Author Topic: Sign posted trails  (Read 3907 times)

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Sign posted trails
« Reply #15 on: 17:46:33, 15/12/20 »
To the OP, good luck with your search, but I would really recommend an app such as the OS.  You can plot a route in advance, and then follow it on screen - great in easy country.  If you are venturing into the hills, maybe think about a navigation course - it could get you out of lots of difficulties, and would boost your confidence so that you do not need to rely on others for your routes.

I was going to suggest OS app or OS on Viewranger but if the OP really cannot read a map that would not be much help.

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

cantreadmaps

« Reply #16 on: 18:59:00, 15/12/20 »
Thanks everyone!! I'm based in Surrey, near the North Downs so regularly walk up there, but only sections I know well. I get completely lost if I go off route.... and this is an area I know! Have also got lost walking next to the sea with a map....

I walked the West Highland Way last year but would have definitely got lost at multiple points without my companion. He is not keen to walk long trails again but I loved it.

Will look into the Apps and give it a go locally.  :)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 19:17:44, 15/12/20 »
Have also got lost walking next to the sea with a map....
 :)

Ha you're not the only one to do this, me and Mrs pdstsp mislaid the sea while walking the southwest coast path many years ago. ;D

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:05:07, 15/12/20 »
Just a "maybe" thought. Try swatting up on navigation, there are a variety of courses available. Joining a local Ramblers club may get you in with someone. who will spend timd going over it with you as well as walking in groups with little chance of getting lost.
Actually there are some good tutorials on you tube regards acquiring map reading skills.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Booga

« Reply #19 on: 21:27:51, 15/12/20 »
Thanks everyone!! I'm based in Surrey, near the North Downs so regularly walk up there, but only sections I know well. I get completely lost if I go off route.... and this is an area I know! Have also got lost walking next to the sea with a map....

I walked the West Highland Way last year but would have definitely got lost at multiple points without my companion. He is not keen to walk long trails again but I loved it.

Will look into the Apps and give it a go locally.  :)
I grew up in Surrey. As has already been mentioned, The Thames Path is well signposted and is pretty much a case of following the river except for in a few places. Canal walks would be worth looking at too, The Wey Navigation from its start at The Thames in Weybridge to the other end at Godalming is a nice route that I did by bicycle as a youth. The Kennet and Avon canal from Reading to Bristol would be another long distance canal path worth looking at.
I haven't done the Downs Link but that's in Surrey/Sussex and as it mostly follows old railway trackbed I'd guess it would also be easy to follow.

Clusterhead

« Reply #20 on: 21:53:05, 11/02/21 »
The South Downs way is a very easy path to follow  signposts all the way if you look for them Winchester to Eastbourne is best sun on your back from midday also have fresh water taps along the way ..travel lighter ...  a few farm houses for food..couple youth hostels if you need ..can wild camp all the way and you don’t come across many roads ...you can get by on one of them simple Harvey maps

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy