Author Topic: Even a 10 yr old beat me round  (Read 422 times)

angry climber

• Account Closed
Even a 10 yr old beat me round
« on: 01:57:43, 31/08/11 »
A 10-year-old schoolboy walked into the record books with his ascent of a Hebridean mountain.
Ben Fleetwood became the youngest person to summit all 283 Scottish munros when he stood at the top of Ben More on Mull yesterday. He accomplished his feat about 12.30pm, with a group of 12 friends and family, including his father John, who has been with him on all his munro ascents, and mum Alison, who has accompanied him on a few of his walks up the 3,000-footers. The weather on the 966m (3,169ft) ben failed to live up to the occasion. John said it was windy and cold with poor visibility. “We couldn’t see a thing,” he added. The Ben More ascent was the final chapter in a story that began with the Kendal boy’s first munro summit: Beinn na Lap, at the age of six. He was already a record breaker, having gained the status of youngest completer of a round of the Wainwrights in the Lake District – since achieved by an even younger walker. His father said: “I think we are both pleased to have finished. We’ve done a lot: 77 this year, all in school holidays.” Ben marked his final ascent by carrying something extra to the summit. “We had taken a stone from the sea and we put that on the summit cairn, then we took one from the cairn and brought it back down and put it in the sea,” John explained. Although the Mull trip marks the end of Ben’s quest to climb all 283 munros, he still has a thirst for adventure. His dad said: “We have definitely no more plans for bagging, but Ben does want to do more mountains. We’d like to do more in the Alps and more winter routes. “And he is going on a canoeing expedition next week in the Lake District.” Ben’s munro completion beats the previous record of Lynn Batty, who was 11 when she finished her round in 1995.
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

louise_a

Re: Even a 10 yr old beat me round
« Reply #1 on: 18:16:02, 01/09/11 »
I thought at first that Ben Fleetwood was the mountain he had just climbed  :-\

angry climber

• Account Closed
Re: Even a 10 yr old beat me round
« Reply #2 on: 01:54:50, 02/09/11 »
I thought at first that Ben Fleetwood was the mountain he had just climbed  :-\

lol its just north of Blackpool  ;D
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy