Author Topic: exploring the peaks on 2 wheels  (Read 416 times)

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
exploring the peaks on 2 wheels
« on: 16:14:21, 31/07/11 »
Very loosely associated to walking I know, but as part of my 5 day visit to the peaks, I took advantage of the Peaks trails and hired out some mountain bikes - can say it was throughly enjoyed by myself and the two young 'uns. Anybody thinking about mixing up some walking with some cycling I can thoroughly recommend giving it a bash - the cycle hire facility is well set up. Just google up 'pedal peak district' or similar to find out more.....  O0
roll on the weekend

alec1

Re: exploring the peaks on 2 wheels
« Reply #1 on: 21:06:08, 01/08/11 »
It is interesting isnt it, as a walker sharing the tracks of forest parks with mountain bikers you can be annoyed at times.. They are loud and whizzing around... however I have done both...

I loved mountain biking, if I could get over the fear factor of crashing I would get really in to it.  I think I am a freak for speed recently oops
Hi feel free to check out my blog @

www.likehiking.com [nofollow]

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 00:31:43, 02/08/11 »
Good idea if your limited for time and want to explore a vast distance. Mountain bikes can be quite annoying at times and destructive to some kinds of paths. However I don't really object to them. If that is your hobby, where else is there to practice? Not for me though. I preferred cycling the country lanes days gone by, and never really took to tracks.
R.I.P. Dave.

robstubbs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:14:37, 02/08/11 »
We didn't take bikes on our recent peaks holiday - mainly because my wife can't cycle at the moment - otherwise we would have.  When we went to the Isle of Wight last year we mixed walking and cycling and it was a great combination, allowing us to cover a greater area on bike, whilst seeing the detail etc on foot.  We mainly stick to roads but some routes included bridleways.

Rob.

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:39:04, 02/08/11 »
...When we went to the Isle of Wight last year we mixed walking and cycling and it was a great combination, allowing us to cover a greater area on bike, whilst seeing the detail etc on foot.

For my two young lads, walking isn't the attraction that cycling is, so for me it was a better bet to do something they particularly enjoy to keep all smiling, and as it happens was loads of fun.  O0 Agree with you in that you miss some of the detail as you whizz along, but I did have a slight hankering to get off occasionally and take a few pics of the often great scenery.
roll on the weekend

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy