Author Topic: Nikwax Tech Wash and TX Direct Wash In  (Read 4733 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Nikwax Tech Wash and TX Direct Wash In
« Reply #15 on: 12:05:11, 12/03/20 »
That was useful info, Bhod, thanks.

I've just read the wash care label on my coat, Gore-Tex and Thinsulate to remind you, and it says,
"Machine wash using Grangers 2 in 1 cleaner and proofer."
Does anyone have any comments on that?

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 13:38:58, 12/03/20 »
I've just read the wash care label on my coat, Gore-Tex and Thinsulate to remind you, and it says,
"Machine wash using Grangers 2 in 1 cleaner and proofer."
Does anyone have any comments on that?

After a quick read of the Grangers Wash & Repel Clothing 2 in 1 cleaner and proofer instructions the only difference as far as I can see is that the Grangers requires heat activation to make it work where the Nikwax stuff doesn't.

https://grangers.co.uk/products/clothing-wash-repel

Unless there's a major financial difference if it was my choice I'd use the Nikwax Tech Wash and TX Direct Wash In as it's tried and tested on a multitude of manufacturers outdoor clothing and doesn't require the extra faffing about heat treating using a tumble dryer, iron or hair dryer to make it work. The other advantage of the Nikwax stuff is that because they are two separate products you can wash when dirty or wash and reproof when the DWR wears off and needs replenishing.
« Last Edit: 14:01:18, 12/03/20 by kinkyboots »

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 09:54:23, 27/03/20 »
That Nikwax stuff always disappoints me. It looks great just after the treatment, raindrops nicely beading off again. However, it doesn't last more than a few hours.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Ronin83

« Reply #18 on: 11:13:19, 27/03/20 »
I think it's a bit bad that you pay loads of money for these things and then have to faff around with more expensive products to make it do what it's supposed to.

I mean I understand that the technology is what it is, they can't use magic, and they need to create the impossible.... Waterproof AND breathable, but I really just want things that are low maintenance and just work.

I've already got to clean and wax/polish my boots, find insoles that work (the ones which come with boots suck) and wash my sport clothes separately. Do I really want more faff with coats and stuff?

I'd say it's a testament to the gear if it lasts with abuse and a lack of care and that should be part of how it's judged in reviews/tests, ie how does said garment hold up WITHOUT constant tlc.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 11:36:35, 27/03/20 »
I think it's a bit bad that you pay loads of money for these things and then have to faff around with more expensive products to make it do what it's supposed to.

I mean I understand that the technology is what it is, they can't use magic, and they need to create the impossible.... Waterproof AND breathable, but I really just want things that are low maintenance and just work.

I've already got to clean and wax/polish my boots, find insoles that work (the ones which come with boots suck) and wash my sport clothes separately. Do I really want more faff with coats and stuff?

I'd say it's a testament to the gear if it lasts with abuse and a lack of care and that should be part of how it's judged in reviews/tests, ie how does said garment hold up WITHOUT constant tlc.

The way I look at this: your rainjacket is somewhat breathable as long as it it dry. Great! When it rains, it will simply wet-out (which turns it into a non-breathable jacket), unless it is brand new or just had a Nikwax treatment like one hour ago. But even when it wets out, it still keeps the rain out (but you get wet from sweat and condensation). But most important: it still keeps the WIND out!

Being wet is not such a big deal as long as you can keep the WIND out AND have a decent baselayer (preferably merino wool) that keeps your body warm even when wet.

So that's my strategy: merino wool baselayer and not bothering too much about my rain jacket wetting out. I have no choice anyway, because I do many long multiday/ weeks/ months walks and simply don't have the opportunity to re-Nikwax my rain jacket after every shower, even if I wanted to.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 12:35:44, 27/03/20 »
That Nikwax stuff always disappoints me. It looks great just after the treatment, raindrops nicely beading off again. However, it doesn't last more than a few hours.

Really? When I clean and reproof it lasts weeks if not months.
Where there's a will ...

Ronin83

« Reply #21 on: 12:50:35, 27/03/20 »
"because I do many long multiday/ weeks/ months walks and simply don't have the opportunity to re-Nikwax my rain jacket after every shower, even if I wanted to."

Exactly. Good points.  
Not everyone goes home at the end of the day and has time for it all.  

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy