Author Topic: The gritstone trail  (Read 1159 times)

Captainbudge95

The gritstone trail
« on: 10:42:41, 07/10/20 »
Im going to be attempting the gritstone trail in one day at the end of this month, I'm raising money for a suicide awareness charity in the process i was wondering if anyone has any advice

cheers.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: The gritstone trail
« Reply #1 on: 14:53:17, 07/10/20 »
Welcome to the forum from Devon

It is not a route I am familiar with but it is 56km long if you walk the entire length (according to Wikipedia).  This means you will in all probability have to start and finish in the dark.  So my first piece of advice would be to remember to take a torch or head lamp.  Do you know the trail well?  If not, my second piece of advice would be to reconnoitre the route before you start.  Might be an idea to download the route in some detail into a navigation app such as ViewRanger on a smartphone.  Although it is claimed the route is well way marked, ViewRanger will warn you if you are going off route, which will save you time and let you know how far you have got left to go.
Solvitur Ambulando

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:18:37, 07/10/20 »
If it is the end of the month then hopefully you are confident in your training and kit.

If you've not walked it before then I agree with ninthace, if at all possible walk it in sections soon. If you can't do it all then concentrate on the bits you will do in the dark.

Start early. When you are cold, wet and tired at the end of the day then it getting dark is a one more thing to darken your mood and help you make bad decisions.
You will have approx 7.00am - 4.30pm between sunrise and sun set. At 4km/h you will have 14 hours walking so should be setting off, in my opinion,  at 3.00am at the latest.
If you've not done much night walking then go out at 3.00am and see how tricky navigation can be and how much slower you walk than in daylight.

I hope none of this is teaching you to suck eggs, you could be really experienced or a complete novice.

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:54:09, 08/10/20 »
Greetings from North Cheshire.

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:20:04, 08/10/20 »
Im going to be attempting the gritstone trail in one day at the end of this month, I'm raising money for a suicide awareness charity in the process i was wondering if anyone has any advice

cheers.

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:31:31, 08/10/20 »
I have walked it twice .
From Disley to Kidsgrove , both served by good rail links .
Both times I walked it leisurely over three days .
Stopping overnight on campsites .So went off trail ,hence did a lot more than the 35miles
It's a brilliant walk .
Before  I did the full distance  I had already done many a walk and Recce's on various parts of the trail .  ( Which Is Advisable)

Ninthace  and Ridge have already given you Invaluable advice .

Assuming your a good outdoor walker and got all the walking gear.
You will need good waterproof boots and Gear .
As It can be very windy and exposed at 300-400 metres  and If it rains the terrain gets very muddy and becomes hard going .
I'm sure you will have taken It Into consideration .
So I would definitely take In a rucksack as well as essentials .
Lightweight hikeing  stick , (handy for warding off cows ) first aid kit , Small pair binoculars very very Important .... When you loose the Waymarker ( Black boot mark Incorporating a Large G )
and seeing the trail ahead .
Swing gates and stiles.
As advised previous Head torch/Hand torch .
And for safety in the dark .
A High Viz Tabard with pockets for bits and bobs ,
High pitched Whistle .
Energy snacks , Hydration drinks such as Hi-five or SIS  tablet form to put in your drinks bottle .
I used the Explorer O/S 268 for Reference .
And used a Highlighter to show All  the Trail route

If you study the Map you can query any part of the Trail you wish to know about .

snaderson

« Reply #6 on: 10:05:22, 12/10/20 »
I walked it south to north (I was walking home towards Stockport) a few years ago over two days and enjoyed it. I was familiar with a few sections beforehand and didn't find navigation too hard, as I recall, but I expect there'll be some tricky bits (round Lyme Park, Bollington, Kerridge Hill).

Recently the footbridge over Harrop Brook NE of Bollington has been declared 'closed' as unsafe, though I've crossed it a couple of times and I can't see the problem.

Also, thinking of Lyme Park, the gates might be closed if you're passing through too early/too late, in which case you'd have to use the easterly bypass route by Bow Stones.

Oh and the path by the conduit above the River Dane north of Rushton Spencer is always a mudfest!

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:50:12, 12/10/20 »
I walked it south to north (I was walking home towards Stockport) a few years ago over two days and enjoyed it. I was familiar with a few sections beforehand and didn't find navigation too hard, as I recall, but I expect there'll be some tricky bits (round Lyme Park, Bollington, Kerridge Hill).

Recently the footbridge over Harrop Brook NE of Bollington has been declared 'closed' as unsafe, though I've crossed it a couple of times and I can't see the problem.

Also, thinking of Lyme Park, the gates might be closed if you're passing through too early/too late, in which case you'd have to use the easterly bypass route by Bow Stones.

Oh and the path by the conduit above the River Dane north of Rushton Spencer is always a mudfest!

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:37:23, 12/10/20 »
Snaderson ,
It's nice to see that you have done the Gritstone trail also .
And given Indept advice .
And highlighted some area' of problems.

I'm Assuming Captainbudge95 will be coming from Disley and before East Lodge going Into Lyme Park .
The Alternative route after Bollinghurst bridge is Signposted  South to
Coc* -Knoll and come out onto Mudstone lane and up to Bowstonegate.   ( Bow Stones.)

If Harrop Brook is Closed !
( I crossed It two years ago, but it was hot dry sunny weather)
You can walk down the lane past Berristall Hall Farm to Spurley lane to Oakenbank.
Further on down the trail

Arriving at Barleigh Ford Bridge .
Where the Gritstone Trail And the DVW,  Dane Valley Way converge
And the path by the Conduit ( Disused canal) you pointed out is a Mudfest on the way to Rushton Spencer .
I can confirm that......... It's all overgrown ,  nettles thorn bush's ,and when it's wet you get soaked .
So all these problems to be aware of .
The Trail Is well marked and signposted .

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy