Author Topic: Yorkshire three peaks  (Read 27760 times)

snapper

Re: Yorkshire three peaks
« Reply #15 on: 10:26:52, 05/12/06 »
Sorry to come to the party late on this one!
I only found out about this forum when Chris e-mailed me with a request to put a link to the forum on my web site.

Though I often climb Penyghent, Whernside, and especially Ingleborough individually, the last time I did the full 3 peaks walk was nearly 30 years ago, and so last year decided to give it another go.
My partner was spending the day in Skipton so she dropped me off at Horton at around 8:30am on a mid June morning.
As a photographer I am normally well loaded down with a rucsack full of cameras, lenses, plus a tripod, etc.
For the 3 peaks though I decided to travel as light as possible. The light rucksack made the walking so much easier and I flew up Penyghent in no time, not even stopping at the top. (In fact, I didn't stop until Ribblehead).

The day had started with low cloud, which shrouded the top of Penyghent, but had the advantage of keeping the temperature down.
As I climbed, I realised I had chosen a bad day to do the walk, as I soon started to pass dozens, then hundreds of other walkers. There was obviously a large sponsored walk going on. (Some of them had numbers over 1000 on them).
For most of the day I doubt that there was any time when I was more than 100 yards from another person!
One lady had a bit of a moment scrambling up the rocks and up into the cloud near the top. "I didn't think it would be like this. I want to go back".

The going was somewhat greasy underfoot after a few days of heavy rain and the stretch between Penyghent and Ribblehead was quite boggy in places. (Though I guess it always is).
I stopped for refreshments at the cafe at Ribblehead but was soon on my way again.
Unfortunately it was now rush hour on the sponsored walk and much of the climb up Whernside was done in a constant queue of people.

After the early low cloud it was now quite hot and humid, but very hazy. (At least I hadn't missed out on any good photo opportunities by leaving my cameras at home).
I reached the top of Whernside, still feeling pretty good, and again didn't stop.
Down to Chapel - le - Dale, and I blagged some water from a checkpoint for the sponsored walk.

On to Ingleborough, still feeling quite good, until just before the last steep bit, where I had to stop for a breather and some water. In hindsight I probably hadn't drunk enough earlier in the day, and I felt a little light headed all of a sudden.
I made it to the top and had one further stop where I demolished my remaining food and most of my liquid before heading back down to Horton.
I felt much better on the descent and got to the finish in just inside 9 hours for my lift home.

I made the distance in Anquet 23.4 miles and 5315' of climbing. (Though I think the various mapping packages vary quite a lot when it come to calculating ascent).
One think that struck me was that the 3 peaks is probably much easier now than when I last did it all those years ago. (There were no steps or other footpath "improvements" in those days).
http://www.northernlandscape.co.uk [nofollow] - Lake District & Yorkshire Dales wallpaper & screensavers.

titaniumdude

« Reply #16 on: 01:46:00, 07/12/06 »
Well done on managing it in 9 hours.  It took me much longer, but in my defense I did stop to cook twice (I just like having hot food on the trail).  Pity about the 1000 folks though cos this is a stonking trail.  We went late september which cut down on that factor a lot.  Post some pics by the way. As a photographer you could maybe give us some exclusives! :)
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

snapper

« Reply #17 on: 08:53:51, 07/12/06 »
Yes, I was pretty pleased with the time. I don't think it was much slower than I did in my youth, though, as I said, the footpath improvements have probably made the going a lot easier, esp in wet weather.
As I normally walk well loaded down I had no idea how long it was going to take (or even if I'd finish at all, my normal walks only being about 8-12 miles), so I had a plan B for an alternative pickup at Chapel le Dale if it wasn't going well.

In hindsight, choosing to do the walk on the nearest Saturday to the longest day was hardly likely to make for a quiet day so I've only got myself to blame for that.

As for photographs, I have plenty spread across 3 web sites, and many more sitting on my computer waiting to be added. (One day)!
http://www.northernlandscape.co.uk [nofollow] - Lake District & Yorkshire Dales wallpaper & screensavers.

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:04:37, 08/12/06 »
Good timing i had great fun doing this walk this year  but like you and titaniumdude said you do get charity walkers quite a lot  doing this very popular walk the day we went up it was busy traffic with people trying to get pasted which didn't bother me there was one guy who was rude to me as he was trying to get past me but apart from that i had a great day out on the hills. this walk is a must  and is great exercise.
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:33:29, 08/01/07 »
Planning to do the Yorkshire  three peaks for Feb 07 and was wondering if anyone done it in winter and what the weather was like as i was planning to do the ribble way but haven't got time now so need something to do while am off. So thought of doing the Yorkshire three peaks again as i enjoyed doing this.
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 17:52:00, 10/06/07 »
Hi  all finally can post so pictures of the yorkshire three peaks yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhh.  Like i said in my  first post.

clean it bin it

Santfekuss

« Reply #21 on: 18:13:09, 17/06/07 »
Myself and my wife are doing this as a 'warm-up' for the Lyke wake walk. Only been walking since March, average about 10 -17 mile each weekend. Hopefully complete it in the 12 hours as well  :P ;D

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 21:25:31, 13/07/07 »
I haven't done the 3 Peaks for a few years now but I still do a bit in the area. Nowadays it is a lot easier due to a lot of work having been carried out on the route. We were up Ingleborough a few days ago and walked a section of the path from Ingleborough to Sulber Nick.
Incidentally my best time was back in 1991 when I did it in 8h 5m on a Friday by myself and the following Monday in 9h 15m with the wife.....be lucky to do 2 Peaks in that now!

Dave
http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 09:50:30, 25/07/07 »
I now its been along time since I last posted on here.  But finally I found away to put pics up at last I know I said this in one of my other post.   But have been far to busy walking/working the other you now how it is so here you all go this is me Yorkshire three peaking it yeehaa LOl.

So here you go

clean it bin it

SimonOC1968

« Reply #24 on: 12:40:51, 09/09/21 »
Hi, just joined, sorry if this is a common question

I want to do the Yorshire Three Peaks in mid October

Due to my shifts and the need for some extra training I can't do it before and I am doing it in memory of a lost friend so I need to do it this year

I normally walk about 15miles (one long walk a week on a day off) and wondered what extra training to do - walk more frequently or walk further a few times?

If I have to start and finish with a head torch does the route favour any different starting points other than Horton-In-Ribblesdale

There looks to be daylight between 07:40 and 18:20

I'm not trying to beat the 12hrs OS Maps even says it will take 12hrs 41mins ? I'm walking on my own

I am realistic and would know if to terminal the walk, it looks to me if you got to the B6479 at Ingman Lodge and things weren't going well you could get a taxi to pick you up etc. Not that I am being neagtive just looking at all options. I am looking for a family member to be a support car but it clashes with another event.

Any tips really appreciate. I have excellent kit, boots, poles, waterproofs, rucksack etc.

Are there any point you go past any shops to refill drinks containers too.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 12:52:50, 09/09/21 »
Hi Simon and welcome to the forum from Liverpool.

I did this walk a couple of weeks ago with a friend.  We weren't exactly pushing it and finished in a little under 12 hours.  We could have probably saved an hour relatively comfortably, but after that we would have had to concentrate!   I too normally walk hilly 13-15 mile walks once a week and did no additional preparation.  I do, very occasionally, do 20+mile walks.  

We started at Ribblehead, did Whernside first.  This meant we finished on Pen y Ghent, and had a long but easy couple of hours walk back to the car.

If it were me, I think I would be ok doing the same way again in October.  The ascent of Whernside is relatively easy navigationally, and just a long fairly gentle uphill pull, so I would set off pre dawn with a headtorch and a gps trace to follow.  Then, even if it is getting dark towards the end, you should be on relatively easy ground between PyG and Ribblehead.  Worst case is to retrace from PyG to Horton and catch the train!

There are shops and cafes along the route between Whernside and Ingleborough and at Horton.  There may be others, I didn't really notice.

Just my thoughts and I am sure others will disagree.

Good luck with the venture - I am sure the memory of your friend will spur you along.

Paul

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 17:53:11, 09/09/21 »
Done it plenty of times. Sometimes running with minimal kit, sometimes walking with more. Superb scenery, lovely wildlife, and mostly interesting going.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

SimonOC1968

« Reply #27 on: 21:39:35, 11/09/21 »
Thanks Paul 👍

GemmaThedentist

« Reply #28 on: 14:15:41, 20/09/21 »
Hi there! Can anyone recommend what time we should be starting in the morning to complete the YTP? We are doing it at the weekend ☺️

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 15:48:02, 20/09/21 »
I would set off at first light, Gemma. Sunrise is about 0700, so maybe half an hour before?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy