Author Topic: Places to stay - The lakes  (Read 1006 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
Places to stay - The lakes
« on: 20:39:27, 24/05/08 »
Ok folks, I hope you can help.

Late September (19th-26th) I'm looking for somewhere to stay in the lakes or nearby (say a 60 minute drive). Hotel or B&B is fine, not looking for a camp site, although static caravan is ok as long as there's shops nearby. The ability/facility for sorting a decent packed lunch would be good if it's a hotel/B&B.

There's plenty of chain hotels in the area but some of the booking requirements are stupid as I'm looking at two nights really not a week. Also I don't fancy sleeping on the edge of the M6.

Any recommendations?
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

darksky

• Veteran Member
Re: Places to stay - The lakes
« Reply #1 on: 21:39:41, 24/05/08 »
Static caravan site also a camp site 'gillside farm' in glenridding. or what about YHA as Ambleside is the flag ship of lake district YHA's it is the nicest,poshest hostel ive stayed in apart from the hostel in spain which was right on the beach front.., or theres helvellyn yha, troutbeck yha,  infact as far as any sort of head down in the lakes theres loads to choose from, some really nice b+b's in glenridding i noticed last week, Let me know what you decide dazza and if i can help some more, if you want some more info on what ive already suggested let me know yeh. O0
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

False_Summit_Veteran

« Reply #2 on: 15:59:30, 29/05/08 »
Stayed at the Old Dungeon Ghyll for the first May Bank Holiday this year.  That was great.  I've stayed on the camp site opposite enough times, so I thought I'd treat myself.  For some it may have been a bit basic, no t.v., or room service.  But I had the best scrambled eggs I've tasted in a long time.  Great food, welcoming bar and they do packed lunches too.  £55/night for en suite.

http://www.odg.co.uk/home/index.cfm
Any Moel's a goal.

kirbstones

« Reply #3 on: 10:35:12, 31/05/08 »
It's a big place.  Got anywhere in particular in mind?  I might be able to make some recommendations

Cumbria Tourism have a good accommodation site.

http://www.golakes.co.uk/accommodation

or for accommodation that particularly welcomes walkers

http://www.golakes.co.uk/accommodation/thedms.aspx?dms=1&cl=24&mstat=0&lstat=1
Phil
www.lakeland-walks.co.uk - guided walking in the Lake District and beyond.
www.windermere-way.co.uk - a walk around England's largest lake.

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:49:38, 04/06/08 »
Thanks for all the suggestions every one.

Finally booked in a caravan on Consiton Water (well not literally on, it'd be a bit wet  ;D ) so I'm told.

Will be booking early for next year although that does mean choosing where to go...
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy