Author Topic: A little map reading quiz  (Read 2859 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: A little map reading quiz
« Reply #30 on: 22:20:41, 18/07/19 »
Are you  heading into the mountains?. Where ever I wish you a safe walk.  Personaly I would never set out for a walk in a remote area without a mid layer waterproof and an emergency pack.

Lol, no, it was only a 8 miles walk in the Oxfordshire part of the Chilterns. Not that remote, I started from a hamlet, soon reached another, then a longer stretch before a tiny village with a nice pub, after that the major part of the walk was along field edges and through woodland, passing the odd farm or two. So I was never far from civilisation, though I didn't have a phone signal for much of the day.

The weather was hot, up to 25C, and humid, with light cloud mainly, just as had been forecast, and I was glad I wasn't carrying the weight of waterproofs or warmwear.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 20:37:31, 20/07/19 »
Funnily enough we commented on our group walk on Sunday about a fell runner on Dartmoor.  A busted ankle at sunset and he could have been lying there for several hours, cold no food very little to drink. It's not like modern kit heavy.
Fellrunning is a real compromise. Somewhat like alpine climbing. Too little kit and you could be in for a hard time if things go wrong, too much kit and things are more likely to go wrong.
Personally, for a couple of hours running on Dartmoor I carry water, hat, a 2.5 layer waterproof shell (less than 200g), a couple of snacks, e-lite torch, phone, whistle, foil survival bag, lifesaving first aid kit, map and compass. That fits in a bumbag or vest.
For something in mountains, eg the Lakes, I carry that plus more water and food, a Paramo Torres Lightweight gilet, better torch, personal first aid kit and a 2-man shelter. Need a vest for that lot.
If leading a group I'd swap the vest for a rucksack and carry a group shelter, group first aid kit and lots of spare food.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 22:47:14, 20/07/19 »
Fellrunning is a real compromise. Somewhat like alpine climbing. Too little kit and you could be in for a hard time if things go wrong, too much kit and things are more likely to go wrong.
Personally, for a couple of hours running on Dartmoor I carry water, hat, a 2.5 layer waterproof shell (less than 200g), a couple of snacks, e-lite torch, phone, whistle, foil survival bag, lifesaving first aid kit, map and compass. That fits in a bumbag or vest.
For something in mountains, eg the Lakes, I carry that plus more water and food, a Paramo Torres Lightweight gilet, better torch, personal first aid kit and a 2-man shelter. Need a vest for that lot.
If leading a group I'd swap the vest for a rucksack and carry a group shelter, group first aid kit and lots of spare food.

That kit list sounds entirely  sensible to me. 

Completely off topic, but are you doing the Dartmoor Highground Marathon at the end of August.  I am toying with giving it a try, at a fast walking pace.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy