on your climb  :)  We will be in Keswick very briefly at 9.15 on Saturday should you want to avoidaprilandbeefy.
Hate will never win

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Thanks April.  O0
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy