Author Topic: TR - Ben Hope  (Read 6216 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Ben Hope
« Reply #15 on: 08:29:05, 22/08/18 »

Foinaven is really worth the effort, I had it all to myself when i did it. Read about it http://donthaveone-owen.blogspot.com/2017/06/the-far-north-west.html

Quite a walk. You had a big day on Foinaven - at least you had shaken off "The Limpet"  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 08:34:48, 22/08/18 »
We had a camp near to Loch Dionard after walking in from the Ben Stack area (also a fine hill to ascend) however the biting insects ensured that we got moving very early to ascend to Foinaven via a route on Lord Reay's seat.  August perhaps is best avoided for camping in this area.   ;)  The Corbetts found along your proposed walk to the North come in two's so good value for your days out walking.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 08:20:20, 23/08/18 »
We had a camp near to Loch Dionard after walking in from the Ben Stack area (also a fine hill to ascend) however the biting insects ensured that we got moving very early to ascend to Foinaven via a route on Lord Reay's seat.  August perhaps is best avoided for camping in this area.   ;)  The Corbetts found along your proposed walk to the North come in two's so good value for your days out walking.

Loch Dionard looks good for a wild camp, certainly; midges perhaps inevitable during the summer months. I was a bit disappointed in Ben Stack; its a fine enough hill, but it is overshadowed by it's more spectacular neighbours.

Really not interested in bagging Corbetts, vizzavona, or Munros, Grahams, Donalds, Wainwrights, Hewitts, Marilyns, Nuttalls, Deweys, Uncle Tom Cobleys for that matter; I just want to enjoy walking in fantastic mountains  :)
« Last Edit: 08:41:57, 23/08/18 by richardh1905 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 10:06:21, 23/08/18 »
Was up on Costa Head yesterday, the northernmost tip of Orkney Mainland - could see Ben Hope no less than 71.5 miles away!
« Last Edit: 12:08:32, 23/08/18 by richardh1905 »

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 12:39:43, 23/08/18 »

Loch Dionard looks good for a wild camp, certainly; midges perhaps inevitable during the summer months. I was a bit disappointed in Ben Stack; its a fine enough hill, but it is overshadowed by it's more spectacular neighbours.

Really not interested in bagging Corbetts, vizzavona, or Munros, Grahams, Donalds, Wainwrights, Hewitts, Marilyns, Nuttalls, Deweys, Uncle Tom Cobleys for that matter; I just want to enjoy walking in fantastic mountains  :)

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 13:06:00, 23/08/18 »
I guess that you have me down as a book ticking hill bagger.... :)  No just a diary keeper of my trips in the hills over a period of nearly sixty enjoyable years.
Ben Stack came into the frame during a day out with my wife on Ben Hee and the long windedly named Meallan Liath Coire Mhic Dhughaill on a day when Ben Stack was visible and dominating the view to the North west for most of the period that we were out on the hills.  After an overnight in the Scourie camping perched above the sea we just had to pay the Stack a visit.  That visit too was a memorable day with very fine views of the Quinag Hills and of course the group including Foinaven and we too found that the summit area to be a bit underwhelming but by continuing out to the slightly lower peak overlooking the sea was a more worthy top for this hill. On the way down we were hit with the full force of an early summer rain storm saw us arriving at the  motor water with pouring out of our boots. I guess that every hill-day has a wee story to be told.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 14:49:04, 23/08/18 »
I guess that you have me down as a book ticking hill bagger.... :)  No just a diary keeper of my trips in the hills over a period of nearly sixty enjoyable years.
Ben Stack came into the frame during a day out with my wife on Ben Hee and the long windedly named Meallan Liath Coire Mhic Dhughaill on a day when Ben Stack was visible and dominating the view to the North west for most of the period that we were out on the hills.  After an overnight in the Scourie camping perched above the sea we just had to pay the Stack a visit.  That visit too was a memorable day with very fine views of the Quinag Hills and of course the group including Foinaven and we too found that the summit area to be a bit underwhelming but by continuing out to the slightly lower peak overlooking the sea was a more worthy top for this hill. On the way down we were hit with the full force of an early summer rain storm saw us arriving at the  motor water with pouring out of our boots. I guess that every hill-day has a wee story to be told.

I'm an avid journal keeper too; not quite stretching back 60 years though. I started mine when I joined my university mountaineering club in 1984, and I suppose my trip reports are an extension of this.

I've been as guilty of 'bagging' as anyone in the past, and I do know how many Munros that I have climbed (not that many), but I no longer plan walks based upon wanting to tick a peak off some list. Perhaps I no longer need that kind of motivation, and I'm just as happy climbing a peak and then coming down via some out of the way corrie or glen as I am bagging multiple tops on a trip - equally satisfying.

I do remember Ben Stack being a good day; we went up from the west and descended down the eastern side, returning along the minor road, which in some respects I enjoyed the most, but as I said, it felt second best when looking at the likes of Arkle and Quinaig.
« Last Edit: 13:40:14, 24/08/18 by richardh1905 »

Petrolhead

« Reply #22 on: 14:55:51, 23/08/18 »
Great TR and photos. Added this to my list for Scotland when I finally get up there. Cheers.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 13:39:12, 24/08/18 »
Great TR and photos. Added this to my list for Scotland when I finally get up there. Cheers.

Thanks Petrolhead; the Highlands have so much to offer.

Petrolhead

« Reply #24 on: 14:33:39, 24/08/18 »
Thanks Petrolhead; the Highlands have so much to offer.

Oh absolutely! My wife grew up in Texas so she's not a fan of anything below clement weather! I'm trying to ease her in little by little. She has just bought waterproof trousers and jacket so the signs are good.

I think next year hopefully. SO much I want to see up there.

snoopdawg

« Reply #25 on: 20:33:30, 25/08/18 »
Some excellent photos in there.

Did a similar route in reverse to yours when I was on Ben Hope in Oct 2015 descended from Ben Hope via the rim of An Garbh-Choire, onto Sail Romascaig and down via Creag Riabhach and to the waterfall leading to where you parked. Great mountain.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 10:31:00, 26/08/18 »

Thanks snoopdawg.

Your route description had me reaching for my old 1:50,000 OS map - An Garbh Choire and Sail Romascaig are not named on it! Bing maps to the rescue. Looks like a fine way up; its good to get off the well trodden paths.

One thing that I note - the OS maps, even 1:25000, do not show the well used path to the top; Viewranger better in this respect, although their depiction of the cliffs is sketchy at best.
« Last Edit: 10:37:22, 26/08/18 by richardh1905 »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy