Author Topic: Evening walk Photos  (Read 6947 times)

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
Re: Evening walk Photos
« Reply #15 on: 11:14:24, 30/06/17 »
Image may contain: cloud, sky and outdoor

This photo was taken on an early Edinburgh morning golden hour when the shadows were still long.

Last year I got chance to visit the Natural History and Science museums in London something  had wanted to for decades. I found the experience very dissapointing, the crowds, the tired exhibitions not dusted for years.

Probably the worst thing was being directed round a series of brightly colored display placards each with distincly average photo(s) and supporting text, add a couple of interactive computer screens and they call it an exhibition.......Very cheap and unsatisfactory.

I was glad to get out of the place.....

Anyhow, with great trepidation I agreed to go round the Scottish Museum in Edinburgh, I was amazed, its housed in a sensational building with fresh, modern,.....clean.........AND............ genuine exhibits.

The day flew past and all to soon the tannoy was calling time and kicking us out.

DK

« Reply #16 on: 13:25:18, 30/06/17 »
Cracking pic!
We weren't born to just pay bills and die...

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 14:55:42, 30/06/17 »

You cannot keep all of the people happy all the time!!!!!!!

The one thing that frustrates me about folks who post photos on here is that many look so samey they post a walk report with up to 20 distant pure landscapes.

No people shots, no wildlife, no close ups, scrolling though 20 average landscapes when one good snap would tell the story at a glance.

whatever  ::) ::) ::)

I'm probably not the only person but I'd far rather see 20 "average" landscape photos than 1 obvious photoshopped (or stolen) photo.

I'd far rather see someone's photo taken in misty conditions at the top of the hill than enhanced photos because that's not the way the eye sees them. I want to see photos from peoples walks even if it's not up to your standards, I'm sorry that we're not worthy.

It's a walking forum anyway...not a photography (look everyone at my photos and praise me) forum  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:10:25, 30/06/17 »
Cracking pic!

Thanks DK I also I was pleased with the set of pics, think the Black and white versions might just be keepers.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:17:45, 30/06/17 »
It's a walking forum anyway...not a photography (look everyone at my photos and praise me) forum  O0

Brian, Thankyou for your err...oh so polite reply I always look forward to your feedback, we are all entitled to an opinion.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 19:43:03, 30/06/17 »
true but I don't criticise forum members for posting photos that aren't up to your "standards"

People should feel free to post whatever photos they want on here that they may have seen on a walk, whether you approve or not.

Like I said, it's a walking forum, not a photography forum  ::)
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Liz S

« Reply #21 on: 19:51:41, 30/06/17 »
 I dont like photoshopped photos myself, its Cartlon Hill and I think it would look nicer correctly portrayed, but thats me. Some people like these cartooney photos.Each to their own.

DK

« Reply #22 on: 20:40:17, 30/06/17 »
Thanks DK I also I was pleased with the set of pics, think the Black and white versions might just be keepers.

Monochrome are best for that type of shot I reckon,more atmoshphere. Ignore the whingers, it's each to their own as always...
We weren't born to just pay bills and die...

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 10:04:26, 10/07/17 »
Image may contain: one or more people, sky, outdoor, water and nature

'Soaking up the ambiance'

Had a recent walking/climbing trip to Italy,  this night we drove past Firenze, so we called in and had just enougth time for an evening walk. I alway find watching the sun go down very emotional BUT in this setting the elation went off the scale.

The Ponte Vecchio is normally the prefered subject for photographers, so instead we went for a walk along it.

Hundreds of Smart Phoners were out taking the obvious shots when I spotted a couple of youngsters below us, they had jumped the Balustrade onto a quiet and exposed position on one of the ancient bridge support pillars.

It looked interesting, they would make a superb subject against this backdrop so I followed them, had a word then took a few snaps.

This best shot of this set is a real keeper BUT this one is ok for 'on ere' cos I missed the fingers on the lads hand and as the the light was poor I opened the aperture so the background is a bit fuzzy.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 10:55:53, 10/07/17 »
I like the posterized effect of the Edinburgh shot. It gives it the effect of the 1930's BR travel posters and brings out the moody tones of the imminent weather change.

Not that I would like a whole string of pictures done in this way, unlike Bricam, TR's with a whole string of bland landscapes fail to excite me, even if they are in the most exciting of places. A few moments tweaking the levels or adjusting the colour value curves would have put a bit more contrast into these pictures. so what is a photoshopped image? A badly manipulated photo or edited image in the wrong place does stand out.

If Photobucket were not trying to shake me down for £310 I might have posted an evening river scene taken from a little country bridge a few moments after a kingfisher had flown past. I was not quick enough to have caught that picture ( to have taken it I would have had to setup in advance) but as Bricam so rightly says, 'This is a walking forum'.

The image I put on this forum had a kingfisher flying downstream as I saw it but I was able to find a free image of a KF, at the right angle, online  and set into my photo, Photoshopped?? no I use GIMP. Had I put this photo in the best pics of the day without declaring, then I would earn the sort of criticism being levelled at MWM.

If this sort of use of images fits the narrative then it make the experience on this forum more interesting, airbrushing the stretch marks of the belly of some celebrity is more the professional use of photoshop.

Not that I think MWM needs me to jump to his defence, But there are more timid posters here who might be put off from experimenting and showing us the pleasures they get out of walking through their camera lens' by generalizations, which need a little deeper understanding.
« Last Edit: 10:59:00, 10/07/17 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 13:57:20, 10/07/17 »
Ignore the whingers, it's each to their own as always...

Thanks for the support DK, Brian is a serial knocker, I can't do anything right, even when I posted on the MEET UP board that I had a spare place on a Skye trip,  he found something negative to say about it.

hardly a "meet up" when only 1 person can come

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 14:04:54, 10/07/17 »
Thanks BWW,

I certainly believe that malicious comments like Brians put potential new posters off, maybe that is one of the reasons the site is losing popularity.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 14:41:48, 10/07/17 »
I like the posterized effect of the Edinburgh shot. It gives it the effect of the 1930's BR travel posters and brings out the moody tones of the imminent weather change.

BWW

I got a second place in a comp with 1930's style posters earlier this year, I had to produce a PANEL of three photos.

The photos have to be related by theme this can be color, texture, pattern etc so mine  were based on 1930's LNER posters.

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

Image may contain: outdoor and text

Image may contain: sky, tree, outdoor, nature and water

All photos were taken on walks!!!!!!!!!!!

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 15:20:30, 10/07/17 »
Thanks for showing them, a very interesting interpretation. Prior to my retirement I made decor for pubs and hotels, lot repro. stuff over the years but we never really got into the subtle spoof stuff as much I would have like. Put the odd one such as the St.Pauls image in with a set of actual repro's from the time would have been great. I always worked on the idea that decor was part of entertainment.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 20:45:40, 10/07/17 »
I certainly believe that malicious comments like Brians put potential new posters off, maybe that is one of the reasons the site is losing popularity.

No.  It's patronising and condescending comments like this .....

The one thing that frustrates me about folks who post photos on here is that many look so samey they post a walk report with up to 20 distant pure landscapes.

However, give a man enough rope, as they say ....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy